ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got Pulled By The Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
  S4, Tamora, Conti GT
First time this has happened to me, drove past a lay by where they were doing spot checks on cars, got about 100m past and one of their car sped up to me lights on indicating for me to pull over, anyway pulled over went to get out the car policeman shut the door back in my face as he said open the window (pr*ck) so i asked whats the reason for being stopped, and he said cause you have a non standard exhaust on your car, I was shocked, i said it wasnt, he then said it clearly is as I have twin exhaust pipes. Said this is how the car comes, he then said are you getting smart with me, so I just shut up cause i do sometimes have a big mouth.
He then preceded to check everything on my car, tyre tread, all lights, handbrake function, horn etc...Then just let me go,
Are they really allowed to stop someone cause their exhaust looks non standard ( I have an OEM system)
Got a little worried cause I have one of the smaller front plates on, but luckily he didnt notice

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I guess he might have thought if it wasn't OEM that you might have modded the car and not declared the mod making the insurance potentially invalid.

I had a modded Punto previously and got pulled a few times, but never did the police act rude, they'd just ask if the mods were declared, I'd say yes and they'd do a few checks and send me on my way. This guy sounds like a tosser!

145db Euro'd clio
get pulled all the time as i have no front plate. i'd guess mate that theyd never even notice the smaller plate on the front. i have a highly modded car so theyre always checking insurance and everything but aslong as you are polite and not cocky, but show some confidence then they'll usually just let you on your way!

a thirsty one
Perhaps shut the door as your at the side of the road with cars still passing and you prob didn't have a high vis jacket in so prob a safety thing for you and him although admit maybe he could have been a little nicer about it, I'm afraid any aftermarket exhaust is a technical infringement under road traffic law but its not anything which is enforced as having an aftermarket exhaust isn't really in the spirit of what that bit of legislation was for. That's what I remember anyway from a traffic cop once.

Nissan 200sx
Any exhaust which produces a sound level greater than the standard sound level stated in the V5 etc is cause for them to get you to retest your car

ITB'd MK1
i think the wording of earlier legisltion was something like "modifying the vehicles exhaust system to be louder than the manufacturer intended" Originally to stop people drilling holes or cutting baffles out of boxes

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
They can pull you for whatever reason they want. He does sound like a Bellend, but be glad he let you go.

soepy: Exhaust could be too loud, or not have a CAT etc.

Clio 172 ph1
It's because renault cleverly disguised the sports as 1.2's
This is why I dislike Ph2's !
+1 !!

As above, sounds like you got one in a bad mood :(

Happened to us once: We got pulled over after being followed down a dual carriageway, I know because I was suspicious of the car behind us so watched the speedo, that the bf did not go over 80mph, but when we got pulled after the next roundabout the policeman came to the passenger side of the car and opened the door, leant in to ME and said "Do you like being driven around, ridiculously fast, by an idiot?" - PFFT?! He then proceeded to tell me I looked terrified as we'd passed them at some lights (I was asleep - and told him so), and then that the bf had been doing "well in excess of 90mph" - and as soon as the bf started to pull a face the policeman got his notepad out and said "Want to contest that do you mate?" ... We weren't in the mood for an argument so just agreed with everything he said so he'd go away, he told the bf to slow down and then as he wandered back to his car threw in "Oh by the way mate, your Nurburgring sticker's on upside down!" (it wasn't). Purely an exercise in winding us up as much as possible and hoping to get a rise out of us so he'd have something to do us for!! :mad:

Slow red one
I've not been pulled for my yozza since getting it, and if I see any cops I keep the revs low. But then again seeing cops around Norwich is rare thing for me.

1.2 16v clio
I have been pulled over before becuase the policeman thought i have neons on inside the car as in his words the inside of the car was lit up blue. I was on an unlit B road at the times....I didnt have neons on though it was the display from my head unit....sometimes I think it just depends on how anal a copper wants to be. Having stopped me he too proceeded to check the entire car before letting me go

Turbos.
Ring your local police station and make a complain, i would. You have the right to be treated with respect, whether they were in a 'bad mood' or not is irrelevant. I appreciate you were probably feeling a bit intimidated, but its a shame you didn't take down his name.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Ring your local police station and make a complain, i would. You have the right to be treated with respect, whether they were in a 'bad mood' or not is irrelevant. I appreciate you were probably feeling a bit intimidated, but its a shame you didn't take down his name.

