ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guess my Gearbox Problem

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

I’m at a track day at Bedford right now. Been having a blast all morning, but just before lunch, a had a problem on track for a moment getting into fourth, then third. As soon as I was out of the corners, I was then able to use all gears again.

Heading back to the pits, the cabin filled with a bit of light smoke, which smells just like gearbox oil.

I can’t see that the car has dumped any oil.

Driving to the main car park, I’ve gone through all gears, all are working and I can get into them normally. There does seem to be an ever so slight metallic sound when shifting into another gear.

Any ideas what this could be??

I’m a bit unsure about heading out on track as I need to get the car home this evening!

Is everything bolted up correctly and the engine mounts pretty fresh? Could be something moving out of alignment under cornering forces.

I am sure I read something on here recently where an issue was caused by cornering forces on track, but I think that was suspension-related... (no help, sorry!)

Is the clutch fluid reservoir filled to the required level? If it's pissing out and low on fluid, it might be that there's not enough to get the clutch fully disengaged, hence the difficulty getting gears? (although I would have thought it would happen all the time if this was the case.)

PH2 172
Hi Guys,

I’m at a track day at Bedford right now. Been having a blast all morning, but just before lunch, a had a problem on track for a moment getting into fourth, then third. As soon as I was out of the corners, I was then able to use all gears again.

Heading back to the pits, the cabin filled with a bit of light smoke, which smells just like gearbox oil.

I can’t see that the car has dumped any oil.

Driving to the main car park, I’ve gone through all gears, all are working and I can get into them normally. There does seem to be an ever so slight metallic sound when shifting into another gear.

Any ideas what this could be??

I’m a bit unsure about heading out on track as I need to get the car home this evening!

I`m not going to guess, but if you have no recovery arrangement, I`d be joining the AA or RAC before attempting to nurse it home to Suffolk.

I assume this is your 182?

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes, I got home fine. I decided to leave the track day early and drive the car home gently.

@bloke - I'm sure you're right about it being a collapsed bearing. All gears are working, but there's very definite continuous transmission noise which I didn't have before. It sounds a bit like the gearbox of a classic mini. I do also get odds sounds every now and then which I can't really describe.

So, my FF 2005 182, at 108,000 miles is now in search of a new gearbox.

Time to get myself started with learning all that I can about these boxes and swapping them out. Luckily the Christmas break isn't too far away which will give me decent time to get the job done.

On a brighter note, I was absolutely loving it out on track yesterday morning. My almost bog standard 182 (standard suspension - all new genuine parts, 16" wheels, PS3 tyres, K-tec induction kit and K-tec exhaust) was doing so so well out there. I was being held up by an F90 M5. I was right on his bumper lap after lap. He couldn't get away from me. Felt amazing :D

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for your replies everyone. Yes, I got home fine. I decided to leave the track day early and drive the car home gently.

@bloke - I'm sure you're right about it being a collapsed bearing. All gears are working, but there's very definite continuous transmission noise which I didn't have before. It sounds a bit like the gearbox of a classic mini. I do also get odds sounds every now and then which I can't really describe.

So, my FF 2005 182, at 108,000 miles is now in search of a new gearbox.

Time to get myself started with learning all that I can about these boxes and swapping them out. Luckily the Christmas break isn't too far away which will give me decent time to get the job done.

On a brighter note, I was absolutely loving it out on track yesterday morning. My almost bog standard 182 (standard suspension - all new genuine parts, 16" wheels, PS3 tyres, K-tec induction kit and K-tec exhaust) was doing so so well out there. I was being held up by an F90 M5. I was right on his bumper lap after lap. He couldn't get away from me. Felt amazing :D
If you get your box out and up to me, I’ll rebuild it for you mate.