ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GRP / Fibreglass Bonnet - Stay Support

Clio 172 (CUP)
Before I go and transfer the OEM bonnet stay to my new lightweight bonnet, do others on here have a better solution for supporting the bonnet that's lightweight/simple?

...a wooden broomstick handle is not suitable as it means I've still got to carry it around [emoji3]

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
I know it’s an old post, but has anybody else found a better solution than reusing the original bonnet stay with a fibreglass bonnet?

Maybe supporting it in the centre but then you have an obstruction when working under the bonnet.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
The oem stay is a no-go.
Thought about it for mine but the bonnet twist a lit under its own weight. Not like It

On my track car I fabricated a nice long aluminum pipe (14mm in diameter) with one rubber end and another plastic pointy end.
The pointy goes in the square hole near headlight, the rubbery end goes in one of the recess of the bonnet, where oem got those squarish holes.. it hold well and its handy when working.
Yes you have to carry around if you need it.

I've seen some guys use those premade telescopic curtain bars.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Wow, didn’t realise they were that fragile
Think of it like those de skinned metal ones. But made of fiberglass which is way more flopsy being that big.
Plus it needs to be light.. so.. at fixings is strong but where its not needed it has been left light and thin.
I weighted everything as I am obsessed, and oem metal one was 11kg, my fiberglass (further trimmed because of itbs) was around 3.2 without catches and paint. So you can imagine yourself its strength ehheh