ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

H&R rattle from rear - update

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=170535&highlight=H&R

I'd posted up the above thread - basically there's a rattle from my rear H&R coilovers over bumps. I thought it was caused by the bottom of the spring rattling against the lower spring platform (it's a metal-to-metal contact). But it's not...

Popped mine off yesterday, thinking I'd fit a bit of rubber between the bottom of the spring and the lower spring platform to solve the metal-to-metal rattle, and it'd all be hunky dory. Nope.

The rattle isn't actually caused by the spring rattling against the platform: it's actually the threaded bit of the lower spring platform rattling in the bit it threads into... So there wasn't much I could do about that.

I'm wondering if some loctite or threadlok or similar would do the trick - might stop it from rattling around?

Just in case anyone else has the problem and was thinking along the same lines as me...

Ally

hey up mate although i have not got h&r i have apex springs and mine is making the same metal to metal contact is there anyway around this cos the car did not use to do this when i first had them fitted or when i had them on my other clios??? cheers mate

Hmm, I had Apex springs for 18 months before getting the H&Rs and didn't have any noise from mine... Make sure you've got the rubber bit between the bottom of the spring and where the spring sits on the axle - that's where I thought the noise on my H&Rs was coming from but I was wrong...

Anyone else with suggestions? (for either of us lol)

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Maybe take it to a garage for them to have a look at? Always easier up on ramps. Are they still under warranty?

My H&Rs are only a couple of months old and I fitted them myself so I'm guessing no warranty there.

I know what the rattle is now, just a case of how I can fix it. Thinking of siliconing the spring platforms into place - that'd stop the rattles I'm sure. Had it up on axle stands last night for a good poke around.

Iain - does yours sounds like a jiggly, metallic rattle? (hard to describe, can't think of the last time I used the word jiggly...)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i think the rear platforms on these are overly complex. I actually prefere the gaz/fk type platform

K20 EG Hatch
gt_gaz said:
i think the rear platforms on these are overly complex. I actually prefere the gaz/fk type platform

i'll second that, although the h&r's are much better all round i think the fk platforms are a much better idea...

FK's:

DSCN0144.gif

DSCN1608.gif

H & R's:

Photo-0060.gif