ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil

My Clio has black oil all over the place under the car the engine oil doesnt seem to be going down so I was wondering if its the gearbox oil. how do you fill it up or check it?

500bhp Scoob

Not sure about checking the level, but to fill it up, theres a cap that screws into the side of the gearbox, or a sump nut (square drive, not sure on the size), this will be at the front of the engine, facing towards the radiator (well on the mk1 clios anyway)

Basically to fill it up just use a bit of pipe or if u can get the little squeezy bottles of gearbox oil, they seem to do a good job.
When oil starts coming out of the filler hole, its full lol.
Make sure you do it on level ground :)

500bhp Scoob

the smell usually gives it away, gearbox oil smells different to normal engine oil, well the stuff ive used anyway.

Colour of oil aswell... noticed when i drained my gearbox oil that the gearbox oil was a sortof grey colour, whereas used engine oil is more brown/black

Williams

Hello!!

I had a gear box oil leak coming from driveshaft. If you can, steam off the underneath so you can see where the leak is coming from. If its inline with the wheels, it could be the driveshaft. Gearbox oil smells horrible!! give it a sniff!