ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

had a bump - people claiming off me

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
Hello,

A bit of advice if you could!

I was driving to work on Friday and ended up shunting a car infront of me about 3-5mph. We were on a roundabout and they suddenly braked… Pulled over on the side of the road there was no damage to any of the cars. I gave them my details, they did the same took a photo to prove no damage and drove to work.

Today, I've received a call from my car insurance saying I've been accused of driving into the back of the car; the people have received injuries and are claiming off me!

They both were fine; the woman was more bothered about her chocolate cake. They said they were fine and they drove off to their destination as did I.

The woman on the phone was really arsey and said that they aren't putting in a claim for damage to the car but to injuries to themselves. My reply to that was if the car wasn't damaged, how can they be injured? I received no injuries (admittedly a bit of pride damaged)

So I'm looking at losing my 2 years no claims and having to pay for someone who I think is blatantly trying to pull a fast one.

Where do I stand with this, I'm not going to roll over and admit that i've caused them injuries when they were walking around fine and the person bent over to take a picture of my car...

Thanks

(sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm filled with rage)

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Ya gonna get bummed.

How, honestly can you prove any other way? Grease up!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I had near enough exactly the same thing happen to me.

never heard what happened with it tbh I filled the claim form out and that's the last I heared of it. This was in 2008

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
but wouldn't there be hospital reports and wouldn't have got a visit from the police with them giving me a incident number?

Clio 182
Sadly GiT is correct. Bend over and think of Wales.

The only (tiny) glimmer of hope is that there's now a drive to cut down on whiplash claims, but basically you're screwed.

Clio 182
but wouldn't there be hospital reports and wouldn't have got a visit from the police with them giving me a incident number?

It's not hard to get an appointment with your GP and go "oowww my neck's is so sore", no x-ray required.... "soft tissue damage"

Did I heard you say that you saw their reverse lights come on?

;)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Guessing it's to late to deny it now, Only advice I can give is don't drive so close to the car in front.

The actual cost of the claim seems to be irrelevant, if it's 50p or £1000000000. It's just a claim in the insurance companies eyes.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
The police needed calling to the incident if it was bad, and weren't. You can claim that.

It's annoying but it's you versus them, and you'll not of given your details if you hadn't hit them. That's what they'll say. They just make out you was going quicker than you was.

It'll get messy - and as you cannot prove your speed they get to dictate it because they are "The Victims".

At least if you have their address you can get in some revenge first.

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
In all honestly I didn't see any brake lights, I slammed my foot on the brake when I realised what was happening. I was going to ask them to see their brake lights, but I thought if they didn't work they'd say I'd broke them...

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You'll be bent over, and then the insurers will slip it straight up. It'll hurt at first, but you'll get used to it eventually.

It's not like they make any effort to fight false whiplash claims either.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
A trick scammers do is disengage their brake lights on a switch... no lights and WALLOP.

Clio 220 Trophy
Mate,
You shouldn't have exchanged details if both parties agreed that there was no damage, what's your insurance fully comp or third party, if fully comp have you got any legal protection on the policy ?

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
Thanks for the advice, I find it an absolute joke that people can get away with stuff like this! My insurance company claims on my documentation that I've got £100k's worth of legal advice but failed to offer me any adivce on what I can do, except for having a massive rant at me!

To get me on the road I had to pay £3200 for third party fire and theft. This year I felt they raped me by paying £700 - when people have driven into me and I've not wanted to get insurance involved. I'd understand if I'd driven to at 30mph and was arsey when I got out the car, but for them to say they were fine and don't worry about it then to screw me over is a total kick in the balls.

Clio 220 Trophy
The police needed calling to the incident if it was bad, and weren't. You can claim that.

It's annoying but it's you versus them, and you'll not of given your details if you hadn't hit them. That's what they'll say. They just make out you was going quicker than you was.

It'll get messy - and as you cannot prove your speed they get to dictate it because they are "The Victims".

At least if you have their address you can get in some revenge first.

If I remember right GiT, the police have to called to any accidents involving personnel injuries

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
However, such an 'injury' can develop a few weeks after the accident. In which case the police don't have to get involved.

Someone's trying it on me too, although I think they've left it a little late at 6 months. :headno:

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
I'm half tempted to get some of my friends to film them coming out of there house to see if they've received injuries... how would this stand up legally?

Clio 220 Trophy
Thanks for the advice, I find it an absolute joke that people can get away with stuff like this! My insurance company claims on my documentation that I've got £100k's worth of legal advice but failed to offer me any adivce on what I can do, except for having a massive rant at me!

To get me on the road I had to pay £3200 for third party fire and theft. This year I felt they raped me by paying £700 - when people have driven into me and I've not wanted to get insurance involved. I'd understand if I'd driven to at 30mph and was arsey when I got out the car, but for them to say they were fine and don't worry about it then to screw me over is a total kick in the balls.

