ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a bit of a 'moment' at Castle Combe on Thursday.....

2003 Cup 172
I tend to be pretty impulsive about things when I get an idea in my head, so last July I had a thought while I was at work and figured I'd like to have a pop at motor racing. So that afternoon I went onto the MSA website and ordered my 'Go Racing' pack. Then a few weeks later I took my ARDS test at Thruxton and got my racing licence, happy days!

I then went through a couple months of figuring out what I actually wanted to race. Had a visit to a number of race days, looked at quite a few different types of racing (weighing up my budget and other factors) and eventually decided on Formula Ford 1600 championship at Castle Combe (not to be confused with the British Formula Ford championship, where a yearly budget of over £100k is needed).

So anyways, I found a very reputable team with excellent history and after about 6 months of waiting and anticipation, I eventually came around to my first test day, which was last Thursday at Combe.

This is my car in the front of the picture (with the front cover off), it's a Swift SC92:

IMG_0498-2.jpg

My first session of the day came around and I eventually got my chance to give the car a whirl and see what it's all like (at this point I had never driven the car before, or any FF1600 for that matter, and had never been around Castle Combe before). It was awesome. It took me a couple laps before I thought I'd start pushing a little bit, and after the first session (15 mins) I put in a few laps at in the 1:18's. Which apparently was amazing for my first ever time (the folks who are top of the championship lap in the 1:11's).

In my second session I put in a couple of 1:17.5's, so I was pleased with that, especially as the tyres I had on were very worn and had been on the car for the entire winter period. The third session came to an abrupt halt when my engine conked out half way around my first hot lap (the floats in the carbs broke and flooded them with fuel) - so I got towed back and the team fixed the problem and then I had to wait till after lunch till my next session.

Had a little moment on a downshift at Tower (one of the corners) and the engine momentarily conked out again and then came back to life when I lifted the clutch (it literally happened in a fraction of a second), causing the car to be totally out of balance and me to spin and hit the barrier. Luckily I managed to kind of control it a bit and the only damage was a couple tiny cracks in the nose, which was taped up back in the pits.

After a chat with the team boss and looking at all the data (from the data loggers), I knew where I was losing time, so that was my mission.

The next session came around and I was pumped, I knew what I needed to do, was getting a bit more comfortable with the car (after adjusting the brake bias a bit more towards the front), was feeling like I could end the day getting well into the 1:15's (which interestingly would place me near the middle of the grid on a typical qualifying session of the FF1600 c'ship).

A few laps in and my confidence in the car was growing even more. I put in 3 laps in the 1:17's, then tried something I hadn't done before and managed a 1:16.5, which I was chuffed with. Then about 15 seconds later I came across a little problem......

I had gone over Avon rise (not sure on speed, I've been told that it would've been around 100mph but I think it was probably between 80 and 100 as I hadn't yet grown the confidence to not lift off until after the rise) - when on heavy braking into the corner I THINK (as i'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the only explanation) my right foot clipped the throttle, then when I downshifted into third the revs spiked suddenly and then when I engaged the gear the car was no longer slowing down. This caused me to get a bit sideways and then I hit the barrier.... HARD. Still don't know what kind of speed I was going, but I think at this point it was probably somewhere between 60 and 80, although my team boss reckons it was faster. I managed to hit the rear left first, then it pivoted and hit the front left and then the nose. Made a right mess of the barrier.

This is the damage......

On the crane in our garage area...

IMG_0500-2.jpg

IMG_0501-2.jpg

Close up - cover came off in the crash

IMG_0502-2.jpg

IMG_0503-2.jpg

My mechanics taking the broken bits off....

IMG_0504-2.jpg

IMG_0505-2.jpg

Broken bits off...

IMG_0506-2.jpg

The expensive bits (chassis, gearbox, uprights etc.) appear to be all in one piece, so it should be an easy enough (and not too expensive) fix, hopefully - I haven't received the full costs yet...

The car is currently being repaired and I'll be back at Combe next Thursday (5th April), ahead of my first race on the 9th April (Monday).

First thing I'm going to be doing on Thursday morning before I get onto the track..... adjusting the brake pedal and bringing it forward a little ;)

The positives I can take from this are that I know i'm quick and I have the ability to shave at least another 4 seconds of my lap over a bit of time and much more practice, I just need more time on the track. I know I'm not afraid to give it some around the track and find the limits (I did get a bit sideways a couple of times). The team boss is thrilled that he hasn't got a sh*t driver, irrespective of the crash, he knows that I have the ability and that I'm going to be quick with more practice and getting more familiar with the car. And finally, the last positive I can take away was that technically it wasn't a driver error on my part that caused the crash, but was caused by my inexperience in setting the car up properly to suit me so that things like this don't happen. After I adjust the brake pedal, this exact type of this accident won't ever happen again. So my next accident probably will be driver error (although I may try and blame something else so I don't lose confidence) :p

Oh, I should probably point out that I'm fine - got bumps and bruises on my left leg and knee, bit of a sore left shoulder, and my right hand hurts a bit (thought I may have fractured a small bone, but think it's just a tendon that got a bit of a whack). I play ice hockey and my injuries though that have been much worse, so it's all good.

Roll on Thursday!! (praying it's going to be a dry day).

