ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GTT MOTOR IN RT

Who would insure me if i put the gtt motor in my rt ???? anyone got this done ???? and whats the damage to insure it ????

Speak to BRUN, i think he is with Adrian Flux! Forget this post, see below;)

[Edited by Smokey on 14 May 2004 at 3:11pm]

ive been offered a GTT engine cheap, just only thing is gear box buggered.

scared of........ insurance and they always fook up.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Go see the lads at Torsion Tuning mate, they are excellent and willing to do anything to get your business. They even offered to come and check out a possible donor car for me and its about a 70 mile round - trip!

You can have a basic conversion and basic re-build and it doesnt have to cost you a mint.

Then you will have a good car that can then be tuned at your pleasure.

They reckon that the Clio GTT is better than the valver by a long shot so Im gonna go with the flow and have it done when i can get the funding!

speak to dave: javascript openWin pop_up_profile.asp?profile=6823 , profile , toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=370 ">CorsaD2003

his is at torsion now being done and his insurance wasnt bad, plus hes only 19!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Dave (CorsaD) is having a hell of alot of work done, the engines there being built at the moment.

What they suggest is letting them have the donor car first, they can then strip it all down and do what ever work needs to be done to the engine. Then they have your Clio for about 3 weeks for the conversion.

Think Torsion Tuning were the first company to do the conversion and are seriously clued up.

Dont tell the insurance ;-)

Quote: Originally posted by *328* on 15 May 2004

speak to dave: javascript openWin pop_up_profile.asp?profile=6823 , profile , toolbar=0,location=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=1,width=440,height=370 ">CorsaD2003

Right i need to get hold of this bloke i thought the insurance would be a killer!

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 15 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by *328* on 15 May 2004

Right i need to get hold of this bloke i thought the insurance would be a killer!
Hes using HCI (Herts Insurance Consultants), i put him onto them after getting smaishingly super quotes for both my civic and williams!

and im 24 with 1 yrs NCB, 9 points AND a write off!!!

im 19, held lience 1 year, no points, no claims, 0NCB, and pass pluss if they take it.

if not might have to look at it under my dads name, if i can get the quote low enough i would be half temped to buy this rebuilt GTT off my mate, but how much am i looking at for a new gearbox?

Insurance may not be too bad if you speak to the right people, liv vic talk out there arse most the time, getting a cheap quote is like a lucky dip. As Viv says try HIC. Were in this together haha

As for the conversion Speak to TT. They were the originators and also im pretty dam sure theyve done the most gtt into RT conversions. Im not sure how many GDI have done? 2/3?

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Yep, I believe Torsion did the 1st conversion... I hear they have done 13 or perhaps more successful conversions.... I hear good things.

I also believe Ian at Europarts has done a few conversions

Not sure about David at Ktec... think he has done some too..

GDI (me) did Bruns and many other engine conversions, not just GTTs etc etc and have been building performance engines etc etc for 9 yrs now...

I was very greatful to John at TT as he was able to give me some quick help when we did our 1st GTT conversion, we were not sure about the dash fitment (wanted to know where the interference areas were) we also talked to John about the fuel pump set up... although we ended doing it our own way...

There are other boards that get into "discussions" over who is better etc etc.. Lets keep this a helpfull forum and there is plenty of room for all the professionals that work on the clios etc...

My advice is talk to all the companies direct, call us up...... see if what they have to say fits what you are trying to do, see if you get on with the guy doing the work... talk to other owners, have a look at the pics perhaps come as see the companies.... see their set up and then make your mind up.

Andy

GDI

kool kool, well i will def be trying to get best quote off insurance compaines before i make a decision....

the bit where im a lucky sod is......... the mate who has got the GTT engine, its sitting in an RT already. he had the conversion for a year or two, then had some problems, got a full rebuild, then gearbox went, at the same time he was offered a Cav 4x4 turbo and couldnt refuse, so at mo hes got a RT GTT waiting for me for couple hundred, and my dad used to be a mechanic owned his own business for 20 years and in that time did alot of tunning on the side.

so im pretty sure me and him could either get this RT up to scratch or swap the set up over to mine. like i said only thing thats got me by the balls is the insurance, the gearbox and any unwanted expenditure.

williams 2 turbo

insurance prices, with the new paintjob koni adjustables and turbod charge cooled five turbo lump, that all be another 35.00 on my policy for the year, not bad aye! yeh i did say 35.00

Quote: Originally posted by diamond geezer on 15 May 2004

insurance prices, with the new paintjob koni adjustables and turbod charge cooled five turbo lump, that all be another 35.00 on my policy for the year, not bad aye! yeh i did say 35.00
result! whos that with, you must be boning the directors daughter or something!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Just to say Steve (Diamond Geezer) took me for a little spin down Southend Seafront and his cars the NUTS!

