ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Removal

In the middle of taking my gearbox off, but have been rained and snowed off the last few days!

Have managed to get most of the stuff off, and ready to drop the sun frame now. But got a few questions, where are the 2 bolts/nuts that hold the heat shield over the steering rack? Have found one of them on the drives side where the steering column meets the rack but cant see the other one at all, so thinking it might have been taken off before and never been replaced....? And when your only dropping the frame, not removing it full, do you been to disconnect the steering rack in anyway or will it be fine?

Was also wanting to take it out of the arch, but tried to remove the ABS sensor from the hub and someone has rounded the head of it! Is there any other way to remove it from the other end? If not looks like I cant remove the hub/strut full and I'll just need to take it out of the bottom.

And for the starter motor, do you need to loosen that before you move the gearbox? Because I was planning on unbolting the box and moving it so I had better access to the starter, because I have a sore neck and cant really look up from underneath it for long :eek: just want to make sure its not going to break anything doing it that way if its even possible! Think that's all I have left to do now.

Cheers for any help.

starter has to be removed from the box before it'll move.

Leave the hub/strut assembly in place, just undo the ball joint and remove the shaft

I'd drop it with the rack still on the subframe, only have to undo a 13mm pinch bolt behind the boot on the column then.

That's what I have done, but wanted to move the whole strut so I could try and get the box out of the arch which seems like the best idea doing it on my drive instead of dropping out the bottom.

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing but seen a few people saying that you don't need to touch the rack and you can drop it down enough to get the box out. But don't want to do that if there is a chance of any damage.

Will have a go again when I have my new box on Thursday. And hopefully everything goes to plan!

Cherrs for the help

clio 172 phs 1
It's so much easier dropping the subframe right out! Not too much extra work either,like above i always leave the rack on the subframe,just disconnect the pipes and column shaft

Cheers for the advice.

But got one more question haha. If I need to end up dropping the frame right out how can I support the engine? Because just now the engine is getting held up by a jack under the sump. And would think its not a good idea of putting the whole weight of the engine on one engine mount?

Cheers

clio 172 phs 1
Leave the jack on the sump and raise/lower the engine as required (with the subframe right off the body it's a peice of piss to remove/refit the box)

Sorry, meant the I have unbolted the gearbox mounts and the engine is being supported by the jack and wood just now. So can't just drop the frame to the floor as the jack will the in the way.... But suppose I could just refit one of the mounts then drop the frame down.

Not got one of them. But will see if I can get hold of one.

Not the best time of year to be doing this outside, its raining/snowing again. Hopefully it will be ok tomorrow!

Finally getting some where with this :lolup: And found the starter was alot easier to get from the top instead of the bottom :S

Anyway the last bit am struggling with is the steering rack pinch bolt... I cant remove it, None of my tools or spanners will fit on it and give enough room to loosen it. (13mm) and everyone that can get it must have small hands or something? haha.

Just want to make sure I have the right one ?

C5CA71BE-D2D8-41CA-B4AA-EEFA7E7684C8-1752-00000166B8332F32.jpg

Is there an tricks or tips to getting it out, just about to give up on this for today :banghead:

HBT 172 Cup
Carefully angle the steering wheel and use a long extension bar, i found the angle can still be dodgy and it can slip, best to renew that with a new nyloc when replaced too.

Cheers guys never actually thought of that was to annoyed :lolup:

Got it out finally!

But so far I have managed to snap 3 of the 4 retaining clip on the sub frame bolts. Which is a pain in the ass :dapprove: So gave up today before I broke anything else. But hopefully get it done tomorrow...

Have been busy for the last while and haven't had a chance to finish this yet!

So had another go today and 3 of the 4 retaining are spinning and I cant get them out :(. I have the fog lights out for more access but it feels like the clip on the bolt is stopping the socket catching the nut properly... Is there any tricks to getting them off?

About to give up again just now :lolup: