ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got the cup back

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
Well after 3 long weeks without the cup, as the engine had to be rebuilt, see my previous post http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=372977 i've finally got it back.

What a dissapointment, i really really thought i would miss the little cup. I've owned it for 4 1/2 years since it was new! I didn't enjoy the drive home ... or the drive into work this morning....I think i've lost faith in it.

I feel gutted because i know whats coming ... i'll be selling it after xmas! I thought i'd miss the power after driving various low powered cars but all i was greeted with was rattles and and bangs, a super stiff clutch and heaving steering! I just can't be bothered with all of that now.

i really wanted to keep if for good before the engine decided to die on me! i was planning on keeping it for only weekends and store it in my garage midweek but even that idea doesn't appeal to me anymore...... :(:(:( just thought i'd share

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Shame :( Sometimes I wonder if I'd be better off buying something like a 197 and keeping it standard rather than putting money into the cup...

2 cars ftw?

audi a6 3.0tdi
I've got two cars and i think its the way forward. even though the clio is not much quicker than my vectra its more of a drivers car and i look forward to driving it at weekends and evenings

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
i would usually say its just a phase but i think your ready to move on.
physciatrist session over for today.x

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
2 cars FTW indeed, but i dont know if its worth keeping the cup as a weekend car. If anything else went wrong with it i'd be very angry lol. Ah the pleasure of motoring!!!

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
+1

or...

Maybe wait untill the roads a bit safer, and then take it for a long B road blast?

that maybe the cure ... an early sunday morning blast on some bone dry roads ... if that doesnt do the trick then i'm definately getting rid!!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
When something major like this happens its just not the same when it comes back.

Bit like women really

Mk4 .:R32
I'm the same. Getting bored of the rattles, uncomfortable ride and the general feeling that you're in a shoe box made of plastic held together by paper clips.

Next year I'm gonna sell it and get something newer, better built but still quite fun!
It's gotta be done!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
I'm the same. Getting bored of the rattles, uncomfortable ride and the general feeling that you're in a shoe box made of plastic held together by paper clips.

Next year I'm gonna sell it and get something newer, better built but still quite fun!
It's gotta be done!

Same. My return to 1*2 ownership hasn't been great thus far. Lookin foward to March! :)

Before I bought my car I did look at getting a cup of some description but decided against it mainly because the lack of features seemed more of a marketing con to me than anything else, and I knew getting the 182 with all the goodies would prolong my interest in the car, even if something like you've experienced occurred!

A few things I find will always help rekindle the love lol:

1) Drive your gf's R-reg-beaten-to-sh*t-cos-she-can't-drive-hyundai accent 1.2 for a few days, when you get back in the clio you realise just how dialed it is in everyway!!

2) Dont drive everywhere like a looney, I tend to see what MPG I can get lol too keep things calm, but then every so often give it a blast and that way you don't get so used to it!

3) Night driving, basically just going for a drive late (talking 2-3) no cars, pick you favourite roads etc. I've got a couple of routes including a swooping curvy raised carriage way heading into central london that makes my hairs stand on end everytime.

Failing this, sell it and buy a people carrier and just admit your car loving days are over :rasp:

Tangoed Works
i had the feeling in my clio too once into the 2nd year of ownership. Ive never really got bored of that car, but it just ended up feeling too cheap. if it was just you and the road it was perfect, but using it everyday just got tiresome with the cheapness of the interior etc.

having got my mini, i love all the extra refinements and most of all the extra speed of the beast without much compromise in handling, although some mods are on way to make it handle better.

lift number 1 @ btm
i was the same after a rod went, had loads of messing about and it was a long time before i trusted the car again.

eventually it did click again though.