172 Race Car
Great read mate, glad its not put you off. Single seaters are so different to road based cars. Good luck next week and let us know how it goes

Arctic Blue FF 182
Shame about the off! You may get to know a good friend of mine Nathan Ward who races in the championship.
(In fact the range rover in the background in your pictures is his dads as they were down on Thursday too)

2003 Cup 172
Cheers. I did consider starting some sort of a blog last year right from the beginning before doing my ARDS explaining exactly what's involved, how I did things, then how i went about choosing what to race, what I could afford, then going on about my development moving forward from my first test day and onto my first season. When I was originally thinking about starting racing it was exactly that sort of thing that I wanted to read, something that explained all the stupid questions and just following someone through each step.

i may still do the blog thing, I've only done one test day, so there's not too much beforehand to catch up on.

As far as budget goes, it varies. I'm not too mechanically minded (I understand how everything works, I just don't know how to actually do stuff myself) - so I've chosen to go down the 'arrive & drive' setup. So essentially, I turn up, test / race, bugger off home and then turn up again at the next meeting, the team take care of all maintenance, repairs, car transportation etc. I'm basically renting the car and the team for the season. All in all (including club membership, testing fees, entry fees for the races, fuel, rental of the car, tyres, etc etc.) it's around the region of around £15k per season. Can go up, can go down, depends on the team at and their running costs (generally the more cars that a team bring to an event the cheaper it is for the drivers, as central costs like transportation and mechanics are shared). This cost does NOT include damages. If the car gets damaged (irrespective on how - some muppet could just drive into you at 100mph), you are the one that has to pay for it. So it's worth having a good £5k in your back pocket ready to shell out in case of this - some teams request this kind of money as a deposit, but that may be just if you look shifty and like the kind that may not pay.

Everything in motorsport is about money, the bigger budget you have, the more options you have. You can go racing for as little as £6k - £8k for the season, but that may mean that you do a lot (if not all) of the maintenance work yourself.

2003 Cup 172
Shame about the off! You may get to know a good friend of mine Nathan Ward who races in the championship.
(In fact the range rover in the background in your pictures is his dads as they were down on Thursday too)

Nathan is one of my team mates (we're all driving for Kevin Mills Racing) - in the first picture, his car is the one on the far left (next to the blue van). Didn't get a chance to speak to him much on Thursday, but i'll get to know all of them better throughout the season.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Nathan is one of my team mates (we're all driving for Kevin Mills Racing) - in the first picture, his car is the one on the far left (next to the blue van). Didn't get a chance to speak to him much on Thursday, but i'll get to know all of them better throughout the season.

O cool! I might meet you then this year as I used to get down to some of his races to support. Haven't managed to in a while though.

RIP Dan
Good read that, if you don't end up in the gravel you are not trying hard enough:approve:

Look forward to seeing how you get on, good luck!!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Smashing it up on the first day in the car would suggest an expensive season ahead for you. Lol like a Lewis Hamilton of the formula ford world ; ).

2003 Cup 172
Smashing it up on the first day in the car would suggest an expensive season ahead for you. Lol like a Lewis Hamilton of the formula ford world ; ).

Well the way I see it is that I made that mistake because I had the car set up slightly wrong, so when that's fixed it won't happen again. Until that point I was pretty solid on the track and didn't really make any big mistakes. Pretty confident about the next test day (famous last words). I'm fairly concerned about my first race on the 9th though, gonna be filling my pants I reckon, absolutely anything could happen so could be costly. And when I checked the weather the other day, it looks like it could be raining with the possibility of snow!! Ugh, brilliant.

2003 Cup 172
Second test day tomorrow (Thursday), and my video camera FINALLY arrived so i'll be able to hopefully get some decent footage (hopefully of me NOT crashing) :approve:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Will hopefully be there for the afternoon on monday so will keep an eye out for you!

182 Cup
Hope you do well tomorrow mate, I'll be there Monday too if the weather holds up. I'd love to get into track racing rather than hillclimbs, I'm gonna have to take a look at the castle Combe saloon championship me thinks.

182 ff
fair play to you expensive hobby but id love to do myself if i had the money, standard go karting for me !! as for your times very impressed good luck with the season ! and like others have said keep us updated

182cup & 172 racecar
Single seaters and barriers don't mix.Keep chipping away at those times, but don't go for a massive drop all in one go, it will hurt.

2003 Cup 172
Re: Had a bit of a 'moment' at Castle Combe on Thursday..... (video added)

Quick update.

Had my testing on Thursday, managed to stay on the track all day, which was nice. Unfortunately for the whole morning session I only managed to get out a couple times, on the whole the car felt terrible,and coupled with a slightly damp track made it pretty uncomfortable for a while. There were major handling issues, spongy brakes, engine misfiring and huge flatspots at about 5500 rpm, which (after changing the coil packs 3 times and various other electrical components) was eventually traced back to a dodgy spring.

Eventually I had the suspension set up all over again, new brake pads and tyres, had the brake lines bled, and had the misfiring and flatspots corrected with a new spring. So I finally felt fairly comfortable, but by this point is was well in tot he afternoon session.

I was slowly getting quicker and quicker throughout the afternoon, but still didn't manage to get down to the times I was posting last week. The team boss reckons that I'm just holding back ever so slightly because of the crash last week, lifting off and braking a bit early, braking a little too hard etc. Plus I think that last week I kind of had that no fear type of thing going on, so I was really throwing the car around without a care in the world.

