ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

go back to my roots?

172 Cup
Hi guys, got a question to ask!

Basically I used to have a 182 about 5 years ago, iv had coopers JCW since then and a currently have a BMW 123d, anyway just been made redundant and need to sell my car! Anyway im looking to spend around 3-4k and I have been thinking of everything, from practical focus tdci and astra tdci or maybe an older audi, golf etc, then a lightbulb flicked on and I thought a 172 cup. My ony reservation is I dont want to get one that has been tracked to the end of the world and I also wanted to get something fairly economical and I know from my 182 that economical it is not. My GF is going to need the car to commute 2 days a week around a 150 return trip, but she does drive like a granny so im thinking it may not be to bad. When i had my 182 i got just over 300 niles per tank and I did drive fairly quickly. What do you guys think? do you think i should just go for it? Or can you think of anything else to get?

Nissan 350z
Whats wrong with being tracked other than brake and tyre wear? Id have personally thought someone tracking their Clio would have spent more money maintaining it to a higher standard for track use than someone who only used it for town driving surely? As for 3-4k id say you should be able to pickup a good condition 172 for that easily. The question is do you want the slight performance increase of the Cup or do you want the luxuries of the normal 172 such as Climate Control, ABS, Leather etc.

I suppose i cannot comment really as i personally try to avoid cars with 6x9s cut into the parcel shelf when looking as this is normally an insight into the mentality of the previous owner :p

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Gota say a cup will never be econimcal but you have to trade some petrol to have a car you're happy with.

172 Cup
to be honest as i said I had the 182 FF with all the luxuries, but my thinking is for the cheap cost, just get the cup and have a real drivers car for a while if you see my point? I just want one with belts done and that wont have to many problems! and yes diesel cars are boring the sh*t outta me!

172 Cup
the other reason i want one is the whole time i had my 182, people said the 172 cup is a complete different experience. I just want to have a drivers car for a few months!

Iceberg 172
I doubt you'll notice a difference between the cup and a normal 172 until the summer when you'll be sweating buckets in the cup with no ac!

I thought the cup was exteremly economical!

172 Cup
so does anyone else not think there is a difference between the cup and normal 172, as a few years ago everyone said they were a different ride all together!