ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil

Elf

Clio 172 cup
Hiya, on a 172 cup does anyone know where to fill up gear box oil ? I think. Mine is running low
Any diagrams would be a real help
Thanks

PH1 172 Sport
There's a butterfly bolt on the front of the box. Unscrew it and fill it through there. The oil needs to be level with the bottom of that hole.

DSC00835.jpg

I think thats the plug iirc! Its roughly 3.5 litres altogether I think. I just used a bit of tubing, and poured it in till it splilled out the hole.

Don't know if its different for sports mind, thats right for a non sport anyway

Westy. MX5
Thats the one^^^^ Sometimes a black plug. Its on the front side of the gearbox facing the radiator, Yer probably have to remove the airbox to make it easier.

340i
3.1L to compeltly fill the box... but you can never fully drain them, so 3L will do to change the box oil :)

Elf

Clio 172 cup
thanks for the helps guys,
any chance of getting a pic/diagram of where to drain it.
i think its better to drain it all out instead of just filling up

also do 172 cups drink oil at all?
if only had it a few weeks and just wondering?
my previous Honda s2000 was drinking like it was an alcoholic but it was normal for those cars.

340i
You wont drain "all" the oil out of the box... but the vast majority of it!

Drain plug is on the bottom of the box, you cant miss it

Maybe a 172 Cup..
May well be corrected mate, but car shouldn't really use gearbox oil. Changes are beneficial to prolong life of gearbox, and also make changes slicker. Recommended as gearboxes are a little bit fragile..

Elf

Clio 172 cup
May well be corrected mate, but car shouldn't really use gearbox oil. Changes are beneficial to prolong life of gearbox, and also make changes slicker. Recommended as gearboxes are a little bit fragile..

sorry mate, my mistake, was talking about using engine oil not gearbox oil

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Ah, no prob's mate. VTEC does gobble engine oil, as do the Rx-8's lad at work used approx a litre of oil a month, and he hardly did any miles!!

Elf

Clio 172 cup
I read om here that

""Go with the oil Renault tells you to and it will go like a dream. Elf Tranself EFJ 75W 80 that is.""

So Im looking for this oil but elf don't seem to do this anymore
They have 2 similar named oils
Which should I go for

TRANSELF NFJ 75W-80 Extreme pressure lubricant based on synthetic technology for very heavy duty manual gearboxes.
API GL4+

Or

TRANSELF NFP 75W-80 Extreme-pressure lubricant of the Super High Performance (SHP) type for very highly stressed gearboxes.
API GL-4+
Renault PXX
Nissan P

Can anyone please shed some light on this matter
Thx