ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got my fk coilovers fitted on valver but...

They are scrubbing really badly on the arch because it needed a 20mm spacer to bring them out, otherwise the wheel was hitting the coilover without a spacer. So i cant fit them atall without these spacers, does that sound right?

I got them fitted by R-tec in St Albans by the way and thats what they recomened i'd do. Not really happy as i cant lower it more and it doesnt look much lower than when i had the 35mm springs on.

Im running 16'' wheels with 205/45 tyre with an offset of 40.

Last edited:
g_u_l_a said:
They are scrubbing really badly on the arch because it needed a 20mm spacer to bring them out, otherwise the wheel was hitting the coilover without a spacer. So i cant fit them atall without these spacers, does that sound right?

I got them fitted by R-tec in St Albans by the way and thats what they recomened i'd do. Not really happy as i cant lower it more and it doesnt look much lower than when i had the 35mm springs on.

Im running 16'' wheels with 205/45 tyre with an offset of 40.
That's because it was already scraping its arse on the floor!! LoL :clown:

(or at least it was at the Lakeside TA meet!)

Seriously though, is it the alloy or the tyre that is touching the coilover? If it's the tyre then it might be an idea to try swapping to 195/45's to see if the reduced tyre with sorts it. :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
When i put coils on mine i lost the use of my spare wheel coz they rubbed on the coil...i would have needed 30mm of spacers easy...

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No 1.2! lol...I had to buy a spare superleggra incase of a puncture. Not puttin coils on the 172, isn't worth it...a decent set of dampers and springs is more than enough.

The rear is fine, im talking about the front. Bacically i cant put the wheel back on without that 20mm spacer, the tyre touches the coilover part where you turn to increase/decrease height.

g_u_l_a said:
The rear is fine, im talking about the front. Bacically i cant put the wheel back on without that 20mm spacer, the tyre touches the coilover part where you turn to increase/decrease height.

Thats odd...AFAIK no other coilovered valver has had that problem. As said above, likely to be the tyres i reckon too

What wheels do you have on there, width, size, profile of the tyres? My guess is your offset is wrong and you have too wider tyres on there.

Could it be that the camber is excessive/more than usual so the top of the tyre has been brought in too much and now touches? Would camber adjustment bolts be a fix?

Yea i got 205/45/16 tyres at the front and 205/40/16 tyres at the rear, would swaping the front and rear tyres make any difference?

Anyone else with fk coilovers or any coilovers on a valver had the same problem?

Maby something to do with how they fitted it?

I can't think how they would have fitted it wrong! (though, knowing some mechanics, anything's possible... LoL)

I reckon try swapping the wheels over to see if the few mm extra clearance helps. If it doesn't then I'd try and measure just how much extra room I needed - if it's mm again then swap to 195/45/16's - if it's loads then see where it's rubbing and decide if it's something you can take the angle grinder to? :evil: lol :D

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Was probably 1st to have these on my Valver nearly 3 years ago. You will be running excessive negative camber, lowest I had was 2.5 degrees negative camber and correction bolts will bring this to a more reasonable negative 1.5. Handling is great but you will ruin inside edgeof tyres prematurely without the bolts. And lower ride height may also contribute to your problems.

Mine are fine on 195/50/15 so suggets you check tyres and wheel spec also as by running spacers it sounds odd.

And you are right your lowered valver wheels will have gone from | .... | to / .... \
(negative camber)

AstraVan Sportive
What offset are your current wheels?

If they have at ET of higher than standard clio wheels then this could be causing the problems

Coilovers are thinner that standard suspension and mount in the same place so i cant see it being the width of them thats the problem

As others have said, try camber adjustment as it may be the top of the wheel thats the problem

Ok about the offset, where does it say this? Its confusing because it says the numbers 40, 37 and 38 on the wheel so it should be one of them...lol.

Yea it is the top of the tyre thats hitting, even with the 20mm spacer theres only about 2mm clearence. Will getting it laser aligned sort out the camber problem or will i need the camber adjusting bolts? It definetly looks tilted by eye, like this.../....\.

Half stripped mk2 172
Thats offset problem mate, nothing wrong with how they r fitted, on the inner part of the wheel you should have stamped on the pcd and offset of the wheek, if ithe offset is high lower the offset. Camber shouldnt be an issue either, even if you are runing 10 degrees of negative camber!!

Vince