ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gonna buy a 106gti

Toureg vW Transporte

as topic states, going to buy a 106 gti, wot do you folks think as it is important lol. that is once the 16 valve goes...mmm decisions

Probably going to get attacked here, but who cares.

I reckon Richs 106 GTi looks better than a Valver.. I know its modded, but even without, they aint bad!

yeh go for it m8, from wot ive read theyre good cars.

Bad points are apparently crap pedals and unreliable (just like a valver ;))

Titanium 182

valvers look mint but you get bord

thing is daf that a gti will be no faster, might handle a little better but only as its got light steering

i went to buy one of these after selling my saxo but wasnt 100% with them and there crap dash

im alot happier in the gt iv got now

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Get the 106, they handle really well and go like a rocket get a late model and I think they came with an undocumented 130bhp.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Raced one last night! i was two up and he was on his own. Second there was nothing in it, third and i could have pushed him along (But i know theres plenty that can beat me!)

The way i look at it is, the 16v looks much meaner and therefore nicer in my eyes! Its got luxery seats compared to the ass numbing 106s! and the 106 has the worst gearbox in the world (Peugeot need to sort there gearboxes out on all theyre motors!) and the engine may be quite quick but it makes the girly sound of a 1.6 compared to the valvers 1.8 beef! All that and youll pay the same on tax and probs more on insurance!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

I had for for 18 months, nicest car ive had, didnt want to sell it but had to. They arent super quick but handle like go-karts, and they respond well to a few simple mods.

I had loads of problems with mine though, and Peugeot dealers are probly on a par with Renault!

More feminine looking than a valver gotta be said....

I have to say, Rich-Ds 106 is one of the cleanest cars I have ever seen which is not brand new ! Awesome condition ! The term, mint condition is banded around far too much but that is truly MINT !

I do like the 106s and I think I possibly like them better than the 16v in the looks department but then I do prefer to have a newer car, IMHO of course.

You can pick up some really nice 106 GTis now and we all know how good they handle from the rave reviews they have had since they were launched, it is up to you but I would go for the 106 if I had the choice. Try and get a yellow one ! They look the business, especially with dark wheels on it ! Mmmmmmmmm !

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I really was gutted when I had to sell that 106 :sick:

But, I was buying a new house at the time and I needed to get money together, so I had to sacrifice it at the time...

Was the right thing to do though as cars just lose money, but Ive made enough money on the house so far to buy several 106s now! ;)

i dont drive a Gti, ive got a rallye and i havent had a valver but my Rallye has been pretty dam reliable - the only things that have gone wrong or just tiny little thongs that you would expect due to wear and tear, nothing major at all, it was the same with my 106xsi before that aswell

Toureg vW Transporte

yeah what sort of problems have you had. I am about to move into a house and want something a little newer for a while, as the girlfriend is selling her gsi, and is going to be driving it as well, dont want anything too fast just nice and smart, is it going to be more to insure then the clio?should be better on petrol though???any picts mitsi

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

My 106 GTi was 18 months old when I got it, had it 2 years and although not totally trouble free motoring it was more reliable than my brand new Cup!

Fuel economy wise, superb, even if driving them hard!

Great cars, highly recommended...

Toureg vW Transporte

excellent thanx for all the feedback. im only 22 so dont wanna be paying skyhigh prices for ins on a williams. looking forward to a gti i think

DAI - READ THIS!!

I sold my 16V late last summer and had the cash to buy a "new" car. At the time, I wasnt sure whether to get a special car which I could put up with the bills, or just a newer hot hatch to provide reliable motoring with a bit of panache. The 106 GTi seemed to fit the bill for the latter option, being pretty new, more practical and seeming like better value than a car like the Williams or Delta Integrales I was looking at for the first "special" option.

At the time, there was a lot of talk about the 106 GTi on this forum and it was all very positive. It seemed like a more modern Valver to me - about matched in speed, handling and cost, although lacking on the looks front. In the end, I went cash-in-pocket to view about half a dozen 106 GTis.

The reason I saw so many was because I could not believe that this was the same car Id heard talked about on the forum. The speed and handling were there for sure, but it was definitely happier on mini-roundabouts and the like, rather than being controlled and balanced on A and B-roads like the Valver. Not my cup of tea... the back end was far too keen to come out. Fine, that might light your fire - but IMO the Valver was far more controllable on the limit and hence faster and safer.

The straight line speed was good off the mark, but died very quickly after 2nd gear. Off-cam, the 1.6 had a lot less torque than a Valver. I didnt fully explore the performance, but the Pug was well beaten by my old Valver for overtaking and motorway speeds.

Inside, the first thing that hits you is that the Pug is a smaller car. Again, thats fine if thats what you want, but my 16V with the leather was far more comfortable and accommodating in terms of space and comfort.

