ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting amp power cable through bulkhead

Clio 182
All, I have followed the guide that is documented in the guide here

However instead of using a washing line I am trying to use a coat hanger and to be honest with very little success partly because the strut brace is preventing me from completly removing the power steering bottle and the gromit seems as tight as a nuns whatumacallit. Can someone please give me an idea of how far down in the engine bay it is?

Its possibly not as tight as I think and may just be the heat shielding stopping the hanger so I may consider cutting the heat dheilding to let get through.

Thanks
Tony

Clio 182
And haven't even tried getting the 10 gauge through yet, struggling to just get a thin hanger through. Argh.. thanks for filling me with confidence.. ;) lol

Ph 1 172
Before I put the cable through the gromit I put a biro pen through it so I can tell exacty where the hole is so I knew where to roughly grab, helped me out a lot to be honest, that and unclipping the coolant bottle and heat shield

Clio 182
Before I put the cable through the gromit I put a biro pen through it so I can tell exacty where the hole is so I knew where to roughly grab, helped me out a lot to be honest, that and unclipping the coolant bottle and heat shield

Biro, i like that idea..

clio 182 'full fat'
i lay down in passenger footwell and poked a screw driver through the gromit, my mate then pushed the cable through the hole where the screw driver was, simples! ;)

clio 182 'full fat'
bloddy hell it aint that hard, ill feed ya wire through the gromit for £20 lol or fit the whole thing for £40. just keep at it, the patience will pay off

Clio 182
bloddy hell it aint that hard, ill feed ya wire through the gromit for £20 lol or fit the whole thing for £40. just keep at it, the patience will pay off

He'll, if you was more local I would take you on that.. lol I swear its doing my head in now

clio 182 'full fat'
took me about 20 mins but once you have the nack i reckon its a 2 min job, how thick roughly is your powercable in mm?

I had to run 2, 5mm cables into the cab through the bonnet release grommet what I did was go inside behind the glove box and using a 3mm round Needle File poke it through into the engine bay and pull it backwards and forwards a few times to enlarge the hole then go into the engine bay note where it came through the grommet.

Then take the needle file out and just push at the hole with the wire and eventually it will slip through the hole its tight and needs alot of pressure but you will get there... wash and repeat for my second wire lol

Clio 182
Is no one else thinking take your strut brace off?? Unless its welded on of course.

Took mine off to get my amp wire through. Took two minutes after that

<noob> That's what I thought, not completly au fais with how to take it off, didn't want to remove to nuts and the suspension colapse on me </noob>

Clio 182
Why can nothing be easy.... argh.. this is only the first part of this project and its taken 2 days longer than I thought it would...

Why can nothing be easy.... argh.. this is only the first part of this project and its taken 2 days longer than I thought it would...

Calm down buddy :). If your brace is self tappered in just unscrew them. If it's bolted in it's a little more difficult. That's if you want to put the brace back in after. You could take it off then put it back in at a later date or sell it

Clio 182
Calm down buddy :). If your brace is self tappered in just unscrew them. If it's bolted in it's a little more difficult. That's if you want to put the brace back in after. You could take it off then put it back in at a later date or sell it

Trying to stay calm, doesn't help how crammed the engine bay is. Just that guide made it sound so easy, doh

Ok, go another route.

Take you the battery. There's two or three bolts holding the ecu in place. Undo them and the ecu will sit to one side. Unclip the two bottles they will sit out the way. Then you'll be able to pull the soundproofing carpet right out. Brace will still be in the way of course but you'll have more room

Clio 182
Thanks, dependant on the available light tomorrow evening when I get how from work I will try what you suggest..

can't help but think the worst is yet to come though measured the width of the cable I got and its more like 9-10mm, may think about getting some thinner cabling......hmmm

Clio 182
IMG-20110705-00105.jpg

God help me lol

Mk3 Clio
Im running 0guage cabling which i think is about 25mm thick for my system so just drilled a new whole in the bulkhead, fitted a slightly smaller rubber grommet so it quite tight and feeded it though. job done :)

FF Clio 182 Silver
do what i done..drill a new 20mm hole in a safe place ( i put mine behide the centre console)

cut a blank rubber gromet and feed your cable threw..doddle.. and no fcuking about!

Clio 182
IMG-20110709-00112.jpg

IMG-20110709-00113.jpg

Well thats that part out the way, just got to feed it into the boot now, is there anything that i particularly need to know about?

and yes i know, it wont get many volt from the strutbrace ;), thats just a temporary measure...

No wheels :(
Run the power cable directly down the edge, the good ol' French have trimmed all the carpets nicely with a plastic cover down the whole side which allows for the power cable to tuck into nicely.

It looks like though that your power cable could be too short?! You sure it's long enough? Would hate/love for you to have to rewire it all :eek: Lol!

Cheers, Sam

Clio 182
Run the power cable directly down the edge, the good ol' French have trimmed all the carpets nicely with a plastic cover down the whole side which allows for the power cable to tuck into nicely.

It looks like though that your power cable could be too short?! You sure it's long enough? Would hate/love for you to have to rewire it all :eek: Lol!

Cheers, Sam

Certain that it is long enough...Checked that way beforehand.. lol

Got the cable upto the rear seat, now, how do I get through to the boot? (any pics to illustrate would be ace) :D

Clio 182

Cheers, Sam

IMG-20110712-00117-1.jpg

Well it's there, RCA's and false floor to go