I ended the day only half a second slower than last week, and I know exactly where i'm losing loads of time. Was a bit annoying as I knew my driving was actually better (much better lines etc.), but like I said, I think i'm holding back a bit at the mo. That'll soon change with more time on track and with a bit more practice.

I managed to get my on board camera working as well. Here is a video of the session where I finally felt a little comfortable in the car with new tyres, brake pads etc so i'm going very cautious on the first few laps until they're bedded in a bit. There's a few dodgy gear changes, but for those of you that have never been in a Swift SC92, there is VERY little room and it's so easy to miss a gear. Before anyone comments with my poor lines etc., my other sessions later in the day had much better lines and better speed, but the battery in my camera died so couldn't record them, typical!

This video is 15 mins long (half way decent stuff is about 6 or 7 mins into the video). Oh, and me tapping my helmet means that my lap timer wasn't working and I needed the pit board held out for me.

[video=youtube_share;e3ABJRNgzN0]http://youtu.be/e3ABJRNgzN0[/video]

172 Race Car
Will watch the video later mate. Ive been in the same situation, you feel your driving better but the times arent there. Keep at it, it will come. Its only your second time in the car and single seaters are so much different to tintops

Turbos.
You can only expect so much from your first outings! Congratulations for getting your license and going for it though, respect.

It is a big learning curve. Personally i would find a seasoned racer to drive and set up your car. You are not going fast enough to set up the car properly (presuming the team don't already know the perfect set up - but based on what experience/knowledge/driver ability?). A pro is remarkably cheap to use as supply far exceeds demand; having them watch your video would be of benefit.

Are you allowed datalogging?

2003 Cup 172
Yeah we all have data loggers, although on Thursday mine was playing up and it wasn't giving me any info and the downloads after the sessions weren't working. The PI data loggers we use are VERY temperamental, but replacing all of them in the team (to allow comparisons between all of the drivers) would cost around £900 per car, and there's 5 of us. My data logger was working last week though, so I could see exactly where I was losing time on the other guys, I just need to build up the confidence to brake a little later and carry a bit more speed into the corners.

It'll come - just need more time in the car. I'm fairly happy with things so far, just have to see how the race goes on Monday, probably in the rain :dapprove:

2003 Cup 172
Well done on joining the racing world! £15k for a debut season though.. ouch. Could do four/five years of tintops for that ;)

People can definitely do things cheaper than what i'm paying to go racing, I never suggested it was the cheapest form of motorsport. But the main point is that I didn't want to 'just' go racing, I wanted to go single seater racing. I did think long and hard about going into the ford fiesta championship (I fancied a bit of 'rubbing' when racing), but I just thought that racing in 'normal' cars (albeit race spec) seemed a bit too normal for me, I wanted something very different to the norm.

You could go single seater racing for around £6k per year, but you'd need the initial outlay of buying the car and forking out the cost of getting it up to race spec, you'd need to maintain the car yourself (which I can't do - i'm not a mechanic and don't know enough to do everything myself, plus I don't have the tools, which would cost a lot), you'd need to transport the car to and from the tracks and store it when at home (which I can't do - I haven't got the space, or a trailer), you'd ideally need a garage big enough to work in at home (which I don't have), and finally you'd need a whole load of spare time (which again, I don't have).

What I get for the money is a full season (10 races) in the castle combe FF1600 championship, in a car that has won the championship numerous times (and last won a race in 2010, so I know it's competitive - it didn't race in 2011), with a team full of immense knowledge (there are 4 other drivers that have all won many races and some championships and the team boss is an ex-champion, that actually won the championship in the same car that i'm racing in), my own mechanic, free labour if I damage the car and it needs fixing (I only pay for parts), storage of the car, transportation of the car to the track, track prepping the car, driver training (via data logs and the on-board cameras), use of the car and the team for two full test days and also a half-day test day prior to every single round, and finally I get the guidance and support that a totally novice driver needs when entering something totally new to them such as something like single seater racing. Also, don't forget that just the entry fees for the championship is about £2k in total, so I don't think that what I get for my money is bad value at all. Plus if the car has mechanical faults that aren't linked to some terrible driving (i.e. over-revving the engine), then I don't pay for the repairs, it's all part of the cost.

Oh, I should also mention that i'm running the bulk of my costs through my business for advertising and sponsorship, so you could take 20% off the £15k for VAT that I'll be claiming back. ;)

I find it hard to believe you could go from having nothing to being in a position to do any form of motorsport for £3k / £4k per year and actually be competitive in a full championship. But either way, I don't have the option of keeping my costs that low as I don't have the means to do most of the work myself.

182cup & 172 racecar
I think it's spot on Steve. Although I don't mind messing around with cars, it was great in Hungary, just turn up, get in car, and drive.Good on you.
Single seaters are a different world, doing 70mph feels like 120.

172 Race Car
I just thought that racing in 'normal' cars (albeit race spec) seemed a bit too normal for me, I wanted something very different to the norm.
I know what you mean. As I said earlier single seaters are another world. (I have driven one)

Arrive and driving looks expensive to the outsider but its a great way to do it for the reasons you explained

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Seems quite good value actually when you break it down like that.

