ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting sharper images

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I have been trying to get to grips better with my camera over the past few weeks and I have noticing that a lot of my images aren't particularly sharp.

Here are 2 examples

IMG_9987-2.jpg

IMG_0007-2.jpg

These were taken with a Canon 500d with the kit lens and on a tripod so I think the equipment is up to the job.
Settings for both of those pictures are F5.6, ISO200 and a 10sec, is my aperture setting too low for this type of picture? What else can I do?

Swift Sport
Assume he means 10 second shutter on a tripod.

Agreed that using something like an f8 aperture should sort it, but also... Are you using a cable or remote shutter, or pressing the button on the body of the camera?

Also just a thought does your lens have image stabilization? Do you turn it off when you use your tripod? I'm being honest I'm not too clued up with the canon system but I know with Nikon this should be turned off when your using a tripod.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Image stabilisation off.
Try turning on mirror lock to reduce any more movement (although it won't make much of a difference)

How sturdy is your tripod? If it's a £10 special then it will be useless in anything more than a fart of wind.

Shoot f8+ and I'd look through live view and manual focus (zoom in on the LCD screen to see more detail)

Cupra, Fiesta ST2
I think on those shots I used manual focus. The tripod I am using isn't an expensive one but it seems sturdy enough. I haven't got a remote release so have been using the 2sec timer so pressing the button doesn't introduce any vibrations. I think IS maybe on (never changed it) so I will give that a go along with the aperture changes.

Try focusing using the screen (rather than the OVF - takes longer, but more accurate for tripod/non moving shots). Switch off IS/OS.

Back in 2010 I used the 500d with kit lens for ~18months, and the images were fine. Are your daytime/better light shots better?

5353372772_236068cfca_b.jpg

5352748075_9c25cff0f9_b.jpg

8378415198_a4332c4524_b.jpg