Lastly, all of the 106 GTis I saw were pretty flimsy. A Valver may not be the best built car, but the Pugs were a lot more "baggy" (the cars had 20-50k on the clock) and had lots of faults between them like erratic idling, peeling paint, broken engine mounts and generally all the things I was trying to avoid in going for a newer car!!

In the end, I gave up and was pretty disheartened. I really wanted to like the 106 GTi, but it just wasnt for me. I would say that its just me being fussy, but the list of faults is too great simply to be my biased opinions. I decided to go for a Williams after that and go for the "special" option. So far, my Williams has provided very trusty motoring and is even practical as an everyday car when I need it to be.

Dont buy a 106 get a 206. I have just sold my RT and bought a 206 Gti and it is sooo much better than the 106s that i tried. I found the pedals to be akward and it was too small and feminine. The 206 isnt much bigger outside but seems sooo much bigger inside.

Worth considering i would say (imho) and insurance wise, £800 fc and im 20.

My girlfriends VTS has had loads of electrical problems including constant stalling, rev needle sitcking, speedo needle sticking at 50, lights going out etc. She had some of the same problems on her 106.

So has my workmates Saxo at work - its still dead as they dont know whats wrong. This is the second time its happened and hes only had the car for 2 months.

My cousins VTR suffered the Stalling and electrical gremlins too.

Not trying to put you off (the Saxo and 106 are one in the same) but just my experiences.

The girlfriends VTS isnt as fast as my Williams but its not far off - its not as stable handling wise - she takes the Williams whenever she can due to this.It annoyers her so much shes contemplating selling it. The VTS is huge fun - especially at lower speeds as the turn in is so quick where as the Williams is set up for faster speeds and is far less twitchy.

I know the 106 is slightly less twitchy than the VTS - which I would say is a good thing. Its also only group 13 - just check the recipts of any you look at to see if they have tried to have any electrical probs sorted - as my Girlfriends never seem to get correctly fixed!

Erratic idling is not a problem on 106s. They all do that. You soon get used to the small pedals. One thing I couldnt get used to though was the low gearing which made long journeys and motorway driving unbearable.

My Cup is a far more comfortable drive, as is the Valver, I imagine.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Clio_novice on 16 February 2004

Dont buy a 106 get a 206.
Yes... that highly regarded GTi... NOT!!!

The 206 is a poor relation to the other great hot Pugs!

cat

that looks like my bros one hehe love em in yellow and the black ones look the nuts too

anyway back on topic. i almost bought one and i rate em extremely highly, my bro has one its lowered on 15, sealed ind kit and full pug sport de-catd rally exhaust and the thing shifts like no tomorrow.there so quick and fun im suprised you dont see more but i guesss there a little tiny and crampd on the inside and also pedal are cramped but look past this or get used to this and they really are the modern day valver.

handles wickedly and goes like stink. for a groupd 13 car these are seriously quick and look dead smart on 15 and slammed on there arse

if i could not afford the integra i would def get one, nothing else touches it, if i were to choose again i would def choose it over a vlaver and people who know me knew i was a real valver fan but im not sure i would have a gti over a willy there just a tiny bt more special

RB5 & 172

I can recomend a 106gti. as standard it will not impress with performance but it does respond very well to breathing mods. i have a viper and pug sport zorst on mine and when on cam it seems on a par with my old 172. however when its not on cam it can be caught out by almost anything.

as for the ride it is such fun, you can really feel what it is doing but as ben h said the back end is very light and can let go in the wet very easily. however you get notice that this is happening and can prevent it with a smile and a touch of opposite lock. for driving fun it is one of the best things i have driven for pure fun and feedback.

as for the inside mine is an old pre-leather interior so is not the best but thats not why i bought it (besides it might be getting stripped soon, the engine of a gti, the weight of a rallye). as others have said there is very little space around the pedals but you get used to it.

you will have problems no doubt but they are all easly to sort and are usually sensor related. mine has done 90k and is still going strong. the engines do sound very tappy on tickover, even more so when cold but its a trait of the 16v.

my sis has a ecosse show car 106 gti, she says she prefers the pug (in the body shop atm) but for me, the frog does it for me everytime, although i was tempted to buy a pug before i got the frog

Toureg vW Transporte

some interesting stuff there and good and bad feedback, im looking for a newer, relatively cheap replacement for the clio, id keep the clio if i could, but as were going to have only one car, i still want a bit of fun. Jo has also got a little boxer dog puppy and i dont fancy the chances of my mint leather seats holding up to him lol... I dont like the 206 gti very much as rich d said i think rhys also had one and didnt get on with it. when the valver does go i think i will go and have a look at a few.