ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Group N Spec Clutch

I rang up K-Tec and said to them that I drive my clio 1.6 16v Dynamique quite hard most of the time. They recommennded me to get an uprated clutch for my clio. I thought that my car comes with a sports clutch that can handle a bit of torque. Guess I was wrong

your clutch will be fine as long as you haven,t increased power by a serious amount or traction by a similar amount

dogmaul, how do you mean slip? & maxiboy, how much bhp increase are we talking about here?

My brothers, I mite seem like a dumb mother F**ker here, but when it comes to mother f**king clutches, me nos sh*t. I just drive the mother f**ker fast and hope that no mother f**ker is gonna arrest my crazy ass!!!

N e way, en nuff with this sh*t! Hope to here your reply gentlemen. Have a good day.

domaul - I would also appreciate someone xplaining exactly what it is to slip the clutch as i seem to go through clutches quite quickly and would appreciate a tip on how not to!!!

cheers mate

Martin

- Dont leave your foot on it whilst accelerating!! Otherwise slippage will occur!

- Dont launch the car as if your doing a 1/4 mile sprint every single time you pull away!! This will inevitably shorten its life.

- At the end of the day if you drive the car hard ie: accelerate very hard a lot of the time, the clutch will not last as long.

- The clutch biting point is very high on the 172 so it is easier than some cars to slip it slightly when changing gears.

-I go thro clutches - purely because I drive the car very hard, I put up with it, its either that or drive slowly.

yeah slipping is when you feed the clutch in slowly while reving the engine what it does is glaze the face of the clutch makes it shiny and slippy so wont take the power anymore you can tell when you start to do this as you can smell it and trust me you wont miss it lol

Quote: Originally posted by OLLZIE on 15 January 2004

dogmaul, how do you mean slip? & maxiboy, how much bhp increase are we talking about here?

My brothers, I mite seem like a dumb mother F**ker here, but when it comes to mother f**king clutches, me nos sh*t. I just drive the mother f**ker fast and hope that no mother f**ker is gonna arrest my crazy ass!!!

N e way, en nuff with this sh*t! Hope to here your reply gentlemen. Have a good day.

Yo Yo Yo Mofo

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

errr what exactly is the point of this thread?

fitting a new clutch alone wont make any diference to your car as it is.

and anyway why are ktec telling you to fit a group n clutch? you dont need one for years on your car.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 15 January 2004

and anyway why are ktec telling you to fit a group n clutch? you dont need one for years on your car.

Only one thing I can think of ... Cha Ching Money !

182 cup pack

Quote: Originally posted by OLLZIE on 13 January 2004

I rang up K-Tec and said to them that I drive my clio 1.6 16v Dynamique quite hard most of the time. They recommennded me to get an uprated clutch for my clio. I thought that my car comes with a sports clutch that can handle a bit of torque. Guess I was wrong

I would say that there is no need in changing the clutch kit if your car has no other mods....

I have done a lot of things in my clio and still the clutch is in pretty good condition(62000kms)

When I reach 75000 kms I would think of changing it with groupN clutch kit that k-tec is offering.

cheers CUP8OY and Dogmaul - it looks like its all part and parcel of driving the car hard then me thinks.

Just out of interest - how frequently do you go trhough clutches? CUP8OY?

thanks again

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2

If a customer calls us concerned about the life of his standard clutch due to the way the car is driven we will, as is the case here, recommend an uprated clutch be fitted once the standard one is starting to fail. The 1.6 16v clutch is well up to the job of being driven hard but if the car is driven hard enough to cause the clutch to slip we would not recommend fitting another standard clutch back in, this is when the group N clutch would be recommended.

We would not try to sell the clutch just for the sake of it, only if it is what the customer wants and needs. We cannot force someone to buy something from us and we are hardly going to recommend the customer replaces a standard part with another standard part if it is not doing its job properly. That would be classed as selling something just for the sake of it.

David.

Martin 172 - I went through my first clutch in about 16K (6 months!!) Thats when I first noticed a problem with the pedal biting higher than normal (Thats very high!!!) Renault said it was blue (denoting it getting seriously hot) and the clutch plate distorted and id abused it. (Still managed to get it under warranty though).

I dont ride the clutch, but what I do do is accelarate very hard all the time, do quick gear changes, and slow down on the gears. So I can only conclude this is why the clutch failed, and perhaps it would have been better if Renault had put a more uprated clutch in considering it was designed to be a trackday car. I know a lot of owners havent had a problem, but the ones I know, dont drive it like I do!

I have just put it down to a downside of having a quick car - but will definately go for a Group N spec one next time.

cheers CUP8OY - i also go through a clutch in 6 months and seem to be getting to the same stage with the clutch that has been in there now for the second 6 months. I dont ride the clutch however acclerate hard most of the time (thats the fun bit of this car) and i also slow down through the gears.

cheers for your advice mate.

Well from K-Tecs site it seems the Group N cluths will last longer than the 16v one. The guy seems to be giving you adivce, it could save you money in the end!