ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gripper and LHS drive shaft

172 gravel rally
I have recently fitted a Gripper Diff and found that I have to shorten the LHS drive shaft. Has anybody else had to do this and if so by how much? I have taken some measurements and think that 15mm seems to be about right but it is hard to be completely accurate as the diff is now in the car and the CV cup is not quite in the same relationship with the crown wheel as the standard diff.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
I think this is only an issue on the first design on Gripper diff - not the newer style ones!!! Although I stand to be corrected - best bet is to speak to Gripper themselves.

Lionel Richie
na i spoke to them at Autosport and you still have to shorten the driveshaft, but they can do it for you in house, i think the guy said 10-15mm, they're only down the road from me, so i can find out

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I looked into gripper, but i wasnt sure on the DS,

How much was the diff? think they were £700 when i last checked.

172 gravel rally
I just go my shaft back from being shortened but haven't fitted it in the car yet. Endd up with a measurement of 16mm but I suppose it depends on what camber you want to run. My shaft was already bottoming out in the standard diff so I added a couple of mm's to account for the additional camber. Had a nightmare getting the shaft shortened as they broke the outer CV taking it apart and renault have changed the design of the CV since the 172.

172 gravel rally
I think it was 780 but can't remember if the was with or without VAT.

Fitted the drive shaft last night and I would say for my car the ideal amount to shorten the shaft would be 12-13mm. Mine is ok but any shorter and I would have been concerned.

172 gravel rally
I was actually really surprised at how quiet it was. I have heard about them clunking and rattling but didn't get any of that. It may change as the plates bed in though.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Mine clunks and cracks (suposed too its normal) all the time in the rally car, with the higher bolt on final drive it wines too..! Sounds awsome. Well impressed in the performace of the diff though transforms the car..!!!

172 gravel rally
It's starting to get a bit noisier now, no clunking yet but makes a hell of a rattle when the diff opens.

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
What do they do about splines when they shorten the driveshaft? Or the remaining length of splines is enough to fit t back?