ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil

renault clio 1.4 16v
Its french...:tonguewink:

On most gearboxes, you just fill it up till the level of the filler hole

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Why they dont put oil level checker like the engine has *angry*

Because there is no need. It's a sealed unit and doesn't/shouldn't use oil like an engine does.

The only time you need to check the level is when filling it up, which is done easily (fill it until it's full!)

330i. E30 Touring.
I didnt mean sensor ,i meant dipstick .
Chris who told you to fill it till its full? Full doesnt mean its good

They have done effectively.

Plastic wingnut in the front of the box. Oil level should be up to the bottom of that on level ground.

On a 172/182, capacity is 3.1 litres. Don't bother buying the 4th litre bottle though, 3l is plenty when you consider residue in the box which you'll never remove.

In terms of brands, over the years and about 15 gearbox/clutch changes, i've used Elf, Halfords and Fuchs oils. doesn't make a blind bit of difference as long as the grade is right.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I didnt mean sensor ,i meant dipstick .
Chris who told you to fill it till its full? Full doesnt mean its good

Full as in full to the fill hole. You can't fill it higher than that as oil will run back out of the hole. Hence the fill until it's full comment.

330i. E30 Touring.
Full as in full to the fill hole. You can't fill it higher than that as oil will run back out of the hole. Hence the fill until it's full comment.

Unless, someone perceives the breather hole at the top of the box as the fill hole. (;

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Unless, someone perceives the breather hole at the top of the box as the fill hole. (;

Well yes, but if that's the case then they probably shouldn't be working on the car themselves in the first place!

clio rs
Awesome thx fellas
By the way for me as i know the fill hole is the same hole when the gearbox is full there is no holes except drain/fill/breather
Tom u know i was wondering whats the diff between these two ,nfp and also nfj they are fits to tl4 both.. Just wondering [emoji10]