ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Removal & Clutch Removal while Engine is out (First time) :)

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Some of you may know that i decided to remove the Engine & Gearbox Last weekend.

I'm now going to look at removing the Gearbox and clutch so that i can fit the Engine onto the stand for clean up and change various parts.

Ive seen on the guide that it just looks like removing around 10 bolts from the gearbox case and them it should come away hopefully.

Whats involved with taking the clutch off ? Anthink major.

Any advice and recommendations that i should do while carrying this ou would be most appreciated as i havent done this before and the only way we learn is by giving it ago ourselves !

I think i will be getting a new cambelt kit as a precaution so i will have to see if i can get the Lump down to birchdown or see if anyone Local who would be willing to fit a kit for me as i know this is not somethink amateurs should be messing with !

any feedback would be great

thanks

Mike

DaveL485

ClioSport Club Member
  21T, 9T, Meglio, V6
The clutch, if it's like every other Renault with that style box, will likely be held on with six 6mm allen headed bolts....easy to get off.

Take care though, to-
-Get the release bearing back on the clutch fork right before you reassemble
-note which way the friction plate offset goes when you dismantle it, so you dont put it back in the wrong way. It does make a difference.
-Don't overtorque the bolts.
-Make sure the friction plate is aligned properly before tightening the bolts up. Use an alignment tool if you can.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
I'm assuming i need to remove clutch and flywheel in order tofit engine block to my sealey engine stand ?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I found that an 11mm long socket would have been really helpful on this job. Once you start putting it all back together you'll see where. As said, hold the release bearing in position when refitting the gearbox - I just wedged some cardboard in the hole between the arm and it worked fine. Do the belts yourself, too. Save £ss. Just find someone who will lend you the Renault tools. I'm doing the same and it's better than watching TV.