ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to de swirl my RS another 'recommend me' thread…

Focus RS + S3
Hi guys,
since buying the RS the paint work has constantly bugged me and with the good weather lately its looking really sorry for itself,

the paintwork is heavily swirled and i want to correct it as much as i can,

my mate has loaned me his rotary, and it has a backplate for 6" pads,

ive had a read through the stickies and i can gather i need a few types of pads and a few different polishes to find a combo to get the level of correction im looking for.

Ive had a quick look around clean your car site and noticed most pads are 5.5" so im already confused lol

can someone be so kind to recommend some pads and polishes? I see a lot of you guys use menzernw (sp) and stuff like that lol

plan is to clean it properly, clay it etc and get this paint sorted :)

cheers guys :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Have you used a rotary before? If not get a scrap panel and learn to use it properly before taking it on your car.

you can get 3.5, 5, and 6" backing plates, with pads to match. 5" backing plate is typically used for 5.5 and 6" pads.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
It's not a great idea to attempt this with no experiance. However..You won't learn without practice and I would rather you have the better tools for the job. And your probably going to do it anyway! ;)
Also I would recommend a paint thickness gauge

Buy a soft backed 5" pad for the below pads.

Two options

1) Safer option
Scholl s17-(best poish available-can be used to finish, polish and compound using different pads. Use yellow pad.)
Yellow 3m pad
Blue 3m pad
Blue tape
Prima amigo or chemical guys ez Creme glaze-filling glaze to finish using blue pad to fill and hide remaining swirls (if any)
Finally a wax/sealant of your choice

2) full correction not so safe
Scholl 250ml polish trio- s3 gold to compound, s17 to polish and s40 to refine
Scholl sandwich spider pad and lake country wool to compound
3m yellow and lake counrty tangerine hydro tech pads to polish
3m blue pad to refine
Blue 3m tape

Remember to stay away from edges, tape up trim that can be stained from polish or damaged if the pad catches it. Painted Plastic has softer paint, damages easier and burns easier.
Prepare the car properly I.e fully decon of tar, clay and so on. Budget a good couple of days. Rushing leads to disasters. Don't chase perfection, especially without a PTG or experiance! Lastly we don't want to see burn throughs, and a crying Hosgins Lol
Good luck and post your pics up!
Chris

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Great advice Chris, I loved s17 when I tried it out on rotary. I can only echo the above when chasing for perfection, sometimes it's best to fully decontaminate and then use a glaze on the machine at low speeds to get use to using it and then step it up in stages as you learn. Be warned though you will get hooked and it will cost a fortune!

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Great advice Chris, I loved s17 when I tried it out on rotary. I can only echo the above when chasing for perfection, sometimes it's best to fully decontaminate and then use a glaze on the machine at low speeds to get use to using it and then step it up in stages as you learn. Be warned though you will get hooked and it will cost a fortune!

​All true!

Focus RS + S3
Hi guys, thanks for the advice, ive always been into clean cars, but i just want to step it up, i havent had no proper rotary 'experience' as such, ive given my van a going over with a rotary and ive got another clio which ill probably have a toy with first to get used to running the polisher over the paint

few lil pics of what im up against, photobucket has killed quality

3814C1D9-F732-4924-8EBE-7E9835EE661F-5450-000000ED57D7514F.jpg

C2F5D3F3-1E14-4305-AD59-E9F79B96309E-5450-000000ED6330E210.jpg

03438A62-ED58-4997-8015-C68E31144FE9-5450-000000ED7291D44A.jpg

as you can see theyre quite annoying lol

​i best get a list going then, clean your car the best site or any alternatives?

i wont be rushing lol, its a second car so will be as long as it takes, and a 5" pad will fot my mates 6" backing plate? Just with a bit of a overhang? Lol

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I find shinearama best for variety and customer service but you can't nock polished bliss for the free delivery

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Do not use a combo where the backing plate overhangs the pad.

​Other shops look at polished bliss or i4detailing.

Focus RS + S3
Well thanks to all of the advice

this lot came today
EE9BC5C2-6B2A-4DD6-99E0-0062DFEFC786-13406-000002664F7B890C.jpg

can see how an expensive hobby this could develop
into, it doenst loom much for the money lol

looks like im going to be im the garage most of today

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Dude as you've only got one of each pad you need to regularly wash them out. (Especially with s17) fairy liquid and warm water. Pat dry then spin it up on the machine to dry!
good luck

chris