ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got Bored :P Look What i got!

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I can honestly say if I got one of these earlier I would've most likely binned it... It's taken a written off dci (the 'd' stood for drift on that car ;)) and a bumped 1.4 to scare me into respecting cars lol.

It take an accident or a very big moment to slow people down. I had a lowish speed one in my old 1.2 when I was 19 (too fast in the wet) and that was enough to slow me down.

It helps that I couldn't actually afford anything faster until I was into my 20's. The thought of the insurance alone left me dazed.

Meg 300Cup
Each to their own I guess.

Back on topic though: OP do you have any plans for it then i.e. 3/4 front plate, silvervisions and removing the sidelights (yes then it will be a replica of mine from the front) it really if the ideal front end setup for a ph2 1*2 though.

Only plans for it at the moment is the 3/4 plate, a set of TOYO Proxies all round, get rid of the aftermarket air filter, clean up the only scratch ive found, The french colours in the grill which i saw in FASTCAR but no clue how the bloke did it, And thats it for now really, I like the car as standard tbh seems a shame to spoil a mint example, I'm not like a saxo sort of chav who tears around like a c**t everywhere thinking hes the fastest thing on four wheels with a dust bin for an exhaust, I love driving and its the car ive wanted since i started, now ive finally got it and couldnt be happier,

L91

Clio CUP 182
Lol at people saying £2200 insurance is acceptable on a £4000 car.

So going out and buying an £8000 car and spending £4400 on insurance would be ok??

Over 50% of the cars value on insurance is just insanity.

Sounds like something my dad would say, my answer, I go to work all week only have my phone bill and board to pay so insurance doesn't bother me plush still have money left to save, buy clothes, and go out on the hoy! what more does a young lad need? I'm sure this lad feels the same ;)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
The quotes I've had are around the same price as yours, which dosent bother me to be honest. If I wanted cheap insurance I wouldn't be looking at 182's. I earn a good amount of money, and can afford it. You only live once..

Car looks great btw :)

320d
Only plans for it at the moment is the 3/4 plate, a set of TOYO Proxies all round, get rid of the aftermarket air filter, clean up the only scratch ive found, The french colours in the grill which i saw in FASTCAR but no clue how the bloke did it, And thats it for now really, I like the car as standard tbh seems a shame to spoil a mint example, I'm not like a saxo sort of chav who tears around like a c**t everywhere thinking hes the fastest thing on four wheels with a dust bin for an exhaust, I love driving and its the car ive wanted since i started, now ive finally got it and couldnt be happier,

If you get Toyo's I'm joining the you'll bin it in a week bandwagon.

I found the TR1's on my PH1 a terrible tyre in the wet. Dry grip was good though for a medium range tyre.

I agree with FatDan.

2k on insurance is mental. It's not just the insurance but the other associated costs that rise with a more expensive car. Next time your mates are out smashing birds on a Friday night you'll be sat at home because you need to save for the 72k service.

It's just a Clio.

02 Clio 172
I worked with a lad that was spending over £400 a month insuring a 1.4 mk4 Astra, he was young with a ban under his name but he needed a car to get about. I started off in a 1.2 corsa and went up the capacity size as I got bored but still had a 2.0 within my first yr of driving, if he can afford the car and insurance then good on him, enjoy it while your young I say

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
£2200 - FML! That's insane but I guess it's the state of play at the moment.

Most I ever paid on Insurance was my first 205 GTI when 24, that was £550 odd Fully comp. Now the ST220 with us both on it Fully Comp is £350 odd.

Do like that 182 though, looks as it's been looked after too. Fuel usage going up and up too then.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I think most people will think it's worth it at the time... but then later think why did they bother lol. It cost me around £6k to run my Impreza STI for a year, at the time it was simply amazing. Now though, I'd much rather have the money in my bank!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I was paying £1850 a year to insure my modified 106 gti at 21, so can understand why you'd want to do it ...

If you can afford it why not, people on here buy new 200's and lose 6 grand as they walk out the showroom. Insurance is just the same, its throwaway cash.

Nothing wrong with T1Rs either, although i prefer Hankook V12 evos :)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I was paying £1850 a year to insure my modified 106 gti at 21, so can understand why you'd want to do it ...