Hopefully you can keep us updated with how the season progresses :)

All sounds great Steve and the video's look good fun! Sounds like you have jumped in the car and done really well from the start. Hope the bump wasn't too expensive :)

Sounds like the arrive and drive package is well planned and should be a great way into it for you! Best of luck and I will look forward to seeing how you get on :D

Oh, I should also mention that i'm running the bulk of my costs through my business for advertising and sponsorship, so you could take 20% off the £15k for VAT that I'll be claiming back. ;)

Have you tried putting this past the HMRC yet mate ;)? Please let me know if you manage it as I stood no chance :) There are a few ways to get round it but none were suitable for my scenario! You might be more luck due to the team running the car for you though.

04 Monaco Blue 172
how did you get on in the race if it was yesterday?

looks awesome, id love to race one day but id probably go for a clio cup lol

2003 Cup 172
So I decided to write a proper blog on this which i'll be publishing properly and continually updating on wordpress or something in the near future, but here is the update from my first race day. It's a bit of a lengthy read so apologies, but I spent enough time writing it let alone cutting it down for here, so just bear with it if you want to read thought it.

I didn't use my video camera as it was raining heavily and i didn't want to damage it, although it does say it's waterproof, i don't know if that meant a slight splash, or continual drenching, I didn't want to risk it.

Sunday 8[SUP]th[/SUP] April 2012 – Day before my first race

Kind of mixed emotions today, ranging from apprehension to nervousness, to excitement, and then to basically shi*ting myself. It’s all about the unknown. Let’s go through what I don’t know. The following is a list of my apprehensions / fears / concerns:

• I don’t know what the car will handle like in the rain
  • I don’t know what racing line to take in the rain
  • I don’t know if I’ll be able to even see due to the spray from the rain
  • I don’t know if my visor will fog up beyond belief (even with anti fog, I’m not sure)
  • I don’t know what the other drivers are like
  • I’ve never tried doing a proper racing start yet (which will be difficult in the rain not to wheelspin all over the place)
  • I’m concerned that in my eagerness I’ll forget to change up gears at the start of the race (as I’ve been told it’s so loud with the other cars I may not even hear my own engine)
That gives you a glimpse of my thoughts at this moment in time. I’m confident I’ll muddle through, but until I get around the first few laps during the race, I’ll be somewhat uneasy.

Anyway, time to get ready so I don’t have to be rushing in the morning…..

Monday 9[SUP]th[/SUP] April – 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Race Day!!!! – Historica Racing Festival

My alarm goes off at 6:30am, I’m tired. I would’ve ideally liked to get to bed nice and early on the night before my first ever race, but with all the thoughts and concerns going through my head I was VERY fidgety and restless, so I ended up heading to bed later than I wanted.

I look out the window in the hopes that all the weather forecasts are wrong and it’s bone dry with clear blue skies….. the weather forecasts were right, tits, it’s raining and looks very gloomy.

My girlfriend has decided to come with me today for some additional support and to see me in my first race, or maybe she thinks that all of this is just some overly elaborate scheme to see another woman and wants proof that this “racing” I speak of is actually true, but I like to think that it’s mainly for the support.

It’s 7am and we set off with a quick 45 mile drive to Castle Combe (which is one of the reasons I picked that championship, and the team, the track is just so nearby) – my racing debut is literally getting closer by the second!

So I arrive at the track at about 7:45 – it feels early but there’s already so much activity going on. People were camping out from the night before, teams are already in place and set up, lots of people mulling around, I’m pretty excited by this point.

I see the our team truck so I pull up behind it, people seem to just dump their cars wherever, as long as it’s near to their team. Looking around the truck I can see that the awning is fully out and there are the 5 cars of the team sitting there, all clean and ready to go. I can also see that my car now has some stickers, so it doesn’t look so bland, hurrah!!! I know the thought of putting stickers on a car to make it look better almost seems kind of childish, like I want to give myself a nice sticky gold star to prove I’m mummy’s little star ( I don’t need a star anyway, I KNOW I’m mummy’s little star!!), but this is different. The stickers are of the team name (Kevin Mills Racing), a couple team sponsors (I think) and my number, 44. It looks a lot better! I do have a couple more stickers to put on, but I’ll put them on next time out. The result is below:

Swift-9Apr12.jpg

Once I had taken a few minutes to say hi to the team, I promptly went ahead for a new drivers briefing at 08:15. This is a briefing that is given to people that haven’t raced at the circuit before. Even though I had tested here, I still had to attend as it’s all about having raced at Combe or not. It’s basically a quick briefing that pretty much just goes over some basics, how to enter and exit the track when qualifying and for the race, what the procedures are, safety car procedures etc. It also gives the drivers a chance to ask some questions if they have any. I didn’t particularly learn anything new at this briefing, I had pretty much already asked my team the bulk of any questions I had.

So new driver briefing done, it’s time to go over and get signed on. This is just where you turn up, with your race license, and tell the track that you are there and ready to rock and roll!! You sign the sheet, they give you a programme and a little ticket to give to the scrutineering team, and in this particular occasion, a Cadbury’s Creme egg (which in my case is breakfast, result!!).

I then make my way over to scrutineering. I’ve been told by Kev that my car had already been through scrutineering the night before, teams do this to save time, you should see the length of the queue at this time, must be about 20 cars waiting to be checked over. What they are now looking for, given that my car is already ok, is that my race kit is up to spec and conforms to all the normal British standards, and that my crash helmet isn’t just made from egg cups and an upside down cooking pot. My kit is all fine, I get a sticker on my helmet saying that’s it’s is fine for motorsport for this season, as well as a sticker that goes on my car saying that it, as well as the driver, has passed scrutiny and is good to race.

