ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had enough of Linux

RIP Dan
Right, i have had enough of Linux.

Installed Ubuntu on my Dell desktop a while ago and want windows back.

I put a bootable XP disk in and it comes back with cant find NTloader and then Linux boots up.

What do i need to do?

Its something to do with the filesystem??

Help?

ps i am an idiot so dont go starting with serious geeky tech talk, imagine you are speaking to a 5 year old instead.:eek:

u need to press f12 on startup to go into the boot menu and just make sure u r selecting the cd drive

also make sure ur disc isnt marked

Indeed.. but this is also Linux's main hurdle into the desktop market.

With no disrespect at all, not being able to boot from a CD, just tells me any Linux distribution will be a major problem for bully to use. It's just not near the level it needs to be to be taken up by the majority of people.

Windows and OSX are SO far ahead for a wide range of audience it's unreal.

On the flip side, if you do master a Linux distro or BSD for example, there's a whole range of high level features to benefit from.

If you can use Linux, you can use Windows/OSX with ease.. so I find myself in the perfect position of being able to pick any OS dependant on the job it needs to do.
If you can use OSX, you may find Windows unusable. If you can use Windows, you may find OSX unusable... so you just don't get the same level of flexibility :)

Moral of the story, as always, use whichever suits you and your tasks best :p

Now, wheres my Windows Server license? ClioSport server anyone? ;)

RIP Dan
Lol, the problem is me, yep i fully admit it KDF.

We are all experts in our own field though are we not?

I would imagine you would be the lost doing what i do.

Anyhow back to my problem.

It is trying to boot from the CD, i went into setup and done all this before i posted this thread.

The cant find NTloader comes from the CD trying to load windows back on?? i am assuming this.

Then it gets fed up and boots from hard drive and runs Ubuntu.

Again, any ideas?

For the record KDF the main reason why? everytime i do something simple it fcuks up. I dont see how it can be me.
Just put WPA on my router and changed it on Ubuntu...seemed simple enough.
Whilst Ubuntu was changing interface which took a while all seemed ok.
Then when i tried to start Firefox......lock up, complete freeze. 2 lights on number keypad just flash constantly and i have to unplug PC.

I have tried sutting down gracefully etc as i know what Linux is like if you just switch it off.....i kept getting the same problem, lock up everytime.

But Linux doesnt lock up/freeze i hear you geeks saying.

I fckuing well does my son.

Windows is just easier for me, ok.

So some on geeks, what do i need to do?

RIP Dan
I will get another.

The only reason i say about the ile system is when i used google and typed in cant find NTloader it was mentioned that trying to upgrade from win 95/98 to XP ( i think) the file systems where different...FAT and NTFS maybe?? the cd couldnt boot and something needed to be changed. Could it be that the XP disc i have is looking for a filesystem and Linux doesnt use it?

Perhaps the geeks on here are not as good at Linux as they thought??lol

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
It's hard to understand what you've actually written.

From what I can gather, it sounds like your installation cd is fucked or you're not actually booting from CD.

Unplug your hard drives and try again. It'll either give the same error, ask you insert a disc or will start windows setup.

At least then you'll know where the problem lies.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ye I must admit I am finding it hard to make out what your trying to say.

If you HAD ubuntu on the system and wanted to go back to just loading windows then its just a case of booting from the windows installation cd and installing it.

If you had dual boot and want to restore just the windows side of things then you need to restore the MBR.

To be honest from what you were saying it sounds more like a hardware fault. A complete lock up on linux doesn't JUST happen, normally you would get a kernel panic or something.

RIP Dan
OK what i am saying is this:

Got Ubuntu on pc.

Dont want anymore.

Put XP CD in (bootable).

Boot seq was cd first anyway.

CD spins and message "cant find NTloader" appears

Then Ubuntu loads

I assume:

XP CD spins and tries to load but cant find NTloader whatever the hell that is. Then goes to 2nd choice ie hard drive which is Ubuntu.

why does the NTloader message come up? and why doesnt CD boot?
i am away for work in France at mo, i will try the cd on my windows laptop to see if it boots when i get home, or will that just load and delete everything? Should i try another cd on the Ubuntu machine?

I dont knwo what a kernal panic is KDF but is does freeze and lock after trying to change to WPA. (totally seperate issue to XP install)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
OK what i am saying is this:

Got Ubuntu on pc.

Dont want anymore.

Put XP CD in (bootable).

Boot seq was cd first anyway.

CD spins and message "cant find NTloader" appears

Then Ubuntu loads

I assume:

XP CD spins and tries to load but cant find NTloader whatever the hell that is. Then goes to 2nd choice ie hard drive which is Ubuntu.

why does the NTloader message come up? and why doesnt CD boot?
i am away for work in France at mo, i will try the cd on my windows laptop to see if it boots when i get home, or will that just load and delete everything? Should i try another cd on the Ubuntu machine?

I dont knwo what a kernal panic is KDF but is does freeze and lock after trying to change to WPA. (totally seperate issue to XP install)

I'll wager KDF's kidneys that your copy of the XP disc is b0rked.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Me too..

Make sure you dont have any usb stuff plugged in when you try to boot XP though.

RIP Dan
Cool, thnks for the advice geeks ;-)

I will try it this weekend and see what happens.

When/where do i collect my kidneys if the disc is ok?