ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox problems

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

My gearbox seems to have a bit of a problem. All the gears go in fine apart from first. Most of the time it works alright but it can catch you out sometimes, seems to happen more when the car is cold.

Anyone else had similar problems.

Rick

BMW 320d Sport

Most Clio boxes are a bit rough like that. 16v ones are renowned for grinding into reverse. And my 1st is always a bit of a struggle when its cold. I would have thought its just the gearbox oil is cold so its more like treacle than oil first thing in the morning.

yeah, mines like that going into second sometimes, doesnt seem to matter if its cold or not, wont do it for weeks, then will catch me out. as u move it into gear it just stops, u have to pull real hard to get it in

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Thats reassuring.
I was fearing the worst, (rebuilds etc.)

Thanks for that
Rick

I have the same problem on my Megane. On its last service an engineer at the dealer said that he had solved the problem on his clio by putting fully synthetic oil in the gearbox. They changed mine and since then it seems to be much better esp in cold weather, but it still sticks sometimes though.

Carl