ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Question, 5 Speed Box, 6 Speed Gate

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Got a 2001 172, full history with 28K.
When changing from 5th to 4th it is possible to take the gear lever across the neutral position and into what seems like a 6th gear position, but the box is only 5 speed.

Only had the car a week and it drives like a dream, except for this quirk. No crunches, grating noises, etc, and if you let the springs on the selector linkages do their stuff it goes into 4th ok. Had the cambelt changed before picking up car, but cannot see how this could be connected.

Is this a characteristic of the gearbox or a fault, is it adjustment?

Help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Renault clio 16V Dimma
I have a 1991 valver with JC5 williams gearbox and it does the same thing! You can select what would be a sixth gear position and the stick stays there but nothing happens when clutch is released.
It left me wondering for a while.

When you pull the stick back it feels like it is in gear but when you let the clutch up it there is no drive at all and the engine revs freely, just like being in neutral. If you waggle the stick it feels like it is in a gear (no slop or movement). If you move the stick forward and into neutral it feels like you are taking it out of a gear position. No crunches, grates etc.

Renault clio 16V Dimma
Have not done anything. Drives fine. When cruising on the motorway occasionally try to put it into '6th' since my other car is a WRX spec C with sixth speed box.

NZValver said:
I have a 1991 valver with JC5 williams gearbox and it does the same thing! You can select what would be a sixth gear position and the stick stays there but nothing happens when clutch is released.
It left me wondering for a while.

I got this sorted by Bexhill Gearboxes under warranty. It was caused by a detent ball not functioning on a gear shaft, took them two goes to find it, cos it all worked ok on the bench. Give them a call they were really helpful.