ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hair line crack on 3GS.

Fiat Panda 100hp
Little tiny crack has appeared on the back of my white 3GS. Kind of annoying, think I will be swapped when I go to the apple store with it? Hoping so.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
i dropped mine on the floor earlier in work, yet didnt get a crack :)

if you do get a crack do you have to go to a apple store? or can you do it online, as the closest one to me is in liverpool :(

Fiat Panda 100hp
No, it's near the top right hand corner, but doesn't look like a crack from a drop.

if they look at it, and feel its a fault rather than it being cracked, they will replace the handset. cant replace just the cover i dont think, and if you can, they dont like to fix them.

Markie, literally walk in and they should swap it, if it is in warranty and doesn't look like damage caused by a drop.

I bought my 3G second hand, had a couple of scratches but perfectly acceptable condition. Had a tiny crack, walked in, said I was concerned as it will be used for business calls and they swapped it for a brand spanker! Now rolling on a brand new one!

E87 118d M Sport
mine is in MINT condition. been in a case since day one. it has a TINY little hairline crack by the silent switch. from the switch to the bezel.
i have no doubt that they would not question it being dropped (it hasnt).

is there a limit on how many times you can do it through its life? do you have to take proof of purchase etc from 02 (i.e. your contract info?)

its just the nearest apple is in bristol, so quite a trek if they just say no!

Monaco 53/468
same here mate, nearest apple = Bristol. My 3G black is cracked by the charge point, never been dropped, always cased. D'ya think they will replace it?

Markie, they will swap it if you show that it is in warranty, not sure about outside warranty. It is a factory design fault so yes they will honour it as many times as you like, unless they feel you are taking the piss.

E87 118d M Sport
kewl! ill get down there in the next few weeks then!
have to find out my warranty docs. but ill just take everything!

cheers mate. may as well get it done before i do actually drop it lol!

wonder if i can get my gelaskin off without damaging it so i can put it on the new handset

E87 118d M Sport
i will phone before travelling, to make sure that they will definitely do it, but more so to check they have stock!

bristol one is one i've been too with the mrs for her replacements as i live prertty much right next to it. they have been awesome in there, always had replacements in the draw and never questioned it. she's on her 4th in 9 months now........

you all should have bought a blackberry ;)

Monaco 53/468
BANG TIDY! I'm off to Brizzle the weekend then!

Just imagine they have no 3G 8GB in stock and can only offer me a 3GS ***on knee's praying***

sorry to disapoint mate, but they can only swap like for like. even if its old model. asked if we could swap the mrs phone for a white one - no, asked if i could swap my old ipod touch for current version - no.....

Monaco 53/468
furry muff, hey ho a new phone is a bonus, not fussed if its the same model tbh

Only thing now is unlocking it if it comes with 3.1 out of the box (thats if they even give me a new phone)

I called Apple about ten mins ago and they said they do replace them but need to see the phone before they can give a defo answer - fair shout, mines defo not been dropped and ALWAYS been in hard case

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Woo, my phone has cracks where the screws are near the mic and speaker and noticed one near the mute button. off to genius bar when I visit Leicester on Nov 6th. Will it be a straight swap despite the fact mine has a few scratches on the screen?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I went into the Apple store today...

Went in, said to the guy that I was concerned about it and he took it in the back, few mins later he popped out and said it wouldn't be covered as it was acc dam and they didn't have the phone in stock anyway. I was pissed to say the least.. Explained that it hadn't ever been dropped and there was no other scratches or marks on it etc but he was having non of it, he just said that I could call the support line for them to tell me the same thing.

After this I went for a meal and after a few beers and looking on the internet I found this site http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2321 (which shows the exact same crack as mine) so thought I'd go back in and try my luck again, this time another guy just said same as the other guy and no, even after showing him the website on my phone. I then asked for the manager as I was fed up with the BS they was feeding me. Manager came out and without even arguing offered a replacement straight away.

So the moral of the story is if they say no just argue your point and request a manager if need be and they 'should' replace it.

Polo GTi
I think it helps how you present yorself when you go in the shop, if you go in with a hint of an attitude and you want a new one, they seem to dig the heels in, I went in polite as you like, with visible drop marks on mine near the crack, and the woman just replaced it and she apologised to me as they couldn't replace the case, but would I be happy with a new one.