By this time it’s now around 09:30 and I’m good to go – the formalities were a bit annoying as they take time, but it’s all a part of motor racing and there’s no way around it. My qualifying session is due at 10:20 so I’m now less than an hour away.

The rain has let up a little bit, but it’s still constant. There are also fears of oil on the track. The cars out on track before us are of the 1960’s, and if you look at the roads along the paddock you can see streams of oil left behind from them as they’ve been driving around, this is not a good sign for things to come.

I decide it’s now time to get my kit on, everything seems a little bit more real when you’re all dressed and ready to go. As it’s wet and gloomy out, I, along with most people, have opted not to use the tinted visors on our helmets. I put my clear visor on, but not before treating it to a good helping of anti-fog on the inside, I’ve been told that in the rain things can get pretty steamy in the helmet, and I’ll have enough to think about without being blinded by my own breath (would that be classed as self-harming if I crashed due to my own breath and hurt myself? Hmmm).

I’m starting to get a little nervous again at this point. Even though I wouldn’t be technically racing during the qualifying, it’s the whole unknown of what a wet track is like that’s making me uneasy. I’m reassured (I think) by Kev to just expect the track to feel horrible. The car will understeer, the back will step out under power, you’ll find vision difficult, the oil from the old cars in the session before will make the road mega slippy, it’s all very reassuring stuff!! I guess ultimately if I can imagine the worst possible situation, then there won’t be any nasty surprises.

It’s now about 09:50 (qualifying is at 10:20) and my mechanics push my car over to the pits area, getting in the queue to enter the track for qualifying. I walk over with my girlfriend to where the car is. Top tip from Kev, make sure you have your head covered when walking through the rain ahead of putting your helmet on – turns out that if your hair gets wet and you then put your helmet on, this wet hair will cause loads more mist on the inside of your visor. I get to the car and finally see the rest of the other cars, there seems to be loads of them – turns out there’s 21 (which is actually a small grid, they used to get 36!!!). I put on my balaclava, HANS device and helmet. For some reason I seem to be putting my gloves on when I’m already in the car, I’m not sure why I do this, just seems to be something that I do – maybe that’s my ‘thing’ for good luck? Who knows?!? I get myself strapped in by my mechanics and patiently wait for the signal that things will be happening soon.

The rain is still coming down so as I’m sitting there in the car, with a big umbrella covering me (being held by my mechanic), Kev comes over to all his drivers with a bit of a final warning. Apparently there is oil all over the track as a result of those older cars in the previous session. I instinctively ask him where on the track the oil is so that I can take extra care in that section, his reply is “everywhere”. Well that’s just brilliant! I’m now sat here, at my first race day, in a car that I managed to crash in the DRY (although not through a driver error, it was a setup issue – I’ll maintain this for the rest of my life), with only about 2.5 hours of useful testing under my belt, in the rain (having never driven in the rain), about to go on a track also full of oil so will be incredibly slippery, could things get any worse?!? The answer is yes, I accidentally farted, it did not smell good, but o the plus side it did momentarily take my mind off of what was coming up.

• Qualifying
Once the air had cleared it was time, we were waved on by the marshals to go ahead and enter the track and get the session under way. It was time. Time to see what this car was like in the wet and the oil, in the hands of a very inexperienced driver. Interestingly at this point I wasn’t thinking about nerves or anything, I was just focused about my driving and what I needed to do (which was just finish the session in one piece, getting a decent time was second on my list of priorities at this point).

I enter the track and gain speed going up through the gears, I can already feel that this is totally different to what I had experienced before. Forgetting about the rain hitting my visor, the feel of the car was strange – it still felt pretty good, but I was very aware that the handling had changed for wet weather and it just felt different, I can’t really explain how, I’m not experienced enough to know yet.

Going in a straight line wasn’t too different to the dry, but the corners were something else. Slowing the car down wasn’t too much of an issue (although this may be because I was being cautious and braking early), but the turn in was tricky, it was gradual and controlled, it had to be or there would just be understeer. Applying the power was difficult, if I was in a straight line I could feel wheelspin, but any amount of turn on the wheels with this power applied was met with the back end sliding out into a slow-motion spin. The track was like a skid pan. I suddenly knew (after the first corner) that this was going to be a very interesting session.

I ploughed on, continually checking my mirrors and letting anyone quicker than me pass, easily. I had enough to think about just keeping the car on the track then having the experienced drivers crawl over my backside, plus they were competitive so I didn’t want to ruin their qualifying laps.

Slowly I was getting to grips with the conditions, my lap timer wasn’t working again so I relied on my mechanics holding out the pit board. It was reassuring to see my lap times drop each lap and that there were people there that I was overtaking – it was clear I wasn’t the slowest, result!!!

I had a couple moments where I thought I may have lost it, generally by turning in slightly too late into a corner which meant that I was carrying too much speed into the wrong line, and seeing as the track was very unpredictable (well, predictable in that you know it’s going to be unpredictable, which doesn’t exactly help much) it’s difficult to just brake harder or recover easily. The reason I made these mistakes were normally caused by looking in the mirrors as slightly the wrong times and juuuust missing my braking point. Luckily though, I managed to not spin, and not be forced to take the escape road by the chicanes, so that was good. Of course, it may have been because I wasn’t pushing hard enough, but I was very aware that I didn’t want to crash in qualifying and not even take part in my first race, so I was happy not to push too hard. I know my limits, which is very important when starting out with motor racing. With more experience my limits will increase, and so will my knowledge of the limits of the car.

