ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting Internet to the PC....

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't sure if to put this in here or the Internet section.

Basically the PC was moved into a room with no phone socket so has been rendered useless as it cannot go on the Internet, I heard about some special socket things that have a phone line port on them or something which pick up on the Wi-Fi and then I can connect it to the pc?

Exist or am I making things up?

Where to buy from if they exist?

Thanks
Andy.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Might be silly question, but why have you not just got a wireless router and a wireless card in the pc?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm literally the most useless person with tech is the main reason I haven't done what has been suggested.

So they do exist..... The pc will be rarely used as its old and slow so don't want to spend too much as Dad has a Netbook, I have a laptop, iPad and iPhone.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Slap one in the socket and cable from that to the pc and I'm up and running?

Cheers for the links and recommendations.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
if you alread have a ipad iphone etc don't you already have wireless?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Slap one in the socket and cable from that to the pc and I'm up and running?

Cheers for the links and recommendations.

Not quite.

One adaptor goes router side, plug it into the wall and then plug the router into the adaptor.

Other adaptor goes PC end. Ethernet cable between PC and wall adaptor, done!

:)

Or, as Rollo is saying, cheap wireless card would do the trick also.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I have a bt homehub but that's in my room and I'm pretty sure the pc has no wifi as I've I say it's an old Dell PC

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If you already have wireless surely a cheap wireless card is by far cheapest and easiest option.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Not quite.

One adaptor goes router side, plug it into the wall and then plug the router into the adaptor.

Other adaptor goes PC end. Ethernet cable between PC and wall adaptor, done!

:)

Or, as Rollo is saying, cheap wireless card would do the trick also.

Cheers.... Something a technophobe can manage?

Link me to what I need please :)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yeah, assuming you can get wifi in the room the pcs in, if iphone works you'll be fine.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's not far away I just can't be bothered putting holes in the ceiling and running cables to it.

I'll get one of those ordered and see if it works.... Thanks guys.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Wifi is horrible unless you're on a laptop and moving around.

Powerline adapters are the answer.

What makes you say that?

I'm obviously not challenging it..... Will the power adapters give a more solid/faster connection?

We only get between 8-12mbps so don't really want it being any slower.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol running cables to it etc, get with the times :rasp:

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I use TP-Link adapters as I live in a totally brick house and the bedroom has zero signal. Really easy to install, once you've plugged them in they're working permanently. Cost me about £25/30

Clio 172
Question, don't the power line adapters require to be on the same ring main? Or am I behind in the times!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I thought they needed to be on the same circuit as well, as that's how the link is created.

Clio 172
I did some research.

Some units do work through different ringmains, but you get a significant hit in performance (once iv seen tested anyway) as it goes through the consumer unit. Don't think you can hit gigabit through separate rings.

Obviously though, the rings have to be on the same board.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Its an old pc, precisely why you wouldn't want to use up resources installing wifi making the computer even slower.