ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Group B rally vid

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Still gives me goosebumps watching this. Absolutely love Group B Rally. Was lucky enough to see a little bit of it for real when i was a kid.

A common dialogue between a Group B engineer and Group B rally driver.

Driver - "The suspension is too stiff"

Engineer - "We'll raise the boost then"

Apparently Nigel Mansell drove the Peugot round Estoril in 86 and would have qualified 6th for the 86 Portugese Grand Prix.

[youtube]nYhiJeRPgdw[/youtube]

ValverInBits
Apparently Nigel Mansell drove the Peugot round Estoril in 86 and would have qualified 6th for the 86 Portugese Grand Prix.

nearly...one guy says

http://home.wxs.nl/~koper193/groupb.html said:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]For instance, the Lancia Delta S4 could accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 2.3 seconds on a gravel road. Henri Toivonen drove an S4 around Estoril, the Portuguese Grand Prix circuit, so quickly that he would have qualified sixth for the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix. Nigel Mansell sampled a Peugeot 205 T16 and said it could out-accelerate his F1 car. And, perhaps most impressive (frightening?), the driver's reaction times were cut in half compared with previous rally cars. The Group B rally cars and their pilots were the stuff of which legends are made.[/FONT]

But I personally think this PH quote is closer to the truth

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&h=&t=241786 said:
Anyways, the best time Walter Rohl recorded during the test would have qualifed him 6th on the grid for the '86 Portugese GP."

same track, different driver, different car, same claim

and, it's not mentioned on toivonens biography/fan site
www.thruxton.f9.co.uk/henri/henri_career.htm

Facelift R53 Cooper S
The cars are nothing short of epic, and the noise they make can only be comparable to the big bang itself!

But its no surprise they were banned lol, those drivers must either have been crazy or absolute hero's, or perhaps both.

306 GTI-6
Awesome period of rallying. The cars and the drivers epic. Fans just as mental as well to be honest, to stand so close and wait so long to jump out of the way.

The video is really well put together as well, edited with the music superbly imo.

Mondeo ST220
Love Group B. Only wish I'd of had chance to see it in the flesh. The cars are mental, but that's what the top level of motorsport should be IMO. Push the limits of what's possible.

Oh the sound!!!

172 ph1
immense class b...wish id seen it in the flesh...not sure id of stood in their way they are fast as fook! mint song for the vid aswel

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
This was one of the main reasons it was banned. As the info for the video says "the final nail in the coffin for Group B Rally".

Henri Toivonen....Absolute Group B Legend.
[youtube]Kgb8yp0eywM[/youtube]

B

Brown.

mint.....

Screenshot2010-01-02at191647.png

Just look at how many spectators there were compared to now. The WRC must know they killed the sport off with the death of Group B.

I'm all for the safety of drivers, co drivers and spectators. I really think if they controlled spectators more (hard I know) and limited the car to a degree, WRC could be what it once was. Plus the advances in safety compared to then.