ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox questions - Clutch,gearbox torque values, subframe bolts and starter motor

I know some people will say "Why not take your car to a garage" ?
Thing is I'd like to do it myself as it seem straight forward enough once started, but have a few questions for piece of mind.

I believe that I need to drop the subframe to change out the clutch and gearbox on my car.

Where are these subframe bolts ?
In each corner ?
And how hard are the power steering rack bolts to get too ?
As i hear they can be ackward, but they are possible to get to.

And what torque value do I need for the clutch assembly bolts ?

Can the starter motor stay in place ?
Or are there bolts that go through it into the gearbox bellhousing ?

What torque value are the bellhousing bolts that go into the engine block ?

And am i correct in thinking.

Drain oil
Battery out
Clutch cable disconnected
Shafts out
Subframe drop
Rack weight supported
Linkage off
Gearbox mounts upper(under battery) and lower and dogbone mount undone supporting engine weight with jack and wood.
Bellhousing Bolts freed off
Manouvre gearbox out.
IS THERE ENOUGH SPACE FOR A STRAIGHT PULL OUT ? OR WILL THE GEARBOX INPUT SHAFT CATCH CLUTCH ASSEMBLY ?
Clutch assembly out
Clean up flywheel and fit new clutch assembly then refit gearboxetc

Last edited:
Re: Gearbox questions - Clutch,gearbox torque values, subframe bolts and starter moto

Anyone able to assist with the torque values ?

HBT 172 Cup
Re: Gearbox questions - Clutch,gearbox torque values, subframe bolts and starter moto

YOu'll never get a torque wrench into the gap of most the bell housing bolts, just do them FT

YOu'll never get a torque wrench into the gap of most the bell housing bolts, just do them FT

The engine is out and gearbox off as it blew the diff
So space ain't an issue and I may as well do it right.