ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox issue on 1.8 16 vale

Renault Clio 1.8 16v 1995
Hi all

currently i have just purchased a clio 1.8 16 valve with the gearbox jammed in 3rd. does any one have any ideas on what to do?????? i am trying to find a recon box at the moment thanks jon:rolleyes:

also has anyone had experience change the cambelt???

no the guy said he stopped to put it in reverse and it just would not move as it became jammed in 3rd... i am not sure what to believe. Can the cambelt be done if the engine is dropped?? or does it need the top mount off and engine right out???? thanks

Clio 16v turbo
mine start crunching really bad then i pulled up and turned it off.... went bak to the car an it was jammed in what drove like third but gear stik was in the N position. Iv had 6 gear boxes in my valver now, 2nd hand ones evrytime and they always fail. Then i had one from a volvo re-cond and its mint now, even took it to the ring!! just get urs re cond for about 350. as for the cambelt yes it is do able in the engine bay.

S2000
As said above the cambelt is do-able with the engine still in place - just need to remove the top mount and support the engine from below. Its a bit of a pain as there won't be much room but can be done.

As for the gearbox it will probably just be the gearbox fucked but try posting on clio16valver.co.uk or williamsclio.co.uk as you'll get more people with a better idea of Mk1's on there.

I am getting some silly prices to fit.. i think i will do what you said and get mine refurbed

williams and trophy
personally, id get a box from reno. the willy box is only £600, iv had recon boxes before, £400s worth...lasted about 9 months, whereas the 2nd hand boxes iv had for a fraction of the cost have usually lasted slightly longer.

cambelt can be done in situ in a couple of hours, no real biggy, bit of a bugger for accessibility but not really all that hard.

Valver
Can get a valver box of ebay for well under £100, pot luck though. Got one for £70 start of last year and its lasted so far, but thats with slow gear changes and minimal abuse.

Thanks guys. Is there anywhere who sell a good re-con??? also does anyone know someone who would take on the task of fitting a cambelt for me????

S2000
Thanks guys. Is there anywhere who sell a good re-con??? also does anyone know someone who would take on the task of fitting a cambelt for me????

Where are you based mate?

If you ask on the sites I mentioned above there is a good chance of finding someone local who would consider doing it for you.

i am based in cumbria, barrow-in-furness thanks.. yes i am going to put a post there tonight. cheers.