TBH I was expecting them to fob me off, but no, great service, well from the Trafford one

E87 118d M Sport
when you get a replacement, do you get a new 1 year warranty / a continuation of your original warranty / or a limited new warranty as youev had a replacemeny?

the crack on mine is between the silent slider and the bezel so theres no way it was caused from dropping it (not that i ever had), i just dont reali wanna swap it for a new handset so early into the warranty if the replacement comes with a limited warranty? (they are new handsets too, not refurbs?)

Polo GTi
You get either 90 day warranty or whatever is left of your 12 month warranty, which ever is the longest, they will tell you in the store when they plug the phone in to their computers.

be careful though, as sometimes the info on there computers is wrong. the purchase or warranty start date is shown as when the outlet you bought it from actually recieved it from apple, and not when you bought it so you need proof of purchase to prove that you bought it when you did otherwise you may be missing out on a couple of months / weeks warranty which with the failphone, could be quite important....

Polo GTi
be careful though, as sometimes the info on there computers is wrong. the purchase or warranty start date is shown as when the outlet you bought it from actually recieved it from apple, and not when you bought it so you need proof of purchase to prove that you bought it when you did otherwise you may be missing out on a couple of months / weeks warranty which with the failphone, could be quite important....

I got mine on contract with o2, and my warranty is from from when I activated the phone, same day I recieved it?

Fiat Panda 100hp
I think it helps how you present yorself when you go in the shop, if you go in with a hint of an attitude and you want a new one, they seem to dig the heels in, I went in polite as you like, with visible drop marks on mine near the crack, and the woman just replaced it and she apologised to me as they couldn't replace the case, but would I be happy with a new one.

TBH I was expecting them to fob me off, but no, great service, well from the Trafford one

I wasn't being a ass or anything, simply said I have this crack on the back which I'm concerned about. I didn't imply I wanted a new one. He checked it out and because he said it wasn't one of their known issue they wouldn't do anything. When I came back for the second visit I was the same.. even asked for the manager in a clam manner. I know getting pissed with a attitude is going to get you nowhere.

Polo GTi
I wasn't being a ass or anything, simply said I have this crack on the back which I'm concerned about. I didn't imply I wanted a new one. He checked it out and because he said it wasn't one of their known issue they wouldn't do anything. When I came back for the second visit I was the same.. even asked for the manager in a clam manner. I know getting pissed with a attitude is going to get you nowhere.

haha I wasnt talking about you, I was talking about my experience in general, quite a few people at work have had the same problem, same store, obv not the same assistant, but they got told to f-off!

Not saying you did, but agree on the attitude.

I know this sounds funny, but I went in suited and booted, had a nice chat with him about products as well hinting at buying stuff and then mentioned that I used the phone for work and was worried that the crack might affect it's abilities.

Bosh, bang, brand spanker. Top guy as well.

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
So glad i found this thread, i got a 3gs on release day to replace my 3g and on about day 3 of owning it, i scratched the screen...Its bugged me ever since...I just rang trafford apple store and blagged him saying my phone will randomly crash when i use the camera. He said there can sometimes be a fault between the camera and the iphone software, and that i should bring it in and most likely it will be a swap out as its an intermittent fault...So im off to TC tonight! :cool:

Fiat Panda 100hp
So glad i found this thread, i got a 3gs on release day to replace my 3g and on about day 3 of owning it, i scratched the screen...Its bugged me ever since...I just rang trafford apple store and blagged him saying my phone will randomly crash when i use the camera. He said there can sometimes be a fault between the camera and the iphone software, and that i should bring it in and most likely it will be a swap out as its an intermittent fault...So im off to TC tonight! :cool:

Lol cheeky.

I'm going to do my best to get mine swapped next May. Then wrap it up in cotton wool so I can sell it for decent dollar! lol..

E87 118d M Sport
yeah i think i might do it before tho if you dont affect the original warranty. i dont want to drop mine and damage it and then apple say that the current crack is cuz of abuse etc.

Hi guys

Looking for a little help. I've got some little cracks on my 3GS. They're pretty small there's one between the chrome and earphone jack and also one coming from the port at the bottom. Phone has only been dropped once (inside) and did not cause the cracks, you really have to look for the little "pot holes" damage from the drop.

My problem is living in York it's a bit of a trek to an Apple store so I wanna be sure before I go that it will be resolved.

Here's a few pics, not very good, was hard to get it right. Any help would be great. :)

DSC04428.jpg

DSC04425.jpg

DSC04424.jpg

DSC04374.jpg

DSC04373.jpg

DSC04376.jpg