ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox sounds like a race car............Ph1 172

RenaultSport 172
My gearbox has started making a lot of whining noise. There was a bit of whine before but now its really quite loud.
I did fit solid engine & gearbox mounts so I just wanted to confirm if that is the reason why, or is this thing about to blow?

I also have a lot of horrible noise when idling that goes away when dipping the clutch (thrust bearing?)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Input shaft bearing(s) on the way out by the sounds of it. Thrust bearing would make noise when the clutch is pressed.

Does the whine increase with engine speed or road speed?

RenaultSport 172
Yes whine increases with speed but kinda goes away once in the higher gears. It does have plenty of oil as I changed it not so long ago.

Oh dear. Could do without it going but I guess I'll just drive it til it's dead

Car will have to be broken if the gearbox goes :(

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Yes whine increases with speed but kinda goes away once in the higher gears. It does have plenty of oil as I changed it not so long ago.

Oh dear. Could do without it going but I guess I'll just drive it til it's dead

Car will have to be broken if the gearbox goes 😧

Does it sound like this? if so... its fooked. (bearings)

RenaultSport 172
The cost of replacing of repairing the box is just gonna be too much.
Wonder how long it has left. I've just paid out for an mot and got to get a small amount of welding done to get it passed!
I only do 1000 miles a year.

Shame I'll have to break the car but they are worth so little it's just not worth fixing

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Problem there is your relying on the 2nd hand used box being in good working order. If it is then you need to be handy with the spanners to remove an replace it otherwise your looking at £400 or there abouts to have a garage do it, add the cost of the box an it adds up.

depends what value you put on the car i suppose

I also have a lot of horrible noise when idling that goes away when dipping the clutch (thrust bearing?)

If the gearbox was quiet as a mouse, would you have been more inclined to keep the car and do the clutch/bearing?

Because you'd be taking the box of anyway to do that. Just put another box back on it the noisy ones place.

Unless you'd have kept on driving it with a noisy bearing, obviously.

RenaultSport 172
I'll have to get a video to show you guys. I can't even hear a problem in the video about apart from some rattling? Mine doesn't rattle. It's proper loud though.

I just can't dedicate the time to changing the gearbox. I think it's a job too far for me (complete amateur)

The thing is, the rest of the car is a bit of a heap, shoddy paintwork, rusty sills etc. I think it's destined for the scrap yard. Just need to see how long it lasts now. I haven't driven it in 2 months apart from trying to get an MOT so it could be working for ages lol

RenaultSport 172
Give you £50 for the car?
I calculate £2000 if I break it
If the gearbox was quiet as a mouse, would you have been more inclined to keep the car and do the clutch/bearing?

Because you'd be taking the box of anyway to do that. Just put another box back on it the noisy ones place.

Unless you'd have kept on driving it with a noisy bearing, obviously.
There's no way I'd pay for the clutch to be changed. I know it sounds stupid after spending £5k on this car in total but now we have a new baby I'm not getting any time for track days anyway. Plus the car needs lots of attention to be nice again

RenaultSport 172
Ok so I managed to get a video today. Hopefully you can hear what I'm on about?

So what the hell is making this noise?

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
I think yours sounds more like a Syncro problem.

What happens if you coast with the gearbox in neutral? Does it still whine?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
That's most definitely a bearing in the box that's s**t itself mate. Also interested to know what it does when in neutral or coasting though.

It reminds me of my old straight cut gearbox! Lol! That used to sound broken on a daily basis.

RenaultSport 172
So what happens now? Will it last a while longer? Or is total failure on the cards? Will it just be one gear? Seems to be 2nd that makes the most noise

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
If it's a bearing, it won't last long mate. I'd say it likely is to be honest and I've sh*gged many a box on track before.

Familiar sound.

New box time.

Renault Clio 2
Yeap, when I put the red elastomer gearbox mount in my clio 2 ph3 dynamique 1.6 16v make a lot of noise... Try replacing the mount by the original