Ring your insurance company back, explain the situation to them again, try to make them understand that's this is a stitch up.
If you feel that strong about it and don,t get any joy with the insurance you could get a solicitor involved , it's up to you really.

Last edited:
Speaking to Elephant the other day the bloke on the phone said they don't even investigate the personal injury claims and offer up to £1500 for any claim received. Dont even ask for any evidence.

The culture of claiming personal injury is f*cked.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I had a lad try it with me via The Accident Group. 10+ Years ago now.

He rode out in front of me on his bike and I hit him, he bounced off and went head first into the side of a Hyundai. Face was wrecked.

He tried to sue me for the injuries - but got nowhere as I drew and plotted his course V's mine. He basically came out of a 1 way system the wrong way, going towards another one way lane. In other words he was in all the wrong places and couldn't explain it except "going to sign on".

So he didn't get a penny. Glad too, because if CCTV were used they would of seen I aimed for him lol.

Clio 220 Trophy
However, such an 'injury' can develop a few weeks after the accident. In which case the police don't have to get involved.

Someone's trying it on me too, although I think they've left it a little late at 6 months. :headno:

I tend to agree with you there, 6 months.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I know this sounds really stupid and potentially illegal, and it may well be too late in your case - but couldn't you just deny the accident ever happening? If there's no damage to their car then what proof is there that there was any accident? If there were witness reports, won't they just side with you and say you were going so slow there's no possible way you could have injured them?

Also, when you exchanged details, did you get theirs? If so the least you could do is take a s**t and post it through their letterbox - I f**king hate people that do s**t like this, so many money grabbing b*****ds, they don't give a s**t about the bigger picture as soon as some money is put infront of them, does anyone give a s**t about the greater impact on everyone else anymore? When did the world become such a selfish place - makes me sad.

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Currently going through this myself, but there was no contact with mine! Fight it to the end, your insurance company should be on your side, when it goes to court (if it goes that far) and the judge finds out there is no damage it will get thrown out.

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
Basically then I'm f*cked then by the looks of things. Reading up on it on the tinternet, looks like 100's of people have been in the same boat as me and have lost everytime.

You'd have thought if car insurance companies are loosing millions of pounds over this they'd have down a massive clampdown on it. I guess next year i'll be buying a mo-ped...

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
How much are they claiming for? Is there no way you can just pay them directly without going through insurance? Sounds like you're young, and I understand that a claim so early on is going to do you over for quite some time, probably more in the long run than it would be if you just paid them like £1k directly, despite how sick that'll no doubt make you feel.

Clio 220 Trophy
How much are they claiming for? Is there no way you can just pay them directly without going through insurance? Sounds like you're young, and I understand that a claim so early on is going to do you over for quite some time, probably more in the long run than it would be if you just paid them like £1k directly, despite how sick that'll no doubt make you feel.

No way in this world do this, you will open up yourself to however much they want.

Don,t give up mate, fight it all the way

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
I'm 20, wouldn't be driving a 1.2 if I could afford to insure a 172 Ph1 lol. Yeah, they didn't say how much for. They wanted me to accept that it's my fault. Once I worked out what was going on, I said I'm not accepting anything until I seek out some adivce, then they said they were referring my case to a 3rd party. I'd thought I'd try here first aha. I know a woman who's husband owns a personal injury company - so I might see if they can give me some advice tomorrow, but I haven't spoke to them in about 6 months so I don't know how thats going to go.

Clio 220 Trophy
I'm 20, wouldn't be driving a 1.2 if I could afford to insure a 172 Ph1 lol. Yeah, they didn't say how much for. They wanted me to accept that it's my fault. Once I worked out what was going on, I said I'm not accepting anything until I seek out some adivce, then they said they were referring my case to a 3rd party. I'd thought I'd try here first aha. I know a woman who's husband owns a personal injury company - so I might see if they can give me some advice tomorrow, but I haven't spoke to them in about 6 months so I don't know how thats going to go.

Who wants you to accept liability ? Your insurance or the other cars occupants ?

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
my car insurance company by the sounds of it. The woman was basically shouting down the phone to me.

Clio 220 Trophy
Then in that case I would defo ring them back, explain what happened again, tell them there was no damage and you have photo evidence , also tell them that you pay them to run your insurance and they should be looking after your interests, not the 3rd parties

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Got their address? 3am - go round and yank off their bumper.

Take the evidence with you! lol

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Boils my piss this does!

Surely if pictures can be provided that there was no damage whatsoever, then insurers should be able to use a bit of common sense and say "woah hold on, how can this chancer be injured if there isn't a mark on the car"

Clio Mk2 PH1 1.2
I'm with 'ecar' I don't want to upload the photo of their car, in the rare case it gets seen by some benson and I get bent over..again!