ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gopro 2 motorsports or Gopro 3 white...which one?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
After reading a few posts on here I'm undecided what to get.
whats everyone's thoughts on the following?

Gopro 2 Motorsports for £200. Adding the Wifi remote to allow use if the app for positioning.
or
Gopro 3 white for £200. Wifi already included.
or
Gopro 3 Silver. Higher res at same price as 2 + wifi.
?????

Will only really be used for trackdays.
What resolution is best all round for trackday use?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Literally just put the same thread up lol!

Where you getting those prices? ChainReaction seam to be best I can find.

Get a hero2 motorsports and wifi backpack+remote for £290

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636194.htm
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636235.htm
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5636431.htm
i have £270 in Argos vouchers that are no use to me. In an ideal world I need the cash but if I can't get rid anywhere else I might be tempted to buy one of these. Never looked in to them before and being a technophobe it's all Chinese to me.
alos by spending £250 you get £25 back in vouchers at the moment so can spend them on SD cards.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
We both await the encyclopaedia and fountain of knowledge that is Cliosport....

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Way I see it is, a Good camera, mounts, with wifi and remote, for pretty much £100 less than the Hero 3 black edition, and do I really need all the extras that the hero 3 has over the hero 2, it's not like i'm some fancy film editor.

Last edited:
  172 Ph1
From what I'm reading on the internet the Silver is same as the hero 2 anyway, just lighter/smaller/has WIFI.

SO make sense to buy the hero 2 motorsport and then get the wifi add on+ Remote seperate.

With this remote control added on to a Gopro 2 , from Argos at £79.99 , can anyone comment on the remote function , I mean with regards to using it on track for instance , what functions are made available from the seat.
Any personal experiences

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Everything thats available on the camera is available on the remote, well thats what i've read.

172 Ph1
That's it , i'm swaying to and fro , I've got a headache , decisions , decisions lol.
I think I'm going to go with your initial thoughts on a GP2 + wifi pack / remote

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I can't help but think the hero 3 is a better camera, but for me, being a true novice I won't use any of it over what the hero 2 has, plus it's £100+ cheaper option.

If you have a smart phone, surely the 3 is the way forward? Can use the app as a remote and check you've got the position right with live view?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Wouldn't want to take my smartphone diving, caving, mtbing etc.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Is use the smartphone but hence why I'd need the wifi pack also on the 2.

I could be wrong, does having the WiFi backpack on mean that you can't use the LCD backpack aswell? I would go for the 3 with everything on board and being able to use the screen aswell in the future.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I think it does, but not I'd be that bothered about that, cos then I'd just use my Iphone.

arg can't decide :(

172 Cup
I could be wrong, does having the WiFi backpack on mean that you can't use the LCD backpack aswell? I would go for the 3 with everything on board and being able to use the screen aswell in the future.

Yes, you can only use one of the bacpac's at a time.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Assume it still fits inside the clear case with a backpack on?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
What about peoples thoughts on the performance of each. Is one infinitely better than the other and if so why? Referring to hero2 motorsports against 3 white.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just looking at the specs the Hero 3 is worse than the Hero 2

Just an example:
3 White only has 5mp camera where the Hero 2 has 11mp, same as the Hero 3 silver.

172 Cup
I've had a Hero 1 and now have a Hero 2(which is for sale!) and a Hero 3 Silver.

The Hero 1 was good but the Hero 2 was better, easier to use menu system and better quality pictures. The Hero 3 White edition is the equivalent of the Hero 1 so I'd probably give it a miss.

The Hero 3 is a nice bit of kit. The smaller size is good for when it's helmet mounted when mountain biking. The built in wifi is also pretty good for this as well. Video footage from the Hero 2 and Hero 3 is very similar, not a huge difference, and the Hero 3 seems to take better still photo's.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My plan was to get the motorsport edition hero 2 which comes with mounts etc, then the wifi back pack and remote, intotal that comes to £280

which is a massive saving over the black edition. £well 80 + whatever the cost of the mounts that come with the hero 2.

172 Cup
My plan was to get the motorsport edition hero 2 which comes with mounts etc, then the wifi back pack and remote, intotal that comes to £280

which is a massive saving over the black edition.

That's probably the best idea. The Black edition is great and a fantastic spec but the majority of normal people don't have the need for the HD footage that it shoots, let alone the computer you'd need to edit it!

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250

which is a massive saving over the black edition.
If so, buy from Argos and only buy the hero2 and something for 99p in gifts section. (wrapping paper etc).
You get £20 voucher to spend as you spent £200.
Then buy the wifi pack using your £20 vouchers and you only spend £260. You then still have a £5 voucher cos you spent another £50 with them. Meaning total cost is £255. Cheap.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
That was my exact thinking, i'm no expert at editing etc, but when the backpack is added to the hero2 is it quite a lardy thing?

Edit: Also see post above, seams well cheap!

172 Cup
That was my exact thinking, i'm no expert at editing etc, but when the backpack is added to the hero2 is it quite a lardy thing?

Edit: Also see post above, seams well cheap!

It's not massive but it does look a bit bulky.
Not really an issue if you're using it in the car or on a motorbike but looks a bit out of place as a helmet camera on a bike.
Saying that, the Gopro always looks bulky compared to something like the Contour cameras.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Oh well. I'm out. Not worth doing. I was only considering cos of these poxy Argos vouchers.