ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox

Clio 182
Hi Guys,

Basically my gearbox is knackered, so wanted abit of advice.

I've seen a few posts on people saying to send it to a company to recondition it, but to be fair I need my car and wouldnt be able to wait for it to come back.

Does anybody know how much these companies charge to recon them?
Is it worth buying one off ebay for about £300?
Or is it worth buying another knackered one off ebay and getting that fixed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

cheers guys

Arctic Blue FF 182
I can't really help much, but everyone including the race guys on here recommend agency transmissions.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You'd need to find a local company in Yell or Google.

I use a man up the road who used to work for Hewlands (and he's still a rep) so knows how to do these but you really should be careful buying a secondhand box as you've got no idea of its actual condition... And diffs aren't cheap!

Mick

Clio 182
Thanks for the reply mate.
How long does it take to get repaired?
also how much am I looking at roughly?

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That's a "how long is a piece of string" question cos it depends on who is doing the work. If you've never changed a box before I'd say it'll take you 3 days; there's a days work in pulling the box off, another day to rebuild it and a final day to replace it.

Cost wise on the box rebuild alone will vary but I'd say £280-350.

Mick

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Clio 182
6-700 quid!! I've got a mechanic who'll be pulling the box off for me, that ain't a days work surely?
also it's not really the piece of string question, just based on ur experience mate is all I wanted.
.cheers for the replies anyway, I'll get on the phone soon

172 ph2
i paid a local bloke £200 to fix 5th gear on my gearbox and cost £200 for the removal of the box and refit

Evo 5 RS
Don't ask for advise if you're going on a bargain hunt, you'll only be posting here again.

If you're local to Kent / London area try Hardy Engineering

Clio 182
Surely when you have things done on your car, you always look for a bargain, unless your shitting pound coins....and no not near there, from mansfield as said

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
The budget is thus

£200 Clutch
£200-£300 Refurb- Agency transmissions- somewhere like that
£200 Labour

Also have to consider gearbox courier on a pallet - to & from the chosen mechanic

the sensible decision is change the clutch because your just paying cost basically...

I wouldnt buy a second hand box- buy cheap buy twice

S