As the session went on I was getting more confident so I could push things a little more, even though the track hadn’t got any better, I just felt like I was getting to grips with how to put the power down and how to control the car better. Obviously I can’t compare myself with the top half of the field, my only racing experience in the wet was the previous 10 minutes. I started putting in a couple laps that I felt pretty happy with.

I saw the chequered flag and knew that I had survived my first qualifying session, a huge sense of relief came over me that I was now officially ‘in’ the race (unless I did something incredibly stupid on my way back to the pits). I qualified 16[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 21 drivers, which I didn’t think was too bad considering the conditions and never driving in the rain (and oil) before. My time was 1:40.974, which was 12 seconds off of pole position. This sounds like a lot (because it is), but considering I was about 6 seconds off of pole position pace when I was practicing in the dry, I think 12 seconds off in the wet and oil was probably about right. I think that had I had a few more laps then I would’ve knocked off a few more seconds, as at the moment every lap I have in the car (whether it be in the wet or dry) I am learning something new, and getting quicker.

As I get off the track I can see that a select few cars were being pulled to one side, with me being one of them. There were about 5 of us queuing up to be weighed, it was just part of scrutineering to make sure that we weren’t under weight. Did my blistering speed lead them to think that I was lighter than I should’ve been?!? No, it’s just random. The good thing about this particular scrutineering was that he spotted that the pin in my fire extinguisher was still in!! This would’ve been a bad situation to be in had I had an accident and needed my extinguisher! Anyway, with me and the car together, we weighed 520kgs. The combined limit is 500kgs (the car needs to be a minimum of 420kgs) – which means that I can lose a fair bit of weight and still be ok - I may try and lose a bit of weight before the next race, every little helps.

Once I got back into the garage I was told I qualified 16[SUP]th[/SUP] and greeted with a handshake from Kev saying well done. I asked Kev how those conditions compared with other bad weather days, and he said that the conditions at the moment are the worst it would ever get. I then felt pretty satisfied with myself.

After I got out of my kit and gave my helmet a bit of a clean, I spent the next couple of hours hanging around the paddock, watching a bit of racing, more hanging around, little bit of eating, more hanging around…. This is the problem with race days, there’s a lot of waiting around, which wouldn’t be too much of a problem if the weather was nice, but with the weather being so poor it just made for a cold, wet and windy wait.

I spent a bit of time asking the other drivers in the team what kinds of things to expect during the race. The strange thing is that I already know what to expect (it’s pretty common knowledge), but just having someone re-confirm it all makes it all a bit more reassuring.

Interestingly, my nerves at this point are completely under control. So many of my concerns about a wet race had been answered during qualifying and I knew that as long as I stayed out of trouble on the track with the other cars, I could get through it just fine. I think the other thing that’s helping my nerves is that everyone is having difficulties on the track, which, perhaps in my ignorance, maybe meant that nobody would try anything too wreckless. I don’t know if this is true or not, but whatever works for me to keep me nerves under control can only be a good thing.

Kev comes along with another top tip – starting a race in the wet. Normally in the dry you’d hold the revs around 5500 rpm (so I’m told) when the lights go off, but in the wet if you did that you’d go nowhere. So Kev’s tip was to literally drive away from the start line just like a normal car, no revs, just drive away in a controlled manner.

• Race time
The race prior to the FF1600 (with the 1960’s cars) is 45 minutes long, so that’s 45 minutes of spewing oil and general nastiness all over the track, awesome. Once the race begins I make my way back to the trailer to get all my kit on, realising that my first race is now getting very very close. I do all my final prep, make sure my visor is clean and spray more anti-fog on the inside, I think I’m all ready. I also make sure the pin is now removed from my fire extinguisher. Kev gives me another top tip – after the formation lap and I’m around the final corner heading towards the grid, drop down into 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear and slowly drive to the grid and keep the car in gear, just have the clutch down and DO NOT TAKE IT OUT OF GEAR. The reason for this being is that he’s seen on countless times that people think they’re in gear when they’re actually not (these cars are a bit tricky sometimes to put into 1[SUP]st[/SUP]), the result then being a poor start and lots of fumbling trying to find the gear while everyone is driving past you. Cheers Kev, I shall stay in gear!

As per qualifying, my car gets pushed over to the waiting area while I walk over under my umbrella (keeping my hair dry to minimise on the fog inside my helmet). I can soon see all the cars lined up, I’m getting pretty excited now!!

Once I’ve got my helmet on and I’m in the car all strapped in, Kev comes over again and wishes me luck, as do a number of other people. Strangely I don’t really feel any nerves at all, I kind of just want to get going. Like a lot of things, the anticipation is the killer, but now that it’s here, it’s not too bad at all.

The signal is given and the first half of cars make their way to line up on the grid, I turn my engine on and soon follow the crowd and make my way over as well. We are clearly shown exactly which spot on the grid to line up on, with me being 16[SUP]th[/SUP], I’m on the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] row, and on the left. The view when I get there is something I hadn’t experienced before, just a sea of cars in front of me, makes me wonder how on earth people can make up so many places on the start line sometimes, there’s just no space!

