ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Give me back my willy !!!

Well what can I say......Now I own a 172. All seemed ok, not half as much fun as the Williams and no where near the handling of it, but small sacrifices to make for the likes of aircon, abs, airbags, etc etc. Yeah right, in all the time I owned the Williams, 4 years, nothing to talk about went wrong. This bloody 172, well it decides to not start intermittently. It gets worse and worse, so bad that it has to go in the repair shop. Ran a diagnostic check showing nothing. Now I have to wait, carless for a week for the guy from Sun Diagnostics to get to the garage, to find out whats going wrong. Methinks it may well be up for sale when I get it returned.

My superchipped, decatted, bbt exhausted, Piper-xd, lowered Williams 2 was far more fun, turned more heads blah blah........ I want it back. It NEVER let me down, handled far better, was faster blah blah. All I have to do is convince my girlfriend now, who hated the Williams because I used to drive it how it was designed to be driven, or get rid of the 172 and Girlfriend in one fail swoop.

Decisions decisions :D

Regards,

Bill.

[Edited by ReNWiLL on 16 July 2005 at 8:25am]

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

I couldnt decide whether to get a willy or a 172, but decided to get a williams (3)....to save money really, but as time goes on i am more and more happy about the decision to get one. get a williams you knows it makes sense.....BTW there a a few willys for sale at the mo.....some good uns to. Kendo is selling his 3.......MINT.

xr4x4

if i had the choice i would choose a williams over a 172, stuff the aircon! williams is a future classic (lol mebbe even my valver will be in a few yrs)

hehe

I definitely enjoyed my Williams (and 16V) more than I enjoy my 172.

Perhaps its because I had a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo in between, which gave me a bit of perspective? Perhaps Ive grown out of Clios for the time being? I dont know.

To be fair, I really cant see how my Willy handled any better than my 172 - and the 172 has the same turn of speed, but with added creature comforts. But it doesnt connect to the soul in the same way as my Williams did.

Ive provisionally sold my 172 - in exchange (plus cash) for another Fiat Coup 20VT. Call it an unfinished love affair, tainted by big bills and hassle...

...but at least it is a love affair. Never thought Id be so harsh on a Clio, but were going separate directions, my 172 and I.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 16 July 2005
To be fair, I really cant see how my Willy handled any better than my 172 - and the 172 has the same turn of speed, but with added creature comforts. But it doesnt connect to the soul in the same way as my Williams did.

Got to agree with Ben there. Fast as the 172 is, it doesnt seem to give the driver the same telepathic connection with the road that the Williams does. I still miss mine.

However, when it came to buying a new car, I seriously considered getting another Williams, but its so hard to find a good one nowadays and I really wanted climate control etc, so I got another 172. The Williams is still the best car I ever owned though.

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 16 July 2005

To be fair, I really cant see how my Willy handled any better than my 172 - and the 172 has the same turn of speed
Maybe I was spoiled with the Lowering and mods done to my Willy. Dont get me wrong, the 172 as a whole is a good car, Just not as good as MY ex Willy. Got to agree with Rhys, Nowadays its damn hard to find a good low milage one and Williams was the best car I ever owned.

Regards,

Bill.

[Edited by ReNWiLL on 16 July 2005 at 10:24am]

[Edited by ReNWiLL on 16 July 2005 at 10:26am]

Immoboliser ring or tdc sensor for the intermitant start problem, and as standard the handling just doesnt have the feedback, Eibach Pros made a big difference in the feedback and handling of the car when I fitted mine.

TDI tyre shreader

I really miss my old 205 rallye, now that thing handled like it was on rails and the driving position was in a different world, didnt quite have the same kick with only 90bhp tho!!

thing with the willys - finding a genuine non painted/repaired one with reasonable miles and low no of owners is hard - the mint ones have all had paint or the original ones 9 times out of 10 have rust somewhere.

Iand the ones that arent all of the above, the owners know this and want a fortune for them

they do, even now look the absolute bollox though!

Quote: Originally posted by leeds_182 on 16 July 2005
Willys schmillys.Rusty old battered cars - wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.

Probably cos you couldnt keep up with one ;)

I dont understand how come so many of you have problems with your 172s

my dad has one (a 52reg) the only thing that has ever gone wrong was the sat nav, but its all sorted now.
(finds a bit of wood to touch, now ive said that)

Willys schmillys.

Rusty old battered cars - wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.
bout the same length youd lose over a 1/4 mile, so id say your prolly right :p

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

PMSL@ Jesus! I miss my williams....but having a stupidly quick hybrid with willy track & coilovers helps take the edge off ...:devilish:

Got it back last sunday, the mechy cleaned up the tdc sensor as it was mucky. All went fine, took it for a run to Greenwich alls well. Went on a few jaunts...alls well. Thursday my Girlfriend took it to lakeside, got a call..car wont start !!!! grrrrrrrrr !!!.

Back in the garage today...no car for the weekend :(.

Just glad of the honda motorbike I have, at least something is relaible !.

Bill.

Polo GTi

My Mrs.Rusty old battered unit - wouldnt touch one with a barge pole.

:eek:

Quote: Originally posted by ReNWiLL on 16 July 2005

Well what can I say......Now I own a 172. All seemed ok, not half as much fun as the Williams and no where near the handling of it, but small sacrifices to make for the likes of aircon, abs, airbags, etc etc. Yeah right, in all the time I owned the Williams, 4 years, nothing to talk about went wrong. This bloody 172, well it decides to not start intermittently. It gets worse and worse, so bad that it has to go in the repair shop. Ran a diagnostic check showing nothing. Now I have to wait, carless for a week for the guy from Sun Diagnostics to get to the garage, to find out whats going wrong. Methinks it may well be up for sale when I get it returned.

My superchipped, decatted, bbt exhausted, Piper-xd, lowered Williams 2 was far more fun, turned more heads blah blah........ I want it back. It NEVER let me down, handled far better, was faster blah blah. All I have to do is convince my girlfriend now, who hated the Williams because I used to drive it how it was designed to be driven, or get rid of the 172 and Girlfriend in one fail swoop.

Decisions decisions :D

Regards,

Bill.

[Edited by ReNWiLL on 16 July 2005 at 8:25am]

You should never sell a car you love so much??

I had my 5 GTT for over 10 years, and would maybe still have it now if some tw*t had not stolen it and wrote it off.

Simon