ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Google StreetView - Your opinion?

So, I spent most of today at work playing around with this, and I think it's amazing, but at the same time, wonder about privacy etc.

Pretty much all of Australia, and most of the major cities in USA have been added, as has some of France, and I believe they are in the process of photographing the UK.

I wonder who'll be the first to find someone stood naked at their window or something! :D

Apparently there have been lawsuits against Google in the states already.

Do you want people to be able to "drive" down your road on the internet?

Megane Mk4
They'd have to turn round on mine...

It's a cul-de-sac ;)

I wouldn't have a problem with it, just don't expect me to open the virtual door and let them in for virtual pots of tea, but I can see it posing a lot of problems, even more so if car thieves are using it for routes or just to nosey about the local areas at street level.

They'd have to turn round on mine...

It's a cul-de-sac ;)

I wouldn't have a problem with it, just don't expect me to open the virtual door and let them in for virtual pots of tea

Cul-de-sacs included! lol

Just don't stand by the window or have your bins out the day they come past.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
one of the cars that is photographing went past me the other day. im going to look for myself when the uk is uploaded.

Cupra
I saw one of the cars drive past my work today.. at least I guess it was. It was a golf driving along with a camera on a pole 5 feet above the roof. Not many other reasons needed for that...

White APE
kinda cool yet kinda wierd this.

What bout pics of palygrounds/parks etc. wouldnt that make it a bit easy for peedo's?

I think the cars that were used to do Australia, had black balls on the roof, which somehow made a 360 degree photo image.

Personally, I think it's a bit ott, but very interesting at the same time.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
i thought that about google earth though, but now find it very handy. i find it easier to plan a route using google earth than a map, because i can see local landmarks to look out for. im hopeless with street names.

Scirocco GT 2.0
Streetview is kl! I can swoop through all the streets where I used to live in Buffalo, NY State :D

My car is sat on my drive 6/7 days, so I'm in with a good chance of it being in the shots lol

How often will it be updated, as houses are constantly being built.

Scirocco GT 2.0
My car is sat on my drive 6/7 days, so I'm in with a good chance of it being in the shots lol

How often will it be updated, as houses are constantly being built.

If it is updated in the same timeframe as Google Earth then probably every 3-5 Years.

Or it might be the case that new estates/big developments are added as and when they are built

DCi
what exactly is the point of street view?

maps i get - they help people find their way about, but why would i want to see what is on a street apart from the 'hey thats cool...' factor?

Not trying to be negative, I just cant understand what the value of it is past an amusing gimmick

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

maps i get - they help people find their way about, but why would i want to see what is on a street apart from the 'hey thats cool...' factor?

Not trying to be negative, I just cant understand what the value of it is past an amusing gimmick

It's good for people like me who use landmarks to navigate (instead of using street names etc). I'm going to Florida this year, and I'm staying in a part I have never been to before. I have been on street view, and I already know what the area looks like.

Static Low
aww yeahh i seen an astra with a huge pole on the roof and what looked like a cam on it ! I was wondering what the fcuk it was

Scirocco GT 2.0

My parents found it useful this week.

They are off to Barcelona on Friday and used Streetview to find their Hotel, look at the areas around the hotel to see what it's like, what's local, How far it is to the nearest bus stop, shop, attractions.

It has lots of uses imo

aww yeahh i seen an astra with a huge pole on the roof and what looked like a cam on it ! I was wondering what the fcuk it was

:approve:

Octy VRS
Never tried this before but I just found my uncle's old house in north California. It's in complete back and beyond of gold mining country. I haven't been there for over 20 years. That's awesome!

MG ZS180 Mk2
I wonder what poor b*****d had to go through millions of images to remove numberplates and faces.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Saw a google car the other day in my area...

DSC00039.jpg