ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting beyond a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Yozza'd Titanium 182
1. New cambelt
2. Rear bearing
3. Had to get a new key
4. Flashing lights on dashboard
5. Drive shaft pulled out of gearbox
6. car keeps cutting out

and now......

Passenger side front brake pad looks/sounds like inside pad has worn so thin its gone to metal and ruined disk.

Ive spent 4400 on the car 900 on insurace 120 tax around 350 on 172 body kit and about 400 on the above... god knows what on petrol

Total price 6170

Im totally down about this situation so for once please no jokes i just want to now what you would honestly do if you were me.

Thanks

M2 Competition
I had the same thing, part exed mine for a smart!

Some cars are just like that, friday cars and will cost a bomb to run, while another will be good as gold.

ive had 4 crashes, all non fault, only two were covered by others insurance, other two had to pay to fix myself as the people drove off, round about 300-400 quid a time, then spent a grand, yes a grand, because i got f*cked around with spraying myself and dodgy rear 172 bumpers, all the petrol going to leeds and back, sprayed the wrong color 5 times, then had to pay to get it all re-done properly, 990 quid it came to........then smashed up a wheel somehow, 120 to repair it, and fuel to go to wrexham and back.......i could go on and on, im sure i have the more jynxed car, theres nothing you can do, mine goes on and on :(

Yozza'd Titanium 182
makes mine sound good.... but seriously im considering getting rid i mean whats gonna go wrong next month?

i nearly have on a few occasions.........then thought nah whats the point after all the work, then nothing happened for a few months, then the wheel happened, meh!...............either sit it out or sell

Clio's
Dont buy a car thats been in an accident. and take more time to look for a decent car rather that just getting one cos its there

Get rid before it gets worse IMO, Seems like a bad luck car.

Brought mine and have only had to have a ball joint in 7 months. Hope it stays low maintanace.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
right, i have sorted the pads and disks did it tonight. car (at the mo) is in perfect working order except the flickering on the dash board which im SURE is a loose wiring connexion.

for my time money and effor and ive got all my bodykit nearly im going to soldier on and keep positive...

Golf TDI
sounds like my car when i got it last august . had lots of troubles , headgasket , coil pack etc i thought id brought a right s**t car lol then after spending a bit on it . i havnt had a problem since . just stick it out mate . will come good in the end .

Gem

Racing Blue 182
I'd just accept it as part and parcel of owning a car, especially a Renault that isnt brand new.

Things go wrong.

You fix them.

Something else comes along.

Currently I have the following problems:
*New break pads needed
*Refurb of passenger front wheel
*Whirring sound (possibly climate control) inside the cabin
*Exhaust needs fixing
And you can guaruntee I fix them...and something else will come along. It's a car....;)

If you don't want the hassle then sell the car and get a brand spanking new one every 12 months on finance. Not a solution I'd be keen on but you don't seem to want the hassle of fixing little problems.

Not the answer you wanted I'm sure...but at least it's frank.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i had my 106 8 days, on the way home the exhaust fell off, a lorry nearly reversed over me with me still in the car, the cig lighter didnt work, didt feel like i was ment to have that car, so got rid a week later, made a loss of £200 but i was glad it was gone

Civic Type-S GT
personally i think you should buy my car lol. Fully colour coded (apart from door handles, never got round to it lol), RS replica side skirts 2004 54 on 39K :) £4300

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Or hair dye, whichever makes you feel better as a person....

do you not have anything better to do? seriously mate was funny like 1st and possibly 2nd time but when people arnt even reacting to what your saying its time to move on.

looks abit sad...
so you either stop or u don't
but hey just like u said...

"whichever makes you feel a better person" :rasp:

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
keep at it mate, my car cost a bomb and i've had to drill my wheel nuts out, re thread a hub, both windows broke, new belts, exhaust fell off, and a new key! my oil light flickered too, new sensor and wiring, easy peasy. if you love the car anyway, replace what breaks with the best u can buy and keep working toward your vision. :D

Yozza'd Titanium 182
keep at it mate, my car cost a bomb and i've had to drill my wheel nuts out, re thread a hub, both windows broke, new belts, exhaust fell off, and a new key! my oil light flickered too, new sensor and wiring, easy peasy. if you love the car anyway, replace what breaks with the best u can buy and keep working toward your vision. :D

why can't all people on here b like u,
cheers mate

Qashcow
whys everyone jumping to it and saying sell the thing? cars are machines and therefore will go wrong at some in there lives. my clio has (touch wood) been the most reliable car ive ever owned. even after trackdays and endless b-road ragging nothing, and i mean nothing has broken on it.

1. New cambelt Maintenance
2. Rear bearing Maintenance
3. Had to get a new key Maintenance/missing
4. Flashing lights on dashboard Fault admitadly
5. Drive shaft pulled out of gearbox is the car lowered?
6. car keeps cutting out Get it looked at, may not be anything serious at all

and now......

Passenger side front brake pad looks/sounds like inside pad has worn so thin its gone to metal and ruined disk. Maintenance (avoidable too)

tbh bud, if thats all thats gone wrong then keep the little thing. insurance is fairly cheap, petrol wont be too bad and only going to get worse.

my last car, i purchased for £9000, spent nearly £5000 on 2 engine builds, christ knows how much on £90 a tank 14mpg fuel, £2250 on insurance then sold it broken again for £3900...... and i'll still own another one oneday lol.

keep it mate, theres one hell of alot worse cars and expenses out there:)

Last edited:
  Yozza'd Titanium 182
thanks for the insperation, the car is spot on and i mean spot on atm...

with the exception of the flickering lights and the fact the it cuts out 1 in every 30 times i start it.

think i need a new thread

Yozza'd Titanium 182
as in ''incase new problems occur''

well im happy now, but i think i may have the answer to the flickering lights now!! :)

Clio 172
Haven't read the post in detail so sorry if I'm off track or repeating a post, but I had a Clio valver 10 years ago now (I feel old) cost me a fortune, constantly broke down, got the circlip down to a 20 min job. Absolute loved it though. Finally had enough, sold it a mate saying it needs a gear box, he changed the box turbo'd it and didn't have one single problem with it. So I had all the cost, if had just put a diesel box on like he did that would of been it.

If you've spent that much on it you need to keep it, otherwise it's a load of money down the pan. The new owner probably wouldn't have any problems either

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Hi James,

can you share the solution?
Min is doing the same ;-(

Fella. This thread was originally posted in 2008. I'm sure I bought my Cup Spoiler from him. I think the problem now with the Mark 2 RS Clios is that they are getting on a bit now so you have to expect some niggles.

Titanium 182
Hi James,

can you share the solution?
Min is doing the same ;-(
Which light is flickering? (holy thread revival batman). If it's your fog light then it's a really simple fix. Simply remove rear lights and clean up the connections, you'll find they are probably a little gunked up! Takes about 15 minutes is all and you shouldn't get any more flickering fog lights.

Check out my 182 project thread for some pics if you need to

Clio Dci 80hp
Which light is flickering? (holy thread revival batman). If it's your fog light then it's a really simple fix. Simply remove rear lights and clean up the connections, you'll find they are probably a little gunked up! Takes about 15 minutes is all and you shouldn't get any more flickering fog lights.

Check out my 182 project thread for some pics if you need to
No, is the front lights and the dashboard

Status
Not open for further replies.