ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords own brand oil???

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Just been down to halfords to look at some new oil for the 172, was gonna go with some thing like mobil 1 for £50 but then halfords own brand caught my eye, not only is it £32 for 5litres of 5w30 fully synthetic that meets the specs of bmw & merc but they are throwing in a socket set worht £35 for free! so my question is, is halfords stuff good? or best leave it & pay £50 odd, its just that it claims to meet approval of beemer so surely good enough of a renault lol

There was a thread on this, possibly on another forum, Halfords oil is actually Comma Syner-G 5w-40 fully synthetic rebranded for Halfords. It meets all the usual industry standards and use it in my car. I very much doubt there is additional benefit in using more expensive stuff if it meets the same requirements, especially as I change the oil every 6k anyways.

Oh and Halfords also do a 5w-50, marketed for enthusiastic/track drivers for the same price. I hazard a guess that its also Comma's oil, the Motorsport 5w-50 oil.

BMW M135i
Its 5w40 you want and its more than good enough for most people, made by comma so its a well known brand and i've been using it for ages now no problems.

There was a thread on this, possibly on another forum, Halfords oil is actually Comma Syner-G 5w-40 fully synthetic rebranded for Halfords. It meets all the usual industry standards and use it in my car. I very much doubt there is additional benefit in using more expensive stuff if it meets the same requirements, especially as I change the oil every 6k anyways.

110% totally agree with you, well said

LY 182
magnatec is crap oil.. strange stuff aswell if you take an engine apart thats been using magnatec everything is purple

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Just been to halfords, got fully syn 5w40, & the free socket set, thought it was only going to be a cheap shite one but its a halfords pro range :cool: , so £32 for 5l of oil & a socket set ;)

LY 182
is the socket set remotely decent? if so i think i'll go get some oil could do with a little tool kit to stick under a seat or something

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Really happy with it for that price.. although if the engine f***s up i may have diffrent thoughts.. although atleast i'll have a socket set to remove the old engine lol

DSC05054.jpg

Clio 1.2 MPI 1997
I swear by castrol:S never had a problem with it, but the 5w30 can make renault engines sound rough 10w40 owns my 1.7 engine has done 210000miles ive only used castrol and more recently magnetec(last 3 -4years i think)...changed the clutch 3 times tho :rasp: she's still going strong too.

nothing wrong with halfords oil though ive used it in other cars.

btw nice socket set :D

LY 182
well i already got that oil in it at the mo, its not due another change yet but think i'll get some for the freebie

could even go as far as saying its worth dealing with the intollerable moron staff they have in my local branch

E30 318iS x2
Next time, make sure you get a trade card and if they ask blag it to them you work at a car garage and you'll save loads on fluids, tools, bulbs and batteries etc. ;)

LY 182
i do work at a garage and i have a trade card lol.

dont like using our own oil though we only stock 10/40 and 5/30

inferno 182 both cup pack
i work at halfords, our own oil is as u say comma, which as ppl no is very gud stuff, about blagging card, used 2 be done not no more mate u have 2 bring u certs in , they get scanned in 2 comp then card issued, if not no card simply as that now am affraid