ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Grr can't decide. Keep 1.2 or get a 2.0?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I really want to either modify my current car (well, continue modifying it) until it's perfect and exactly how I want it or get a 172. I learnt to drive in my brothers PH 172 so I know exactly how powerful they are (I was very dissapointed when I got my 1.2 lol) but I also like the idea of having a unique car that's exactly how I want it to be. I'd need to sell my current car and then get the 172 after a little saving towards the end of next month/July.

Just wondering if anyone else could show their opinion to help me decide? I know that at the end of the day it's my decision but I really can't decide so any help would be appreciated!

Pros/cons of keeping 1.2:

+ One-of-a-kind
+ Exactly how I want my car to look
+ Cheaper to run/keep
+ No hassle re-insuring or selling/finding/buying
- Slow
- Poor performance (though some mods will help that)

Pros/cons of getting a 2.0:
+ Real engine
+ Better handling
- Looks like any other 2.0
- More expensive to run/keep
- More chance of wrapping it around a tree (I'll admit it)

Any more?

Planned mods for 1.2:
+ New shocks+springs to take between 60mm and 90mm
+ New interior (ie. reclining buckets to help match colour of car)
+ Finish colour coding outside
+ Powdercoat wheels (anthracite with yellow)
+ Strip rear out
+ CAF and new lower grille
+ Sport rear bumper
+ Single 3.5" exhaust (instead of the 3.5" twin) and decat

I'll take a pic of my car when I get home (in about 30 mins) and post here to show how it stands at the mo'.

Last edited:
  2002 Cup172
get the 172. you will spend just as much modding your car as buyin the 172 in the first place.

and just stay well away from wooded area's lol.

LY R26 230 F1 Team
I think you know what the answer will be mate.
Do as i'm doing and aim for everything you buy for your 1.2 from now on to fit into the 1*2

The way i see it is enjoy your 1.2 while you dont have the stress of £2k insurance hanging over your head.

Nothing worse than your mates ringing up saying
"alright fancy coming out? That bird that fancies you is out tonight"

And your reply being

"Sorry i cant afford to go out petrol for the 2.0L and insurnace has crippled me this month"

Get your 1.2 looking mint and you'll love it. When you do get the 2.0 you'll only want something else.

The grass is ALLWAYS greener lol.

Whatever you choose have fun =]

Having been there and done that for far too long now, even though you've ploughed good money into the slower car you will always want the faster one - and if you get a fast one as a base to work from you can still modify it and you won't be 'wasting' your money on something that you'll never get any money back from.

Go 172, you know you want to ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
For the pros and cons for performance to your 1200cc, no amount of engine mods will make it noticeablly faster. There is no substitute for cubic capacity, its slow, and always will be slow

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Being that I'm 19 and still (just) in my first year of driving, insurance is really going to sting me.

Thing is.. I don't want to modify a 172 in the same way. It's pretty much modified 1.2 or almost standard 172. :)

MCS R56
172 - there's no question, if you can afford it. Although it sounds like you will have it written off so maybe the 1.2 is a better option!

You'll not get much more out your 1.2, performance wise. Maybe 2bhp. The mods might make it a one-of-a-kind but it's still just a 1.2 Clio.

No contest imo.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
For the pros and cons for performance to your 1200cc, no amount of engine mods will make it noticeablly faster. There is no substitute for cubic capacity, its slow, and always will be slow
I mean lowering it will help with cornering, breathing mods to help with acceleration. I know that with no matter how many mods it won't be anywhere near the 172 (or even a 1.4 for that matter).

I know it's slow and always will be - that's why is a con :)

133, 182, Kangoo 182
172 - there's no question, if you can afford it. Although it sounds like you will have it written off so maybe the 1.2 is a better option!

You'll not get much more out your 1.2, performance wise. Maybe 2bhp. The mods might make it a one-of-a-kind but it's still just a 1.2 Clio.

No contest imo.
But the main question I'm trying to get across is.. do I need a fast car, or a car that looks good? I know that people will probably look down at me for having a "girly" engine but I don't think I really need it.

MCS R56
But the main question I'm trying to get across is.. do I need a fast car, or a car that looks good? I know that people will probably look down at me for having a "girly" engine but I don't think I really need it.

Only you know this. As for it being a girly engine (1.2)...you might be slightly sexist with that comment but I don't think you should worry about that. It's more likely people will laugh at any mods you have, unless they are subtle.

Leave the 172 until the insurance isn't a joke!

LY R26 230 F1 Team

There is your answer then.

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
im in this position too mate
my plan is get my car looking good, total spend on it bout £500.
then start saving for a 172 and think bout buying when my 2yncb comes around in april.

i wouldnt spend silly money on a 1.2.
mods like bucket seats, mint engine bay, cup spoiler are wasted money on a 1.2 imo. unless you can get your money back.

why spend over £1000-1500 modding a 1.2 when you can get a 172 for £2000 ish.

02 Clio Extreme
I want a 172 cup :( .. but I am going to fight and stay strong and keep my 1.2 for another year (I'll be over 21yrs)

^ I dread to think how much I have spent so far.. roughly £3200(ouch!) and its still needs to see the bodyshop for some tlc

Ph1
Stick with the 1.2 for now imo because (no offence) you sound like your at the age range of likes to fiddle with stick on bits, subs blaring, 18's, Max Power rules yo and likes to cruise about attracting the Shiela's :)

Clio Sport ownership is more about the cars ability where as i think your maybe at the stage in wanting to look good

Clio 172 cup
Keep the 1.2 till you can get a decent price on ya insurance

anyone paying more than 2k for insurance needs their head reading :slap:

Ph1 Williams No: 112
What Chris_786 said.

