ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Oil Change - R27/197

Nimbus R27
Would anyone care to explain how to change the Gearbox oil on a R27/197. Mines feeling quite clunky and stiff in the morning so I am going to change the oil for some quality stuff but not sure how to do it. Had a quick look underneath last weekend but didnt really see much. Wheres the drain point and where do you fill the gearbox oil back up from?

Thanks in advance!

iirc there is an 8-10mm square plug on the underside of the box you won't miss it. Undo it and catch the old oil, on the front of the box is a wing nut undo that and put a 2ft piece of hose in the hole then put a funnel on the other end and refill.

i think its quite normal to be stiff and clunky on a cold start.

Nimbus R27
Cheers mate, I'll have another look underneath next weekend. How do you get to the front of the box? Probably a stupid question haha. Do you have to take undertray off?

Thanks again.

Renault Clio 197
You will also require an 8mm MALE square socket to remove the drain plug and one of Renaults "1 use only" squashable copper washers to re-seal the drain plug. If you try and use them again nine times out of ten they leak. The filler plug is located on the left side (looking from rear of vehicle) of the gearbox housing approximately 20cm above the drive shaft and is a wing nut made from white plastic. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! As detailed above use a length of hose small enough to fit into the filler hole, run it out the top of the engine bay and put a funnel on the end. You will need just under 2 liters of gear oil. I am using Redline MTL and 2 containers were enough for the change; it was just dripping out the filler hole as is required. Hope your gear oil change cures your issues.