My mechanic comes over just to make sure everything’s ok and then heads off the grid and get behind the pit wall when we see the 1 minute sign put up.

The green flag is soon waved to signal the start of the formation lap, I see everyone start to move. I go to move and guess what, I wasn’t in gear!! Kev was right!!! I thought I was in gear but it turns out I wasn’t. I quickly chuck it into 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and I head off – had this been the real start then I would’ve lost a lot of time. I’ll definitely be staying in gear when I line up for the real start!

The formation lap was interesting, everyone just feeling the track again, to see what it’s like, trying to get a bit of heat into the tyres and the brakes, although I really question how possible this is in these particular conditions on what is a pretty slow formation lap. We get around the circuit, coming up to camp (the final corner), and I plonk it into 1[SUP]st[/SUP] gear, making 110% sure it’s in, I drive slowly to my grid slot, and then wait there, this is it!!

I’m VERY excited at this point! No nerves at all, just pure excitement and concentration (I originally thought I’d be absolutely petrified when sat on the grid, but I was wrong, I was fine – like I said before, I think the fact that people are going to be fairly careful due to the poor conditions made it easier to digest). I then see the red lights turn on one by one, this is it!! This is exactly what I’ve been waiting for for the past 9 months, my first race!!! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 red lights come on….. we’re held for about 3 seconds and then boom! The lights go out and we’re GO GO GO!!! (said in full Murray Walker style - legend).

My start was pretty good, didn’t lose any places, I did exactly what Kev said, just drive away in a controlled fashion, slowly building up speed. It’s going pretty well so far, then I quickly see something that can pretty much only be believed when it’s experienced first hand…. the wall of spray. When I say it’s a wall, that’s exactly what I mean. There are 15 cars in front of me throwing up all the water from the track, and it’s literally like driving into a cloud directly in front of me. I can’t see the sides of the track, I can barely see the red lights on the cars in front (I know they’re there and only about 15 ft ahead of me, but I can’t actually see them to confirm), it’s a very disconcerting feeling. I take it all in my stride, I turn at the first corner (normally taken flat out) at the point where I think the corner is (as I can’t actually see it) and then make my way up to Avon Rise. As I still can’t see a thing and I know we’re coming up to a treacherous point of the circuit (especially on the first lap, and even more so in the wet), so I ease off a bit – I decided at the beginning that I want to complete the race in one piece, I didn’t want my first race only to last about 10 seconds – after easing off a couple cars pass me, and then the spray dies down and I can see Quarry (the first main corner), as I approach I can see that someone has spun right where I was heading towards, and then someone hits them, still right in front of me. I slow down quite a lot, and have to take to the grass to avoid them, and again losing another couple places. This can all be seen in the following video – it’s a video taken by a spectator while at Quarry. You can see the accident and then me driving on the grass on the inside of the corner trying to avoid things and stay out of trouble. The car that spins at the end of this video isn’t me, it’s someone else in a similar white car. I’m car no. 44.

Once I got back on track I knew that the hardest bit was over, and I just cracked on with things. Everyone was spreading out and it was now just a case of racing my own race and seeing what happens. At this point I wasn’t massively fussed about busting my gut trying to chase people down and pass them, my goal was still to keep it on the track going and to finish the race for the all important signature on my licence (required for when I want to upgrade, and to get rid of the black and yellow cross on the back of my car – this is removed after completing 6 races).

The race went on, I witness a couple spins right in front of me, saw a car or two go down the escape roads along the chicanes, the conditions weren’t getting any better.

I did manage to pass a few cars, which I was quite pleased with – it was just so difficult to get the power down and to trust that the car was going to slow down, the tarmac still felt awful – to the point where it’s incredibly frustrating, just wanting to go a bit quicker but physically not being able to.

Once again my lap timer wasn’t working so my mechanics were putting the pit board out – I could see my lap times dropping lap by lap, which was encouraging.

About 4 or 5 laps in and the safety car signs are out – I started to wonder if there had been a big accident. Was it wrong that I secretly hoped that it was all the faster Class B cars, so that I would work my way up the Class B field by default? Hmmmm. A few laps went around and I still wasn’t sure why the safety car was out – it actually took a couple laps to catch up with the rest of the field!! I didn’t realise how far back I’d dropped! I could see a car stopped by the side of the track with no apparent damage, but was very close to the track, so I assumed this was the reason for the safety car.

After a few more laps the safety car went in, I didn’t get a good run – problem was the field was so long I couldn’t actually see that the safety car was going in and couldn’t see its lights, so the car in front was a fair distance away by this point.

It didn’t take me long to catch up with the car in front, still keeping an eye on the cars behind me, but I knew I was faster than them so after a little bit I was far enough in front not to worry about them and to just concentrate on the in front.

We were about 7 laps into the race (of 12 laps) by now and I was right on the arse of the car in front, a white Swift SC93. I did my best to try and get by but it was so difficult. I knew I was quicker than him as I could feel myself having to brake a bit earlier than I would normally, but in those conditions it was next to impossible to dart up the inside of a corner and beat him to the apex, I just couldn’t trust the track not to throw me off. My best bet was through camp – a corner where you brake a little, but can get on the power quite early to drive out down along the start/finish straight. I knew I was quicker. Lap after lap, I was getting a better line and getting closer to him coming out of the corner, but lap after lap, I could quite get juuuust enough more speed to beat him off the corner. The closest I got was level with his rear wheels going along the straight, but I couldn’t quite get that little bit extra. I’m pretty certain I would’ve been able to do it had I pushed myself a bit further, but being my first race, and my first experience in the wet, I just wanted to make it around.

