ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to look at this 197 tomorrow

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice enough.

I wouldn't own another black car tho. Just my oppinion obviously.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  work for BMW
Looks nice for £4.5k and with recaros how ever no mention of service history or belts

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Looks good for the price.

lemonnobby1 isn't quite correct. The hub ball joints can be replaced, although you'll have to go to Renault Sport not your local dealer for the part (dealers will only sell the complete assembly). I believe they are roughly £70 + someone to fit.

Front brakes aren't expensive at all, I run Pagid discs and pads on mine, a full front set up can be had for not much more than £100. If you want Brembo then talk to G 172 off the forum. The rears can be a little more expensive due to the bearings and ABS rings, they'll probably set you back around £200.

The seat can be repaired by Steve @ R-Sport cars for a very good price (£130ish)

Not sure where you stand on the belts. If you have proof of the engine change and the date then fair enough, if not then the belt is overdue.

So, if the belt isn't due then £500(ish) will sort all the listed problems, if the belts want doing then double that figure. So, if belts are ok, bid them £4k and see where you get, if belts want doing then I'd be wanting that for £3,700 to be honest.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Audi A5
Thanks for the input chaps.

I do actually fancy a black car again as its a very rewarding colour when cleaned and I've got a DA now so I look forward to using that on it.

as for the hub fault is this the same as the meganes where the steering wheel doesn't quite return to centre?

as for brakes the front pads have been done along with the pins, but the rear pads and discs have been advised on the mot so ill have to have a look when I get their.

The engine was changed two years ago and 27k miles ago so belts won't need doing for a while.

part service history because he's changed the oil an filter over his time owning it. Not a major issue to me.

I did see that Steve does the seat repair. Unfortunately the drivers seat needs the base and up right bit doing which would be £235 via Steve, ill have to think about that one. I here theirs a trader on 197.net that does the seats, edge automotive is the company name, I can't look in his section as Im not a member on that, what his work like?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chris can you give me a bit more info on the hubs please.

No the hubs get play in them or the ball joint that it uses for turning.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
27   0   0
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Theres a fair whack to spend on that--

Recaro repair £250 all in-

Disks & pads all round £350 at a guess

Service + Belts- £600

Alloy refurb £150 ISH

Hub £100-

probs £1500 to get that MINT.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Audi A5
Chris can you give me a bit more info on the hubs please.

No the hubs get play in them or the ball joint that it uses for turning.

Oh I see, not come across that before. Any tell tail signs or this? Knocking over bumps etc? Don't think ill be able to manually check this on the floor.

Last edited:

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh I see, not come across that before. Any tell tail signs or this? Knocking over bumps etc? Don't think ill be able to manually check this on the floor.

you cant really see without a ramp, but with this advise on mot Nearside front suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint
they have wrote it down wrong i expect

i like it to be fair mate, quite a nice looking 197

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Audi A5
lol maybe or maybe the bottom ball joint has a slight bit of play. as you say i cant really look at it properly without putting it up in the air.

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Audi A5
lemonnobby1 isn't quite correct. The hub ball joints can be replaced, although you'll have to go to Renault Sport not your local dealer for the part (dealers will only sell the complete assembly). I believe they are roughly £70 + someone to fit.

going back to this point, have you got a part number for just the hubs?

excuse my ignorence but, where is 'renault sport'? i would of thought all main dealers would be able to provide parts, granted some parts men cba to find certain parts so say they cant get hold of them but if you provide them with part numbers i would of thought their wouldn't be a problem.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
going back to this point, have you got a part number for just the hubs?

excuse my ignorence but, where is 'renault sport'? i would of thought all main dealers would be able to provide parts, granted some parts men cba to find certain parts so say they cant get hold of them but if you provide them with part numbers i would of thought their wouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately not in this case, it can only be bought directly from RenaultSport. There are threads on clio197.net. I'll dig out the threads and post them here.

Ignore the belt costs, as long as there is proof of the engine change (proper documented proof, not just his 'word') then they don't need doing. No proof, you want £500 off the price.

Also don't get hang up on the little things, wheel refurbs etc. you'd be hard pushed to find a low mileage car with no faults at all for less than £6k.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
ahh i see bet with that part number on 197.net you could get them in any dealer ill ask next week in work.

You can't, honestly! Peole have tried. They will only offer the full hub!

Youre welcome to give it a go though!

Trader Rating - 100%
6   0   0
  Audi A5
So I've had the car a while and I've got round to looking at this hub fault and I can confirm it is play in the lower ball joint on the hub. Obviously I don't want to pay £200 for a hole hub so I'm looking for just the ball joint. (I have the tools and press to remove and fit, no worries)

looking through them to threads Chris put up I found someone said they've bought one for £10 from micksgarage. Now can anyone confirm these are the right ones please?

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1668635&pk=24585

​Cheers Bobby.