If you can afford it why not, people on here buy new 200's and lose 6 grand as they walk out the showroom. Insurance is just the same, its throwaway cash.

100% agree

lol at people warning you about crashing it. They're not *that* fast and if you're gonna crash you're gonna crash - you can still be going far too fast for the conditions in a 1.2 so it's all about you.
and another lol at all the old people saying buy something cheaper to insure, it's ridiculous money for any car at a young age, my cousin pays over 2k for his 1.2 corsa, may as well pay a bit more and have a nice car which you'll enjoy.
I'd avoid the T1Rs though tbh. Budget tyres.

lol at people warning you about crashing it. They're not *that* fast and if you're gonna crash you're gonna crash - you can still be going far too fast for the conditions in a 1.2 so it's all about you.
and another lol at all the old people saying buy something cheaper to insure, it's ridiculous money for any car at a young age, my cousin pays over 2k for his 1.2 corsa, may as well pay a bit more and have a nice car which you'll enjoy.

It's not just about the difference in speed. It takes a lot longer to get to dangerous speeds in a 1.2. Your "If you're gonna crash you're gonna crash" is complete rubbish really.

And T1Rs aren't budget tyres.

Audi A5

If you want the French colours on your grill you can do it with electric tape by getting the three colours required and looping it round a couple of times. That's what a couple people on here have done.

I payed 2.5k for my 1st year insurance on my old 182 when I was 19, Jesus that was a lot of money but I wanted a 182 sooo bad lol.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If your in a financel position to afford the insurance, do it. If i was offered, lets say a gt3 porsche and the insurance was 3K and i could afford that and the running costs would i do it? Nah get something not nearlly as good at £600 insurance and pocket the change.

Arctic 182
nice motor. be careful though. if i had a prrformance car at 18 i wouldnt have a license. thats why i had a 1.1 saxo until i was 21 :)

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Good on you I've done the same thing, now got 2 172 cups a track day one shared with my dad and my daily. My insurance is 2k a year and totally worth it IMO, I don't go out drinking don't do drugs don't smoke and having a 172 on the drive makes me happy.

And i treat my car with respect I no what it can do and I don't drive it anywhere near as hard as the potential it has on the road.

320d

I agree. They're not like a 500 whp Skyline or something that is really hard to control. They are a nippy car but they're also very predictable and driver friendly. The power delivery in linear, they aren't tail happy, decent brakes.

Yes you are more likely to have a higher speed off than in a 1.2, but chances are you'd have to be driving like a lunatic to manage to do that and you'd of probably crashed the 1.2 anyway.

I'm sure the OP will be absolutely fine (To OP: don't let me down after I've made the vote of confidence lol)

It's not just about the difference in speed. It takes a lot longer to get to dangerous speeds in a 1.2. Your "If you're gonna crash you're gonna crash" is complete rubbish really.

And T1Rs aren't budget tyres.

Yes obviously it does take longer, but you can still be doing 80 around a corner which you should be doing at 40. And I don't think it's complete rubbish - if someone is clearly a blend and is gonna go hooning round like one then they are gonna crash whatever car they're in. If someone is sensible and respects the road and the car and all the associated dangers then they're not that likely to crash whether in a 1.2 or a 1*2, cos they're not gonna go hooning round everywhere at 6krpm on the limit of the cars traction.
£36 a tyre? I'd class that as budget. They came on the front of my 172, utterly average if I'm being honest. Very soft walls and awful when there is anything more than the slightest bit of moisture. PE2s are only £59 and a much better choice. But that's a topic for another thread.

172/vx220t/m135i
To be honest £2200 for a group 16 car at the age of 18 is good these days, not saying i'd want to pay that but it's the o.p's choice so fair play if it's affordable.

PB Clio 172
As said by lots of people on here, please please be careful with it and look after it.

I would not want to be 18 and driving that, you should be getting drunk and falling over to get home, I think you are mad to pay 2 grand + insurance but its your life at the end of the day :) Enjoy the 1*2 its a cracking car in the right hands !

Astra (H) VXR
I was 19 when I bought my first 106Gti which back then where I live was a wet dream for most of the people I knocked around with, the insurance was £1300 3rd party fire and theft... And I would have paid more because like his lad I lived at home and had nothing better to spend money on.... Even looking back now at 26 on how much I have spent on cars I wouldn't change a thing...