I had the same thoughts on getting a williams or other 2litre engines or modify mine and i went from that to leaving everything altogether and enjoying my money on different things..

and when you do have extra money spend it on the one point poo; if its your first car and you have eventually modified it exactly how you want it it will always give you a smile that a really fast car cannot give you.

a fast car will give you that adrenaline and 'fun' factor of owning everyone but again as Chris_786 said, go out and spend it on having fun than just 'wrapping yourself round a tree'! then when you can afford it, by all means buy a 172 or a full fat 182.

BMW E30 325iiiiii
i was in ur exact same positon, took me a year to get my 1.2 lookin good...went for a test drive in a 182, put the foot down in it ":eek::approve::D where do i sign"

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Get the sport, i was about to do a replica about a year ago, i got talked out of it and it was the best decition i made. if you have done the rep, sell the bits and get the 2.0l

alien green rs133
if your happy with your car atm drop a bigger renault engine in and enjoy only slightly raised insurance :D but more POWER

Mk6 Fiesta Zs
Keep the 1.2 till you can get a decent price on ya insurance

anyone paying more than 2k for insurance needs their head reading :slap:

+1 !

i've threw a good bit of money at my 1.2, with the majority being mechanical work. it somehow, doesn't really bother me ! i know i'll look back a couple of years from now and think, wtf was i thinking?! but f**k it ! i would love a quicker car obviously, but i know even running the thing would cripple me !

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I mean lowering it will help with cornering, breathing mods to help with acceleration. I know that with no matter how many mods it won't be anywhere near the 172 (or even a 1.4 for that matter).

I know it's slow and always will be - that's why is a con :)

You're talking about lowering it 60-90mm, that's likely to have an adverse effect on your handling.

My personal advice is to stick with the 1.2 for a bit, then move to something in between, a 1.6 or something. Then go for an RS. At least that way you learn gradually how to handle something more powerful.

Shed.
I think you know what the answer will be mate.
Do as i'm doing and aim for everything you buy for your 1.2 from now on to fit into the 1*2

The way i see it is enjoy your 1.2 while you dont have the stress of £2k insurance hanging over your head.

Nothing worse than your mates ringing up saying
"alright fancy coming out? That bird that fancies you is out tonight"

And your reply being

"Sorry i cant afford to go out petrol for the 2.0L and insurnace has crippled me this month"

Get your 1.2 looking mint and you'll love it. When you do get the 2.0 you'll only want something else.

The grass is ALLWAYS greener lol.

Whatever you choose have fun =]

Aint that the f**king truth lol.

I had a 1.2 16v mate, and sold it and bought another but newer. Would of given up my social life to run on of those mate and if id of bought one when i wanted to id of regretted it big style. I started going out and getting trashed all the time lol. £400+ on booze every 4 weeks (Im not a heavy drinker mind and we knew someone that worked in every club so didnt pay to get in anywhere). Yeah 172 bhp is good fun but youll soon get used to it and it aint that fast anyways.

Now im saving for something a bit bigger. Still.

Up to you mate tho, i dont know your age and i dont know what your income is there are plenty on here who are 19 and own a 1*2. I perosnally think they have more money than sense but hey im a wanker.

Search the general section for my username and amungst all the pointless s**t i post youll find a similar thread "can i afford a 172?" No, i couldnt, unless i spent every penny i had and lived on peanut butter sandwiches.

DCi 100
Keep the 1.2, do what you fancy with it and then in acouple of years time jump ship to a 1*2 and stick all your stuff you've collected into that?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Keep the 1.2 get some driving experience under your belt, get a few year no claims. Im pleased i had slow cars for my first few years, now i have calmed down and understand the roads and dos and dont ect.

Prove to yourself and others you are sensible and mature then move up the ladder, Jumping in to a RS will probably end in a crash.

Saying this my younger brother got his 172 at 18 after a year of driving a 1.2, he had the luxury of watching me learn to drive and the things i did wrong in my first couple of years. I will be the first to admit he was alot calmer driver at 17 than i was.

Personally i love my 182 im 21 (got it at 20) I feel that after driving since i was 17 earning my NCB i deserved it and im able to respect the car.

1.4 16V Mk2 Ph2
Get an RS, iv got a 1.2 but i drove a cup at work the other day and it was awsome. Everytime i drive mine now i wish i was as good as that

ibiza cupra
get the sport. you can allways do all the bits you want to the 172 for not much more than it would cost on the 1.2 but it will have some bite with its bark and if you decide that you cant afford it then just get rid. there are allways people on the look out for an rs clio so you will have no worries selling it.

PH-QUICK
Was in the same situation a month ago, got a LOVELY ph1 172. Best decision i've ever made tbh.

But my insurance was under half what your talking about, and i've had the 1.2 for over 2 years now, so might be worth waiting for another years of NCB.

Megane 225 F1
Do what im doing. Do your current car up with and have a plan on what you want to do to it (keep it simple, wheels, lower, exhaust, cc) and then save for a 2ltr and by the time you have enough money to buy one, insurance shouldnt be that bad because it will be a few years time.