I lost track of the laps a bit as I was just focused on that car in front, then sure enough I came around camp and saw the chequered flag waving. I had finished my first race, in the worst possible conditions.

Driving around on that final lap into the pits I had some mixed emotions. I was thrilled that I managed to get through that race and not crash the car, and to still have a couple little battles as well as overtake people, but I was also disappointed that I couldn’t get in front of that other Swift.

After driving back to the garage I park up and get out of the car, satisfied that I had got over two big milestones, my first race and my first wet race. Kev came over to shake my hand and congratulate me on a job well done. I find out at that point that I came 15[SUP]th[/SUP], which wasn’t too bad considering that I started 16[SUP]th[/SUP]. I knew that had I not eased off at that first corner then I would’ve been a few places higher, but then I may have been involved in that accident if I hadn’t eased off, so it’s hard to speculate as to what would’ve been, you just don’t know.

My girlfriend eventually gets back to the garage and tells me that she was very nervous watching me, praying that I made it around each lap and that when the yellow flags were waved that it wasn’t me that caused them. Then apparently after a bit of time she was starting to get into it a bit, willing me on to go a bit quicker and pass that damn Swift (I’ve decided that this other car is my first goal for the next race – I WILL beat him, assuming I don’t crash). She said that on every lap she could see that I had better speed coming out of camp, but just couldn’t quite get there.

After getting myself together Kev tells me that the other 4 drivers in the team took up the first 4 places in the race, result!! A bloody good team result! Kev was a happy man.

The other drivers get back to the garage and I speak to all of them, congratulating them on their race and them doing the same to me. It was a good atmosphere. Nick Jones (one of the other drivers in the team) managed to come 3[SUP]rd[/SUP], his first podium finish since 2004!! Well done nick!

I get my kit off (settle down ladies), and put my normal clothes back on to find that everyone is just hanging around the garage and the team are starting to pack things away. I literally popped back into the trailer for a minute and when I get back everyone’s vanished! Turns out it was the prizegiving, a very informal affair within the same room that the drivers briefing was held. Trophies were awarded to the first 3 places in each of the classes (I came 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in Class B), each with a nice round of applause from everyone. I then decided that my goal for the next two races was to get on the podium for Class B – I knew that if I can get a dry race then I have a chance, my wet experience is still a bit off the pace.

At that point I remembered that I need to get my signature on my licence to say that I’d completed a race, however this came to an abrupt halt as I didn’t have a photo on my signature card. I’ll have to get the signature at my next race, as long as I remember to bring along the printout of the results.

It was then time to go home, I say my goodbye’s to the team, I get a final congratulations from Kev and know that I’ll be seeing them all again in 3 weeks time for testing on the Thursday, ahead of the May bank holiday race day (7[SUP]th[/SUP] May), which is a double-header, and televised live on Motors TV!! I can’t wait!!! I just hope it’s dry.

So in summary – I qualified 16[SUP]th[/SUP], finished 15[SUP]th[/SUP], came 5[SUP]th[/SUP] in my class (Class B), got 8 points for the Class B championship, didn’t crash the car, overtook some people, didn’t give any places away (apart form on that first corner), and most importantly, I learned a hell of a lot.

Roll on May bank holiday!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  172 Race Car
well done mate. Great read and a good day by the sounds of it.

Your going about it the right way, build up and gradually improve.

Look forward to reading about the next race. Good luck, were at Brands the same day :race:

Turbos.
Great write up, i even got the feeling of nervousness reading it as i recalled my first race! You've explained the whole process very well.

I would say getting thrown in the deep end with the conditions has actually done you a favour. Is this a championship where every round is at the same track?

2003 Cup 172
Cheers for the comments.

Great write up, i even got the feeling of nervousness reading it as i recalled my first race! You've explained the whole process very well.

I would say getting thrown in the deep end with the conditions has actually done you a favour. Is this a championship where every round is at the same track?

Thanks, I was trying to be as detailed as possible as the whole point of me doing this was to give new folk an insight to it all and to see what it's all about. I was looking for something exactly like this last year when I was thinking about going into racing, but couldn't find a thing, apart from someone who was doing something similar but stopped after he passed his ARDS. I'll be setting up a proper full on blog in the next couple of weeks that will go from the point of me thinking about doing all this, through getting my ARDS, buying equipment, finding a team, etc etc. and keep it all up to date throughout my first full season. I just need to get the start of it all written up to my first test day, then it'll be all fully up to date.

I must remember to take more pics and videos though - it's something that's not really on my mind when in the paddock, but realise now that not many pictures / videos just makes it all a bit of a big read nd people may lose interest.

Oh, and yes, the championship I'm in is the Castle Combe FF1600 Championship, so it's all at the same track, which although initially I thought it would be a bit boring and not have much variety, it's very good for me really cause it gives me a season to get used to the car before trying to learn new circuits as well. At the end of the season i'll be entering the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch and the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone, so that'll give me a bit of diversity at the end of the year. I've heard they're awesome events so i'm really looking forward to them.