All I would say is be careful in this because as a step from a 1.2 the 182 is much much faster and more aggressive... But enjoy it...

Disastra Coupe

^This man speaks sense.

Meg 300Cup
I agree. They're not like a 500 whp Skyline or something that is really hard to control. They are a nippy car but they're also very predictable and driver friendly. The power delivery in linear, they aren't tail happy, decent brakes.

Yes you are more likely to have a higher speed off than in a 1.2, but chances are you'd have to be driving like a lunatic to manage to do that and you'd of probably crashed the 1.2 anyway.

I'm sure the OP will be absolutely fine (To OP: don't let me down after I've made the vote of confidence lol)

I won't let you down lol, I respect the car and won't be trying anything stupid in it, it is a massive step up from the 1.2 but I'm sensible enough to be able to drive it properly, especially in this shitty weather at the moment, haven't gone any faster than I would have in my 1.2 yet lol

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Enjoy it dude, I personally wouldn't have paid so much but as an enthusiast I can see why you've done it.

Looks a brilliant example aswell!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Given today's climate I don't believe insurance on a 182 for an 18 year old (regardless of postcode) can possibly be £2200!

Fronting by any chance?

LY R26 230 F1 Team
Given today's climate I don't believe insurance on a 182 for an 18 year old (regardless of postcode) can possibly be £2200!

Fronting by any chance?

People I know are paying £3k plus on corsa's so quite possibly fronting.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I thik a lot of people will want to know what inssurance company you are with to get inssurance for £2200 on a 182 at 18? without my no claims bonus, it would have been £1600 for me to inssure mine and im 26!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
There is some right miserable c**ts on this forum lately, why cant you just be happy for the lad?

He's obviously over the moon he's managed to get himself a 182 at a young age, with a decent insurance quote and wants to share it with fellow clio enthusiasts.
Instead you get tw*ts like 80% of this thread contains, giving lectures about how they wouldnt pay that much, how he wont be able to handle the car or just assume because he's a relatively young driver he will fly around like a prick and hurt himself/someone else.

Do you go out and tell people with s**tty £500 1.0 corsa's that they're paying 500% of the value of their car for insurance? No I didnt think so

Just be thankful he's got insurance as there's plenty of scumbags out there that dont

Last edited:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I thik a lot of people will want to know what inssurance company you are with to get inssurance for £2200 on a 182 at 18? without my no claims bonus, it would have been £1600 for me to inssure mine and im 26!

22 years old, 4 years NCB, no points or crashes, Mods: Cams, Remap, exhaust, filter, suspension changes and interior changes £780 fully comp, 10,000 miles a year and 3rd party on other cars, in my own name ofcourse with Adrian Flux.

With Adrian Flux you seem to get better prices for modified cars given that is their speciality, so the guys that dont like to tell the insurance about mods may want to go legit and actually get a decent quote.

There is some right miserable c**ts on this forum lately, why cant you just be happy for the lad?

He's obviously over the moon he's managed to get himself a 182 at a young age, with a decent insurance quote and wants to share it with fellow clio enthusiasts.
Instead you get tw*ts like 80% of this thread contains, giving lectures about how they wouldnt pay that much, how he wont be able to handle the car or just assume because he's a relatively young driver he will fly around like a prick and hurt himself/someone else.

Do you go out and tell people with s**tty £500 1.0 corsa's that they're paying 500% of the value of their car for insurance? No I didnt think so

Just be thankful he's got insurance as there's plenty of scumbags out there that dont

Well said.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
22 years old, 4 years NCB, no points or crashes, Mods: Cams, Remap, exhaust, filter, suspension changes and interior changes £780 fully comp, 10,000 miles a year and 3rd party on other cars, in my own name ofcourse with Adrian Flux.

With Adrian Flux you seem to get better prices for modified cars given that is their speciality, so the guys that dont like to tell the insurance about mods may want to go legit and actually get a decent quote.

thanks i will give them a try when the time comes around again. Im with admiral at the moment will all 'mods' declared with 7 years ncdb for £400 with the misses on there to (which brings it down a bit to).

Nothing at the mo :(
I had a saxo vts at 18, paid £1700 on insurance but that was 7 years ago.

Im happy i did, because as im now living on my own with bills to pay i cant afford it now lol