ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox problem

White 172 ITB's
Having a few problems with my gearbox at the mo. When I’m driving normally everything is fine. If I give it some or change gear quickly I get a horrible crunching noise. I only get this between 3 and 4, all other gear are fine.

Any ideas?

Rusty Cup
syncccrrrroooo mine does this when i boot it in 1st and try change at anything past lethargic revs

Need to get mine looked at in the near future, might be worth getting a spare box just incase it goes pop?

White 172 ITB's
syncccrrrroooo mine does this when i boot it in 1st and try change at anything past lethargic revs

Need to get mine looked at in the near future, might be worth getting a spare box just incase it goes pop?

Is this a full gearbox rebuild or can the syncro just be replaced?

Rusty Cup
i get the impression its in for a penny in for a pound in the sense that its the labour that is the major cost not so much the components involved or atleast you wont save much by not changing something that is borderline in need of doing so, cheapest option is find a replacement box or become friendly with someone who has the ability to do the work :) when i have spare pennies im going to find a spare box use it and maybe get the other re-firbed

White 172 ITB's
box refurb might be a good 400 squid, spare box might get picked up for 250 at best i'd imagine.

This is where i have another problem. I have a ph2 172 but i think the gearbox is from a ph1, as the dogbone mount is straight and not twisted?

If it is, not sure what's been done to block the speedo drive on the box?

Cheers

Rusty Cup
:S not sure about that to be honest but there are plenty of knowledgeable fellows around these parts.

Hope its sortable otherwise just get another ph1 box to replace the one you have.

172 Race Car
We used this guy to do the box on our race car

http://burpspeed.com/Agency/Contact.html

He has done several members cars since and does a great job. He has all the bits on the shelf, can do a full rebuild in a day and its about £300 iirc.

Make sure you mention Burpspeed and he will look after you

White 172 ITB's
We used this guy to do the box on our race car

http://burpspeed.com/Agency/Contact.html

He has done several members cars since and does a great job. He has all the bits on the shelf, can do a full rebuild in a day and its about £300 iirc.

Make sure you mention Burpspeed and he will look after you

What does a full rebuild entail? do they strip the box and replace parts that are worn or damaged?

Does £300 include replacing these parts?

Cheers

172 Race Car
yes he strips right down and replaces any worn parts, syncros and bearings

Its £300 or so all inclusive (think its like £285+vat or something)

He knows about the circlip issues and rectifys it (doesnt weld or bolt it in but machines the groove so the clip fits properly)

Like I say he did our box in less than a day. It was driving ok in the car it came out of but we had it rebuilt for racing anyway. Turns out the planet gears were worn in the diff,3rd/4th syncro was on the way out and a few bearings needed replacing.

We are really pleased with ours, its the best Clio box ive used. It gets a really hard life in racing and its been faultless.

Its a no brainer imo, a full rebuild for about the same as a used box.

White 172 ITB's
yes he strips right down and replaces any worn parts, syncros and bearings

Its £300 or so all inclusive (think its like £285+vat or something)

He knows about the circlip issues and rectifys it (doesnt weld or bolt it in but machines the groove so the clip fits properly)

Like I say he did our box in less than a day. It was driving ok in the car it came out of but we had it rebuilt for racing anyway. Turns out the planet gears were worn in the diff,3rd/4th syncro was on the way out and a few bearings needed replacing.

We are really pleased with ours, its the best Clio box ive used. It gets a really hard life in racing and its been faultless.

Its a no brainer imo, a full rebuild for about the same as a used box.

Perfect... i would prefer a rebuild than buy secondhand and have the same problems again.

Thanks for the advise:D

DMS

A thirsty 172
Is that guy able to do anything to strengthen the standard gearbox?
Mine's still fine, but it'd give me extra peace of mind if the box was stripped and rebuilt with stronger components.

172 Race Car
You wll have to ask him. Im not sure. He said it wasn't nessisary when I asked about ours for racing. We intend to get it rebuilt every season anyway

172 Race Car
he can change the final drive ratio aswell if you needed that done. I think 5th gear ratio is changeable aswell

172 Race Car
He can give you a 60mph top speed in 5th if you want. Or the opposite and anywhere in between.

I think the Cup box is the same ratio's as all phase 2's and 182's

We use a Cup box in ours

White 172 ITB's
Just a quick thought..... i also have a an oil leak from the box. It would appear to be leaking where the box joins the block. if the oil is low could this make it crunch into 4th? if so why doesn't it do it in other gears?