ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had 197 test drive today

sport 172
Hi people had my test drive today in 197.Got excited about it until i drove away.:(
put my foot down all the way and was not impressed.It just felt really slow.It might just be me but i would rather stick with my 172.Inside was ok and it was a lovley drive.it was like a 1.2 untill 5000 rpm the woke up little.

When i got back to the garage the guy spoke to me and i said what the hell is going on.He then said to drive it properly i have to bounce the car of the rev limiter in every gear.i was little worried about this.i dont think you should need to bounce any car off the limiter to get it to go how it should.I then said to him surely bouncing off limiter alot will not help the engine last.But he assured me it's good for 500,000 miles driving it like a mad man.So i went back out in it and still nothing lol.Overall for the money i was not really that happy with it.Any other views on this would be good.Thanks

Bux

Golf GTD
Was the car warmed up when you took it out? They feel very underpowered when cold.

You do need to get the revs up to get them to shift, but you should feel it pick up around 4k revs

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it was stone cold when you took it out then they bog down. Takes a good 20 minutes for them to warm up properly.

They are no faster/slower than a 182. They just feel slower because they are bigger and more solid.

Swift Sport
I think you have to change your driving style to suit them, and keep it revving constantly. Going straight from a 182 will also make it feel slower due to the size and weight. The 197 I had gained on other Clios if anything, the only thing I hated was the gearbox.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
It's funny (Probably not) - but when the 172 came out, people would whinge that coming from the Williams, which you didn't have to drive that hard to make it go quick, that the 172 had to be kept 'in the range'. To see 172 drivers saying that about the 197 now, it's either really bad (The 197), or you don't realise how much you have to do that (Push hard) with your 172 anyway.

First time I went in a Trophy I thought it felt ages to get going (Had the Williams at the time) - if we're honest to make the 172/182 (Owned both) to go even reasonably quickly, you're not around 3k, more 5k. The 172 has noticably less low down than the 182 too - once they're 5k plus there isn't any difference.

Ph 1 172
To be honest arnt all rs Clio's the same as standard you have to be 4.5k rpm to get them moving properly, the 172's I have driven all have this kick at 5k rpm. 197 felts slower to me because it's bigger but it was the same as my172

White clique
Feeling is everything. If the car feels slow you are probably not going to have as much fun.

I agree if you are buying a car purely to have a blast in, one of the most hardcore feeling cars i had a go in was some done up old school Mini, was probably piss slow. I also shat myself in my mates Citroen 2CV when he was caning it around corners.

However, a modern car manufacturer cannot get away with making cars that are not refined these days. The one thing the motoring press seem to rip apart are things like "engine noise can get annoying on the motorway" etc. People who want a car to feel like a Peugeot 205 GTI are in the minority. NOTHING felt as much of a laugh as my first car, which was an Uno turbo. But no way would i want to drive that around anymore.

Ultra 197
Get on the right road and you work the gears properly you realise why it feels slower b4 5k. Tbh these cars arnt to smash it of the line or road town there B road machines. I personally love mine and think round town it lovely once warm and round country roads its sensational. Just what you prefer.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
same old same old really.

Like Alan said, people say the Mk3 isnt as raw feeling. Raw is light, tinny, nosey, rattly...... 99% of the buying public wont have that now. Jump from one to the other and the refinement is much improved in the Mk3 range. Yes the 197 might not feel as urgent on the button, but as mentioned are no slower in real terms. If they could have made a Mk2 with the more refinement of the MK3 i'd still be in a Trophy or something