ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greetings and buying advice request please

Fiat Punto
Hello all, I hope everyone is well :). My name is Jon, just wanted to introduce myself, this is my first post.

I am looking to buy a 172/182, I have researched into them a fair bit and I am aware of some of the things I should be looking out for, i.e cambelt and auxiliary belt change, exhaust, engine mountings, service history etc.

I am interested though, to hear your views and opinions regarding mileage. There are a lot of cars out there, some with very low mileage, some with quite high mileage. Is it better to buy a low mileage car that has been driven carefully? or buy a higher mileage car that has been driven harder and more often?

I imagine a lot of it would fall down to how well the car had been maintained during its life.

I have been looking into buying a phase 2 172 on a 52 plate that I have seen advertised. It has covered just under 50,000 miles, which is quite low for its age. It has a good service history and the seller is a Renault Tech who has recently replaced the cambelt, aux belt, camshaft dephaser pulley, engine mount and track rod ends. Has 12 months mot and he is asking £2995 for it, not sure if that is a little over priced though?

I have since heard worrying stories from other people who have bought lower mileage 172/182's and had a lot of problems once they've really started to push them hard.
This has therefore left me a feeling little unsure, I don't intend to use the car on a track but I do intend to drive it the way it was built to be driven, if that makes sense.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on this. Thanks, Jon