ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil (Royal Purple)

RS RIP
Edde has, Ben p and others..

It's supposed to be the best.. i could'nt get it in Holland so i stuck with the ELF TRX 75w80, recommended oil by Reno and less than half the price of this Royal stuff.

go for it though

PH1 172 Sport
I got it for mine. It made the syncros stick and the gears grind because of this. The box was more clunky than stock and horrible when cold. I would stick to the oil grade recomended by Renault. Gear change is 100 times better since I removed the Royal Purple. Worst £60 ive ever spent!!!

Apart from that its brilliant!!!

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I read your post in another thread caister, hence the reason i made this thread. Cheers for your input. :D

I got it for mine. It made the syncros stick and the gears grind because of this. The box was more clunky than stock and horrible when cold. I would stick to the oil grade recomended by Renault. Gear change is 100 times better since I removed the Royal Purple. Worst £60 ive ever spent!!!

Apart from that its brilliant!!!

Ah so you took my advice and removed it then LOL told ya :rasp:

Dont waste your money on it, this is optimum

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-723-castrol-epx75w80w-gear-oil.aspx

Oh no doubt its good oil, but you MUST use the grade specified when it comes to renault cheese boxes. If they did a gearbox lube in 75/80 GL5 I wouldn't hesitate.

Sorry pal I wasnt taking the piss, at the end of the day you could have taken it to a garage and would have cost you a hell of a lot more so not to bad all in all!

PH1 172 Sport
Sorry pal I wasnt taking the piss, at the end of the day you could have taken it to a garage and would have cost you a hell of a lot more so not to bad all in all!

Didn't think you were taking the piss!!! I was just reluctant to remove the oil as it cost so much even though deep down I knew it ws the right thing to do!!!!

Fair enough! When it comes to gearboxes I dont think it matters as much as having a FS engine oil

Caister: Thats understandable matey, What did you do with the old stuff? I mean it probably hadnt had a chance to break down at all I would have put it back in the tub and sold it back on for some beer tokens

BMW M135i
I'd always stick with the proper viscosity with the renault boxes, it needs all the help it can get. The castrol stuff isn't bad tbh i've used in the my old 1.6 and the 172 and its always been an improvement.

The fuchs stuff is probably worth a try though, I almost ordered that instead of the castrol but stuck with what I knew.