ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox

Ph2 172
Hi all new to Clio ownership. Well Nov last year.

I have a ph2 172 that i use for sprints and hillclimbs in Scotland. The gearbox is typical high mileage crunchy Renault box. Other than the crunchy syncros the ratios themselves are not the best for the short sharp blasts that i do. This has possibly been asked before but would the box from a lesser engined model have shorter ratios or final drive and also be up to the task of motorsport?

Any info would be appreciated as so far i have come up a blank on what Renault have put inside their various box of cogs.

Regards

Brian

Ph2 172
Sadly have short arms and normal pockets, thus thinking of scrapyard solutions like i did with my ford puma that ran a 1.4 puma box for the shorter diff ratio and i even manged not to break it as well.

Had spotted Bacci romano and spent some time using gear calculators to find the best diff ratio that would work for racing and also not give me 4500rpm @ 70mph a 4.67 diff ratio seems a good option.

Ph2 172
Thanks for the reply North just the info needed. RE: jb3 box. A diff and different final drive is in the long term development of the car when funds allow. May be a torsen type diff rather than a gripper though.
My current box needs changing anyway so a JB3 could be worth a punt especially if they are cheap enough. I do like a bit of scrapyard raiding for my race cars after all :blush:.
Will go google info on the JB3 box.
Also North i take it you do gearbos rebuilds and if so what sort of cost is in fitting a diff and sorting out any worn parts while it is in bits? Just so i have an idea.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks for the reply North just the info needed. RE: jb3 box. A diff and different final drive is in the long term development of the car when funds allow. May be a torsen type diff rather than a gripper though.
My current box needs changing anyway so a JB3 could be worth a punt especially if they are cheap enough. I do like a bit of scrapyard raiding for my race cars after all :blush:.
Will go google info on the JB3 box.
Also North i take it you do gearbos rebuilds and if so what sort of cost is in fitting a diff and sorting out any worn parts while it is in bits? Just so i have an idea.
Yeah I do a lot of rebuilds on the jc5's mate. I'll drop you a pm mate with the details on. I can send you some details of what ratios can be found in which box as well, so this will help you determine which gearbox code you want to be looking out for.