ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

grey import

172 16v
anybody got 1 of these after trying to get engine parts ive bin told that mine is a grey import or sumets has any1 got 1???

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It won't be grey.

It's called a parallel import.

Grey is when the car is not sold in this country, and/or the spec is vastly different. Like an R32 GT-R.

Parallel is the opposite. Although technically, all 172/182's in the UK are paralell imports, since all the UK-spec additions are added on our shores. Alarm, locking nuts and etching.

Nothing to worry about, as he says it's a parrallel import, unless it came from some really obscure country.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yup. Grey is basically a car obtained by channels unlicenced by the manufacturer. Paralell is otherwise.

There are a few exceptions though, Nissan and Mitsubishi, for example.

Imports don't come up on Renaults system with the reg, just keep the chassis number to hand and you won't have an issue.

172 16v
Either way parts for your engine should be fine from any other 1*2 :)

bin trying to get ht leads and coil pack ppl say that they have a pencil type coil pack,, which mine isnt and today been told that grey imports has leads and a diff coil pack which mine has, jus really confusing me doin me head in ppl tellin 1 thing then others saying different, lol and by means of etching windows u mean goin up n down auto?? my driver window does but passenger doesnt,
i was told a grey import is a car that some 1 personally has paid to get it imported there selfs other than a main dealer..

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL. They are the same car!

The guy is talking sh*t.

They're built in the same factory. The European cars are built by right-handed garlic-munchers, and the UK cars are built by left-handed garlic munchers.

Da

Less
loads of import 172s in the UK, most owners are surprised when you tell them. It makes near as damn it no difference

The most important thing to bear in mind is insurance issues as the car wont be UK - Spec it may not have the necessary security additions for our crime ridden streets :)

ITB'd MK1
LOL. They are the same car!

The guy is talking sh*t.

They're built in the same factory. The European cars are built by right-handed garlic-munchers, and the UK cars are built by left-handed garlic munchers.

as above.

First thing that brings it to my attention is the lack of an alarm switch on the slam panel. You'd never really know unless you looked extremely closely

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
From his obvious lack of knowledge, he'd probably try to tell you that you need a coilpack from an Benz Motor Carriage.

He could maybe source on for a few grand.

172 16v
thats wat im sayin ive been told that that a random guy has bought my clio from new from another country and payed for it to be imported and not gone thru a dealer thats a grey import int it???

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
thats wat im sayin ive been told that that a random guy has bought my clio from new from another country and payed for it to be imported and not gone thru a dealer thats a grey import int it???

Why would it be right-hand drive then?

The guy that told you that is a mong.

Parallel.

Da

Less
Grey? ;)

Your car is a parallel import, nobody on here will/can own a grey import Clio.

End/

Not got a car
my Inferno looks grey when its under a orange street lamp outside my nans, and its an import.

What ya reckon to that then sonny jims.