ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to look at a 200 this afternoon

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'm off to look at a Clio 200 shortly, is there anything in particular I should look out for.

I understand there's a common gearbox issue. Am I right in thinking it's usually a synchro issue into 3rd? Is a particularly notchy change an indication of future failure, or can they carry on forever like it?
What does a box rebuild cost?

Anything else to look for?

Clio 200t
Gearbox issue is usually in 3rd, usually yes, at higher rpm.

Also the 200 suffers from notchy boxes when cold, more so than the 197, with sometimes having to wait for it to be warm before able to select a gear.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Gearbox as said
Bolster wear
Front hub assembly (steering won't self centre if they've gone)

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Gearbox as said
Bolster wear
Front hub assembly (steering won't self centre if they've gone)

The self centring was more of a Megane issue was it not? I've not really heard anyone complain of that on a 197/200 but plenty have had balljoints go (myself included) mine were just noisy when they went.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
The self centring was more of a Megane issue was it not? I've not really heard anyone complain of that on a 197/200 but plenty have had balljoints go (myself included) mine were just noisy when they went.
Place where I had the meg done said it was an issue, albeit less common. It's the same assembly isn't it?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
So I went and looked at this today;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510218027818?sort=default&page=1&model=clio&engine-size-cars=2l_to_2-5l&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&make=renault&search-target=usedcars&radius=50&postcode=po305aa&maximum-age=up_to_6_years_old&logcode=p

It seems very clean other than a couple of little scratches and steering wheel needs re-trimming. Drives nice, Akrapovic exhaust sounds nice but perhaps a little loud.

I can't believe how hard the cup packed 200 is!

Needs cambelt doing. Which left me walking away to go look at this one that's had it's cambelt done;

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510218026359?maximum-age=up_to_6_years_old&sort=default&model=clio&radius=50&make=renault&search-target=usedcars&page=1&engine-size-cars=2l_to_2-5l&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&postcode=po305aa&logcode=p

Except it has budget tyres all round, tints, some dodgy switch drilled into the dashboard and parking sensors that look like they've been painted by a three year old. I reckon by the time I got that one up to scratch, I could have got the cambelt done on the previous one.

Any thoughts on either car and their price? Car is for my other half, not me.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Or sell the akrapovic if it gets on your tits to fund the Cambelt?

Get £600 for it no problem

Also, the back one has a comedy plate

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Or sell the akrapovic if it gets on your tits to fund the Cambelt?

Get £600 for it no problem

Not so much interest in funding the Cambelt, but that's certainly of interest if it makes the car cheaper. Is £600 achievable in exchange for a standard one?

Top of the checklist should be Recaros, IMO.

We're actually trying to avoid the Recaros - they seem to wear badly and I had them in my Corsa VXR years ago, I recall them not being very comfortable!

Seems like you're knocking on £8000 before Recaros start appearing, and we've already raised the budget from looking at 197s :D

Mine aren't too shabby at all for 7 years old an 60 odd thousand. There was a passenger side bolster repair done by an upholsterer due to a tear, but it's hardly noticeble that it's been done so if/when the drivers side eventually goes I know it's only an £80 fix.

I just personally detest the 'standard' seats and as the interior is otherwise not exactly a lovely place to be, it smartens it up a bit.

On a similar note, I usually hate 'mods' but remarkably I quite like the cup spoilers as the back of mk3s are a funny shape and look bare without them.

Obviously all personal opinion. I'm actually surprised from the links you posted, how the prices have dropped on the 200 from when I looked a year or so ago. Not sure I could spend several grand on a Clio though knowing how they continue to depreciate.

Are there any other cars on her shortlist, as in other brands. £8k must get something a bit smarter?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Are there any other cars on her shortlist, as in other brands. £8k must get something a bit smarter?

I don't know, really.
My condition of boosting her budget was that it'd be a car I could use (read: want to use) over the harshest periods of the winter, so I can leave the M3 parked up.
I can't think of much else that appeals as much as the Clio, and ironically, the Clio 200 is one of the cheapest cars she's had quotes on - it sits in between the 1.2 and 1.4 variants of Fiat 500!

I think the ability to sell the Akrapovic helps with the depreciation a bit - I think she'll only keep it a year.

Z4, S2000. Couple of cars that come to my mind that I wouldn't mind trying for that money (although I can't fit comfortably in an S2000 FML) Any particular brief that needs fulfilling, like boot space or ability to carry passengers?

Whilst thinking of cars a girl may find acceptable, a Fiat 500 Abarth came to mind. I must be on the turn as I quite like the look of them.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Z4, S2000. Couple of cars that come to my mind that I wouldn't mind trying for that money (although I can't fit comfortably in an S2000 FML) Any particular brief that needs fulfilling, like boot space or ability to carry passengers?

Whilst thinking of cars a girl may find acceptable, a Fiat 500 Abarth came to mind. I must be on the turn as I quite like the look of them.

Needs at least four seats. 500 Abarth would be lovely, but over budget - they start at around £10k.

Are you trying to talk me (her) out of a Clio? :smile:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Don't listen to the hate, they are a brilliant car, and I miss mine (197 cup with recaros)
Absolute riot if used properly (ie not pottering round town) reasonable build, good spec etc etc

I tried a premium ish car after the Clio (mk5 R32) and hated it. Soon chopped in for a Meg 250. Never looked back (well..... could be tempted at a storm grey 200 :wink:)

You sure will get £600 for the akrapovic, I sold mine for £750 last year. So will easy fetch that on clio 197.net, very much in demand

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Managed to get £100 off, I think I'd have got more if I wasn't asking them to deliver it nearly two hours away.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Seems like a decent price mate, nice one. For me I'd have to have the Recaro's but that's probably because I've got them in my Clio 182!

Enjoy :)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
The crunch is usually 3rd to 4th above 5k.

You should just feel a slight crunch.

There was nothing obvious on the test drive. Got the car today and I guess at 7k RPM it's a bit notchy, but no crunch. Anything to worry about?