Also this.

I was pulled once and the guy was being a Dick, after I asked for his name his tone changed completely!

clio mk1 RSI
yeah 1st thing to do when they start being a knob is ask them for there badge number and there name as they fuckin hate it, most coppers will just pu;; a car because of the boy racer stereo type but best thing to do is keep it shut, I learned this the hard way

Clio 1.2 16v
What an arse.

I've had some funny coppers too! My mate got pulled with me in the car, for not using his indicators. They said we would both get a warning, and If it happens again, we'd both get Asbo's! I didn't realise I had control of the car.

They go on about the law, yet they break their own rules. If you are stopped and you get out and lock your car, and refuse to let them search, they have to get a warrant. Apparently not as some c**t said to us. Just unlucky for that copper that I know my rights.

It wasn't that we had anything we shouldn't have in the car. If they want to arse me around, I'll play them at their own game. Not as clever as they think.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
What an arse.

I've had some funny coppers too! My mate got pulled with me in the car, for not using his indicators. They said we would both get a warning, and If it happens again, we'd both get Asbo's! I didn't realise I had control of the car.

They go on about the law, yet they break their own rules. If you are stopped and you get out and lock your car, and refuse to let them search, they have to get a warrant. Apparently not as some c**t said to us. Just unlucky for that copper that I know my rights.

It wasn't that we had anything we shouldn't have in the car. If they want to arse me around, I'll play them at their own game. Not as clever as they think.

Flol, I can see you getting far with that attitude...

clio campus
If a cop has reason to believe you may have drugs in your car then he doesnt need a warrant under the misuse of drugs act and same applies to firearms, he or she has a right to search your person or your car but it has to be justifiable and reasonable, a cigarette packet on your dashboard is enough to search your car under misuse of drugs act as is a kilo of heroin on your seat.
But if he wants to search your car DONT say "no you need a warrant BOLT " because chances are he will arrest you for preventing an officer from conductin his duties, but why give yourself the hassle unless you do have that kilo of heroin ha

2.2 bar shed.
If you have a kilo of heroin I dont think stopping is going to cross your mind... Surely wouldn't for me anyway.

21 Turbo
If your car was being driven by the **** who had just stolen you'd appreciate the coppers actions. They have no idea who you are, none whatsoever.

Police are pricks here, my gf's brother got pulled over by the 'Guardia Civil' and got breathalised, he was well over so they told him to drive to the bank (10 min each way) and withdraw 250 euros to pay the fine, he went and got it then they told him to leave his car there and walk home flol, he told them to stick it and drove off. He's a nob for drink driving anyway and lucky not to get points but it's rare they do dish out points (too much paper work) I've personally had a lot of aggro with them too, always dishing out fines for their back pocket.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Perhaps the officers in my area are used to pulling modified cars over!!!
all the police that have pulled me over have been nice enough, after a bit of an ear bashing if ive done something silly!

i dont think ive ever been pulled over simply because i drive a modified car!

i think my car would survive a full roadside check, except the horn doesnt work!!

Makes me laugh reading peoples comments towards police, I've been pulled enough times and my mouth normally ends me in more trouble. Unfortunately police are always right, yea some are worse than others but it's their job, they can stop you for any reason they like or even impound your car for the slightest thing it's the way it is. Best thing is to let them do what they are asking and you'll be on your way,

Unfortunately my misses is police, but she takes the opinion of she is doing her job if you get shitty she will throw the book at you if you do as she says she will treat you like you treat her,

GTD, Lupo
if you get shitty she will throw the book at you if you do as she says she will treat you like you treat her,

Ok but turn that on its head. Your misses has had a bad day, painters are in, dog has died, stressed, money issues and she gets shitty with some lad who she thinks has a modified exhaust!! Can that lad get shitty with her? Simple answer is no, and thats the problem. OP had no choice but to go with what the policeman said as it would have got him in more trouble.

