ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gloss Black Everything...

Iceberg 172
Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this to a 1*2 and has some pics?

I'd like to spray everything Gloss Black ie...

- RS Grills
- Bumper Grill
- Fog Light Surrounds
- Diamond Front / Rear
- Wing Mirror Bases
- Rear Bumper Strip
- Scuttle Panel

Is there anyway of really preserving the finish though so it won't just flake / chip off?

I take it that paying a bodyshop to do this would be the best bet?

white 172
i have done all of the above on my clio not got a decent pic though but it wont chip or flake if done properly

AUDI A5 s-sline
Should be ok to do it ureself mate with spray cans. You can get a good finish if you take tour time and keep wet sanding it. :).

200 Gordini
I have a few pictures of my old 182 with satin black grilles, fog surrounds and bumper insert if they'd help at all :S

Fabia VRS Special Ed
If you're doing the grills, scuttle panel and fog surrounds be prepared for them to flake.

Iceberg 172
i did it with a meg, but no not with a clio.. seen it though looks good bar the badges which just get lost

What do you mean the diamonds?

The other option was to spray the diamond Iceberg Silver.

Gloss will look crap IMO.

Satin would look 100% better.

I was always going to go down the satin route but... All the newer cars are going gloss, as does the TT QS and I think it looks great on them, I am still in 2 minds whether it will suit the 172 though.

If you're doing the grills, scuttle panel and fog surrounds be prepared for them to flake.

From stone chips???

I guess this will happen whether I go gloss or satin though???

I have a few pictures of my old 182 with satin black grilles, fog surrounds and bumper insert if they'd help at all :S

Please mate!

I also want to spray the splitter.

I guess I was thinking gloss also because most carbon fibre finishes are glossy and I think it looks great but you can't get everything I want in CF and if you could it'd probably cost the same as the car does for a relatively pointless mod!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Black Gold Trophy
Did my upper grille gloss black and never looked back, they look such a horrible bluey colour as standard and painting it really brings the car up to date.
Definitely pay bodyshop to do the grille unless you have spray guns and air compressor (like me :) ) and the best way to prevent it flaking off is to ensure parts are fully degreased and primer. So many bodyshops dont primer these days (lazyness) and paint just flakes off even if the surface is nicely keyed.

4077552225_420b7e4f07_b.jpg

that painted grille looks really good, suits it well, agree that the standardx renault plastics look cheap and tacky