ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting way ahead of myself but... advice on process?

For those in the know...

I am getting a G220 for Christmas and just starting to take this detailing thing a bit more seriously. I won't list the array of products I now have but I intend to deal with three cars over the Christmas period.

The first will be a dark coloured car with "new" paint, the car itself is an Audi A4 Avant, is 6 months old and has done under 5,000 miles. I intend to:

wash and dry - gold class
machine polish on sfx 2 with one coat of menz final finish (unless there really are no swirls at all and then I'll go straight to srp)
machine polish with one coat of srp
apply egp by hand, two layers, the first being left on overnight in a heated garage
apply two layers of megs #16 as it's winter

The second, if I get chance is on a silver 997. I had a go at this a while ago pre-polisher but know that it's now done 30k miles and will inevitably have swirls.

wash and dry - gold class
machine polish on sfx 1 with one coat menz int
machine polish on sfx 2 with one coat menz final finish
machine polish one coat srp
egp by hand, two layers, first one left on overnight, heated garage
apply two layers of megs #16 (dying to try p21s on this but it won't last until I'm next doing it)

My questions really are whether the above process looks reasonable, whether it's necessary to apply srp after final finish and whether egp is fine if applied and left overnight and removed the next morning by hand?

106 GTi
Process looks fine - I would do the SRP after the Menzerna as it will ensure the surface is spot on for the EGP to bond.

Even on minor swirls on hard Audi Clearcoat you may need IP and a Cutting pad !

I'll look into it. I've made sure that my dad only cleans the car sympathetically and with the right equipment so hopefully it'll not be bad at all, but I take your point.

Hopefully if I use sfx1 and menz int, I won't murder my mum's paint! But thanks, if Audi paint is hard, perhaps I'll have to.

Shed.
ive banned my family from washing their cars. stupid dad uses a sponge which weve had for years !!! and ive poured the shitty car products down the drain so they arent tempted to use them.

Just had a thought, I still have a nearly full bottle of Klasse AIO, as this is a chemical cleaner and sealant, it's probably not worth using instead of EGP is it?

106 GTi
You could use the AIO before the EGP if you like - it is not a replacement for as Klasse have there own sealant to take the place of the EGP.

Lol, but then I'm in overkill city and end up with (on the audi at least) menz final finish, srp, aio, egp....

Sounds like I should just keep that to remove the remainder of old wax when rewaxing a car that doesn't need repolishing.

106 GTi
lol - nutter! No point at all in doing SRP and AIO unless you like extra effort and wasting product.

TeZ

Non RS : (
I hate effort.. lol

Wash - sponge
Dry-Dry sponge
Then butter wet wex ,

Lustys ultimate shine.

lol - nutter! No point at all in doing SRP and AIO unless you like extra effort and wasting product.

That's what I mean. I was agreeing that your suggestion of using AIO before EGP would mean overkill.

I'm best off keeping AIO to remove old wax in future (as it's a cleanser) and sticking to final finish, srp, egp, #16?

Ah right, will AIO be better bet than SRP (after final finish and before egp) or is it much of a muchness, considering I'll be using the g220?

106 GTi
I have always prefered the finish the SRP gives looks wise, though the AIO seems to leave a more sqeaky clean feel to it.

By machine I prefer the SRP.