Got the full package of looks, speed and a sound system to die for!

Im def going ahead with a conversion when I find a donor car and suitable funds. Bit annoyed that the donor car I had lined up has no log book and no way of getting one!

Torsion Tuning said Id need it when it comes to MOT time.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Bored with the Valver, have to wait for 5k rpm for anything to happen.

They cost too much to work on and tune as well, could get a GTT lump fitted and tuned to more than a tuned valver for less cash!

Youd be suprised at how many people are going down the same route as well, Steves was a 16v.

Hes would leave mine dead and says it leaves Williams up to about 100mph.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

As Daz says if it was a standard engine then it would be slower but its quite easy to get to 160 - 170bhp on a GTT engine.

Would cost over £2k probably to get a true 170bhp out of the 16v engine.

The 16vs main advantage over the GTT is top end speed.

Turbos are just easier to tune.

The main thing which put me off the GTT conversion was the Choke.. and the starting problems people seem to have.

I was looking at one for my 1.2.. but after I worked out how much Id have to spend on making it handle better, tune it.. I ended up with a Williams.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Thats fair enough, as much as I like Williamss its not the car for me, I think theyre best left pretty standard and I cant do that!!

Could put a 2 litre willy lump in mine but again thats just gonna be another dead end once its in.

Theres something you can get to deal with the starting problems, its caused by fuel evapourating in the fuel lines.

oook after a long discussion with me dad about gettign conversion, kinda came to conclusion wouldnt be worth it.

1. hes the one that will be doing all the work, and he wont be able to get much time off. so i need somthink reliable..... 16v? :confused: lol we shall see

2. the lump i have been offered, has had alot of sh*t thrown at it, even tho just been fully rebuilt 6 months ago, it was running 9-12psi min i think?!? plus the git had a 50 or 75bhp nos kit on it. kinda put me off.

3. 5s well known for constantly breaking down?!?

4. 16V plenty of power for me? will be my 3rd car

5. oh yea there was insurance

The initial cost for me was just well too much.. and, even after that, I dont think it would have been quicker than the Williams - itd be pretty much standard.

The Williams is pretty much perfect for me.. its quick, it handles mint (like, Id never be able to make my 1.2 handle like it, I guess..) etc..

I woulda liked to have done the conversion - but there are a few to many againsts in my case. Sure it works for LOTS of people.. just not for me.

Id probably like to own one tho.. heh. Turbod cars are pretty sweet.

kingJimBob - you in the same position as me pretty much. I wanted a 16v originally.. it definetly seems the logical way to go..

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Youll get used to the power of a 16v after a few months, then youll be thinking of ways to make it faster, but youll be stuck.

Only ways to get noticable differences in power cost so much.

I had an RT for 3 1/2 years before I got my valver, Ive had that for just over a year now and am so bored with having nothing to do to it.

Only thing Id consider is head, cams and chip but thatll only get about 160bhp and then short of a 16v turbo conversion or throttle bodies theres nothing else to do.

Ive never driven a Williams, so I cant comment on those, I have never even been in one, all I know is they dont suffer from the lack of torque at low revs that I suffer from!

(Also Im not gonna post up prices but you can get a GTT conversion and a minor rebuild for less than £2k)

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

Matt

prices is about right for conversion + some mods / minor build...

thing with the gtt engine, its easy to get 160bhp from that even on a standard engine....

it does not suffer from any more reliability problems than others cars as longs as its looked after...

you will love the conversion, its a good weight in the clio and handles well...

Andy

GDI

Skoda Fabia vRS

im more than happy with mine, and i cant recommend anyone more to do the conversion than Andy at GDI

what other tuners do you know that speak to the members of this forum on a regular basis

ive also got a CD from Andy packed with photos of my conversion

trust me, give him a ring, hes a very honest straight talkin bloke and doesnt bull sh*t you about anythin, like time, cost, power gains etc

insurance on a 16v will potentially cost more than a Clio GTT, im payin about £900 fully comp.........and EVERYTHING is declared, do NOT do has been mentioned about not declaring it, its simply not worth it

oh and why would you need the log book for the old car when gettin an MOT ?...........i sold my donor car shell along with the logbook and i had an MOT about 4 weeks back and it passed first time

there is loads of pics on this forum of my conversion so have a look at those

as Andy has already pointed out, ring everyone, see who seems the best to you, and go with them, i rang everyone, Andy was the best IMO, he did my conversion, simple as that........