ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Oil Leak

S2000

I have noticed for a while that when I have been coming out of the car after a drive there was a smeel of burning oil if you know what I mean and I think its gearbox oil. The plastic tray that is under the gearbox linkage on my clio (a mk1 1.4 RT) is coverd in oil and so is the area around it on the underside of the car. I was just hoping someone might be able to suggest to me where the oil is likely to be coming from.

I havent had a proper look underneath it yet but when I had a quick look it appeared as though there was oil coming from where the gearbox joins to the rest of the engine. (I think that is where it was but am not 100% as I dont really know too much about engines TBH)

If you could tell me where the common places for it to be leaking from are, how I can check that and how they could be sorted that would be great as I intend to have a good look around underneat tomorrow.

Thanks.

500bhp Scoob

didnt you replace your rocker cover gasket not so long ago? because oil was leaking, going down into the spark plug recesses and down the front of the engine.

If so, then its still burning it off no doubt.

If you havent lost any oil, then its just the old leaked stuff burning off, takes ages

S2000

Ill have a look tomorrow mate but around the gearbox it is really covered in oil. Ill check the gearbox oil level tomorrow as well because that was topped up about 3 or 4 weeks agoand since I have done about 700 miles. If it has gone down a fair bit then I will know that the gearbox is leaking. Ill also give it a good clean as I would imagine that is the only way to get rid of the smell if it is old oil?

Its about a month and a half since I did the rocker cover gakset and about 100 miles

500bhp Scoob

get yourself some gunk engine degreaser, and just degrease as much as u can :)

I remember mine just stank for ages, about 3000 odd miles, and by then id taken the engine out