I had a similar thing happen about 10 years ago on new years eve when i was the designated driver, and i was accused of drink driving. Long story cut short but i got a sorry letter in the post. The guy was just on a power trip and even when wrong was still right.

But on the other hand i have met a lot more policemen that have been nice and one or two that have just pulled me over to have a look around my old Golf as they had had one when they were younger.

Best advice with cops is be respectful, nice and honest. If that fails just ask for his name and follow up with a complaint. With redundancies looming people don`t need that on their records.

Giulietta 940
A few years ago my mate and I got pulled in his C2 GT, on our way to the cinema. Three cars arrived - one unmarked, and two marked. They searched the car, asked us questions about stuff in it, checked my cigarette packet (for drugs I presume), ran checks on our names etc. When I asked why they had pulled us, they said "Oh, a lot of these cars get stolen. And its more of a girl's car."

Nearly missed the preview showing of Transformers >_>

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Might just be location but ive never been pulled over (Touch wood) and I drive a black 1.4 semi rep, might be down to how I drive though lol

You answered the question yourself there is no point getting shitty with a police officer,

My misses has a cooper s mini, which is modified is massively into her cars, straight through exhaust no silencers lowered etc, she knows the consequences if gets pulled,I.e vrds forms, same as I have a 3/4 plate I know that if I get pulled it's 30£ fine but I wouldn't moan about it.

And about taking there name etc and writing a complaint won't get you anywhere except for getting pulled more oftern just a friendly heads up btw

K
Ok but turn that on its head. Your misses has had a bad day, painters are in, dog has died, stressed, money issues and she gets s**tty with some lad who she thinks has a modified exhaust!! Can that lad get s**tty with her? Simple answer is no, and thats the problem. OP had no choice but to go with what the policeman said as it would have got him in more trouble.

I had a similar thing happen about 10 years ago on new years eve when i was the designated driver, and i was accused of
drink driving. Long story cut short but i got a sorry letter in the post. The guy was just on a power trip and even when wrong was still right.

But on the other hand i have met a lot more policemen that have been nice and one or two that have just pulled me over to have a look around my old Golf as they had had one when they were younger.

Best advice with cops is be respectful, nice and honest. If that fails just ask for his name and follow up with a complaint. With redundancies looming people don`t need that on their records.

172cup
Sounds like a massive t**t!
Ive got cops driving behind my butt 24/7 and never been stopped.......with a Milltek system

Seat Ibiza
+1 !!

As above, sounds like you got one in a bad mood :(

Happened to us once: We got pulled over after being followed down a dual carriageway, I know because I was suspicious of the car behind us so watched the speedo, that the bf did not go over 80mph, but when we got pulled after the next roundabout the policeman came to the passenger side of the car and opened the door, leant in to ME and said "Do you like being driven around, ridiculously fast, by an idiot?" - PFFT?! He then proceeded to tell me I looked terrified as we'd passed them at some lights (I was asleep - and told him so), and then that the bf had been doing "well in excess of 90mph" - and as soon as the bf started to pull a face the policeman got his notepad out and said "Want to contest that do you mate?" ... We weren't in the mood for an argument so just agreed with everything he said so he'd go away, he told the bf to slow down and then as he wandered back to his car threw in "Oh by the way mate, your Nurburgring sticker's on upside down!" (it wasn't). Purely an exercise in winding us up as much as possible and hoping to get a rise out of us so he'd have something to do us for!! :mad:

That is proper weird me and my girlfriend have had a similar one to this, but it was a marked car, so just driving normally and he pulled us over and was a right tw*t, he gave the same comment to me about my Nurburgring sticker, to which I replied;
This is the normal way round mate, but your POLICE sticker on the front of your car is the wrong way round! In a very c*cky way (which is how I always talk to someone who is a idiot) to which he REALLY didn't like!

Status
Not open for further replies.